Sort of like a Jeepspeed XJ

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

SByota

Jul 16, 2003
Cage install started and is moving along slowly. The cage started as a kit from T&J Performance in Orange, CA. I did this to save time and the cost wasn't horrible, $800. They designed it to fit with the stock headliner in place. I'm 6'04" so head room is a major concern for me. I pushed the whole cage as close to the sheet metal as I could. I had to re-make a few of the roof crossbars to gain some headroom. I'm still pretty impressed with the kit.

Failed on making a radius corner gusset, so I cut in half and practiced some out of position welding. Step by step this garage anchor is getting closer.

Turboyota

Mar 29, 2017
Yucaipa
Excellent! I’ve been patiently waiting to see what you had in mind for cagework. Please post pics of how the A/B pillars tie into the unibody.

Do you plan on sheet metal tie-ins to the cab in other locations not supplied with the kit?

SByota

Jul 16, 2003
Excellent! I’ve been patiently waiting to see what you had in mind for cagework. Please post pics of how the A/B pillars tie into the unibody.

Do you plan on sheet metal tie-ins to the cab in other locations not supplied with the kit?
I’ll post pics when I get there. I’ll use the sandwich to plates at the floor then either tube or plate from the bottom plate to the “frame”.

Yes I have a sheet of 18ga waiting to make cage to body plates. I would like the pimp factor of silicon bronze TIG brazing them all in, but it takes forever!! I’ll probable just trigger weld them :cool:

SByota

Jul 16, 2003
Got the rear shocks mounted and cycled today. I would have liked to made them straight up. but I was limited by the rear seat. This build is a series of compromises to keep it safe and passenger/ road trip friendly. I will build some sheet metal boxes over the socks to seal the cab back up. A few tubes and lots of tube corner gussets to go on the cage, but the main structure is done. I'll drill the floor and drop the cage down to fully weld it.

SByota

Jul 16, 2003
Sweet build. I have a 98 I'm building for Jeepspeed class 2700.
Thanks. Post some pics of your!

Added some more to tubes to the cage. Pulled out the side windows and started getting ready to weld the cage up.
I’m really out of practice fitting tubes, especially ones that intersect 2 or more other tubes. 2 c pillar diagonals took me like 2 hours ?

SByota

Jul 16, 2003
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but having your shocks leaned back slightly like that is the "correct" way to do it. The axle moves back as it moves up.
Like most things in building trucks, opinions on what is “correct” varies widely. My shocks are at 90 degrees and full bump. So as the axle droops it swings forward a few inches and of course the shocks follow. Mine setup only had 11” of wheel travel and uses about the same shock travel, so it’s pretty much 1:1. Since I have 14” shocks, I can easily do this and not run out of shock. Nothing is too extreme as far as angles or travel goes.

If I were setting up a longer travel leaf spring like a spring under 62” or 64” I would spend more time making sure the shocks didn’t do anything weird. My simple brain says the same principles apply though.

the bodj

1st post pg805
Mar 4, 2010
Moorpark
Exactly. So leaning it back will keep it more or less at that 1:1 ratio. Mine were set up nearly the same on my old truck. I think we're both saying the same thing lol

SByota

Jul 16, 2003
Back from the dead. Life has been busy, two bathroom remodels, family stuff etc. I got a new daily driver, 2003 1500HD, that got some fresh parts. Texas Speed cam, headers, tune, 5160 shocks, wheels tires and tons of new steering suspension parts. Feels good to be back into a full size again.

The XJ saw daylight for the first time in two years. The only thing left to get it in the dirt is to re-gear/truss the rear end and finish the roll cage. Hoping to get it ready for KOH in February.

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds