Straight Axle Ranger Build

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register
Feb 24, 2003
Las Vegas
Hopefully you don't have issues with your fuel system setup. I've had some success and some failures with pumps mounted in line that far from the cell. I now almost always figure out how to mount the pump internal. And I setup duals cause it's just nice piece of mind.

Feb 5, 2010
San Diegoish
Hopefully you don't have issues with your fuel system setup. I've had some success and some failures with pumps mounted in line that far from the cell. I now almost always figure out how to mount the pump internal. And I setup duals cause it's just nice piece of mind.
I was worried about this too, but Marcytech has been running this style setup on 2 different builds with this same pump and had a lot of success. Not saying I will too, but seems like something to chance. He ran it on his ranger and silverado, and my friend who raced jeepspeed for a while ran one of these pumps on his race car. It is further from the tank than I would like, so I'm hoping the internal hydramat sump and gravity from the top of the tank will help keep the pump alive

Feb 5, 2010
San Diegoish
Last night I starting working on a removable cover for the fuel components on the frame. I don't like the idea of the parts not having something to protect them, so I started with some high quality cardboard and mocked up the cover

The bumped out sections are because the pressure regulator and pump are wider than the width of the frame. I wanted to have plenty of clearance for those so i just bumped the panel out 2" on a 45ish degree angle.

After I got that part done, I used some of the left over sheet metal from the rear firewall that was in the red explorer donor and made all the panels. Its only 1/8" or something but will be perfect for what I am using it for.

Because I don't have a break and trying to make compound bends on a vise or a royal pain in the ass, I decided to cut all the angle pieces out flat and will piece everything together under the truck.

I will be using rivnuts along the top and bottom of the frame rail that use the same size allen screws that hold the fender flares on, so I can use the same bit I made for that to remove these panels whenever I need to.

It was pretty dark by the time i finished, so I went ahead and cut the bumper up instead of continuing on the cover.

NOW the bumper is looking more along the lines of what I had in my head. I still need to add some material along the bedside and finish the other two mounting brackets, but it is really close to being ready for removal and final welding.

Feb 24, 2003
Las Vegas
Yeah, I'm definitely not saying it won't work. I've literally had two successfully work like that and equally have two I could never get to work at all out side of the tanks. And I'm talking everything from e2000 autozone pumps to aeromotive to bosch 044's that worked and didn't worked mounted in all sorts of distances, angles, size of hoses, filter configurations, etc. LOL On the other hand I've never had a fuel pump end my day since I wired up dual internals so bullet proof basically with a back up pump on demand.

Feb 5, 2010
San Diegoish
got it. Good to know. My c10 with a late model ls and similar setup to this has never had a problem either. I am running the in-take GM style fuel pump in it. I would have loved to go with that setup in this truck too, just wasn't cost effective. I can always change that in the future though if I have a lot of issues.

One thing I am worried about is this braided line. I've had a few friends with similar setups say the internal line leaks after a few months. I just spent all this money on the cutter style fittings, so push-lok setups would require all new fittings and lines. I'm crossing my fingers I don't have that issue.

Feb 24, 2003
Las Vegas
Yeah, the f150 in my avatar has a LS based setup in it. I currently have a bosch 044 mounted like you do and it works but it occasionally has hiccups. The whole truck though is under the knife right now getting a lot of things fixed, changed, improved and one of those is setting up dual in tank pumps. I've for an aeromotive laying around and the bosch 044 is also rated for running in tank so I should be problem free after that.

I've had good luck with the steel braided but I do actually prefer the russel push lock stuff myself. I plumbed the whole EFI system that I put in my '67 mustang and I don't know if I could go back to dealing with steel braided now after doing that cause it's so simple. The fuel line they use definitely looks to be quality!

Feb 5, 2010
San Diegoish
Worked the majority of the weekend on this thing. There was a big section of the frame that was cut out back in 2011 so I could mount my VIAR tank on the side of the frame really tight to the frame rail. It was a stupid reason, and therefore I added some left over material I cut off the bumper back to the frame to bring some rigidity back into that spot.

I hate welding upside down. oh well, i got good penetration, and its under the truck so hopefully most people don't see my ugly ass welds

I decided to use cushion clamps, nutserts, and button head allen screws for all the mounting brackets, wiring harness, and fuel line mounts. This is the same size allen screw that hold on the fender flares, so it limits the number of tools I'll need to carry (or risk of losing). The rock/dirt shield that I am building will also be held on with the same hardware. I made a tool that connects to my battery powered impact driver so taking everything out is super easy.

Speaking of the shield, I got really close to finishing it this weekend. This thing has taken a lot more work than i originally thought it would be, but I also went back and forth from under the truck to the table multiple times. Here it is after spot welding all the jonts from the multiple pieces of sheetmetal.

After copious amounts of grinding, I got it down to this

After this I decided to plate the whole section of the frame, so I went back to cardboard and added some more pieces to it. I ran out of time, but will post up pictures of it all finished, likely tomorrow. Once I get the panel finished, I can weld the nutsert tabs on, paint all the metal, then bolt up all the wiring and lines.

Feb 5, 2010
San Diegoish
got the shield almost wrapped up. I need to do a little more trimming where the lines come down, but it is very close.

Sorry for the dark pics, it was dark when i finished up tonight. I decided after it was all welded together that being a single piece is not a pain, so I'm going to keep it that way at least for now. If it becomes a hassle in the future, I can always modify it then.

all I have left is to trim a little more around the lines, drill all the mounting holes for the tabs, then weld all the tabs onto the frame, remove everything one more time, paint, and reinstall for the final time.

After that I have to do the wiring. My mounting kit for the hydramat should be in this week, so maybe we can test fire this thing this weekend...

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds