So its cool to miter tubing now?

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register
May 14, 2006
west Texas
I've been wondering this too. The only place I've ever felt comfortable ever seeing a mitered join was on non structural edges like a core support or harness bar. Maybe it's a stronger design? I would like to see a distruction test done on this type of joint.

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
Oh man, there are so many places I like them. lower bumper x-member tubes, engine cage, Top tubes exiting cab, rear x-members & bulkhead type structures on bedcage, etc. Essentially where I want something to look angular. Or, where I could use a longer straight section of tube... like main seat tube cross members. (bends can waste some space)

I like bends for when you you are matching anything with a radius(obviously) like bumpers and a-pillars... or on something where I want it to look like it flows more.

But, I'm not worried about the strength too much. I mean if what we are talking about is a single hoop with some supports and a single diagonal like mentioned above... well yea... I'm gonna want that hoop to be one piece with bends. There's so much more structure in what we are doing though.

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds