Sort of like a Jeepspeed XJ

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

SByota

Jul 16, 2003
Started working on the rear suspension. Got the axle out and all the old brackets off. My $300 amazon Lotos plasma cutter just keeps impressing me. It made quick work of the original shock mounts and leaf spring pads. Hung the new springs, pulled them apart and made some quick spacers out of wood to start cycling the rear suspension. All new spring perches, plates and u-bolts from Ruffstuff.

SByota

Jul 16, 2003
Will the springs cycle without lifting the rear of the vehicle with 3 leaves on there?
Yes sir, this is as far as they break down without taking them off again. The body just starts the move off the jack stands when the springs go into 2” of negative arch. I’m going to bump them before that. Deaver told me 1” negative arch in a non race application wold be fine.

Jan 29, 2002
Yuma, Az
Must be nice having the weight of that vehicle working on your favor, leaf sprung truck with no bed = no weight..haha

I’ve had to cycle the rear of the Toyota so many times I despise doing it more then anything. Ratchet straps all over!

SByota

Jul 16, 2003
Must be nice having the weight of that vehicle working on your favor, leaf sprung truck with no bed = no weight..haha

I’ve had to cycle the rear of the Toyota so many times I despise doing it more then anything. Ratchet straps all over!
That sounds like a serious pain in the ass. I always just threw 200-300 lbs of weight in the bed to hold it down when cycling leafs on a truck.

SByota

Jul 16, 2003
I had to remake the shackles because the first set I made hit the body at bump and droop. Got the springs all set up, a solid 11" of travel, just need to pull the axle, add the bump pads, re gear and build the truss.

Old vs. New

Dimple die everything

SByota

Jul 16, 2003
Started the air bump mounts for the rear. I am so jealous of guys with plasma tables that can slice out parts like this in seconds, its takes so much time to layout and make this kind of stuff. I also scored 200 feet of DOM tubing for $100!! Some of it has some surface rust, but there was no way I could pass it up. Had to ghetto rig from supports from some old 4x6 beams, but it worked.

SByota

Jul 16, 2003
It has air bumps. Welding on the XJ "frame" continues to kick my ass, I just can't seem to get it dialed in. I'm sure it is glued on there good, I just wish it looked better. Yes, I'll trim the retaining bolt down during final assembly.

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds