Straight Axle Ranger Build

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register
Feb 5, 2010
San Diegoish
began painting, but wanted to show all the bracing I did on the inside. I don't think I will need to triangulate the corner anymore than it is, but if it comes to it, I will in the future.

I used scrap that I trimmed off the bumper to make all the brackets and bracing on the underside of the bumper, and I used some scraps from the explorer cage to make the corner braces. One side was too short, so I sleeved it with some 1.25" tubing. Should be fine.

got it bolted up, and while the fitment isn't perfect, it'll do.

I plan on adding D rings and a swing out tire carrier at a later date, but right now I need to get this truck out of my way so I can get the explorer in front of the garage and get some work done on it for desert season

the bodj

1st post pg805
Mar 4, 2010
Moorpark
No offense, but that bumper is going to get tweaked to oblivion if you ever drag it on a rock or actually have to pull something of any moderate size with the D ring.

Feb 5, 2010
San Diegoish
No offense, but that bumper is going to get tweaked to oblivion if you ever drag it on a rock or actually have to pull something of any moderate size with the D ring.
You may be right...

The other one i built hasn't had a problem. he doesn't wheel crazy trails or anything though. He's pulled a couple XJs out and a camry plowed his truck in the ass and the bumper didn't budge. The front bumper on this truck is the same wall thickness and has been beat all over the place, and has a winch on it that has been used a lot. I did end up getting 1 good sized dent at the very bottom of one of the flat panels, but it just tweaked the edge. The only thing I am thinking about is adding another panel on the bottom so the lip doesnt catch on a ledge or rock.

Thanks for the feedback dude. now that you say that, and I look at it more and more, I think i am going to pull it back off and add that panel across the bottom. I'm still waiting on the damn mounting kit for the hydramat anyway, so i can't move the truck, might as well keep working on other things. Thanks again!

Feb 5, 2010
San Diegoish
so the Bodj's feedback made me go investigate what all those overlandy tacomas are running. Looks like mine is very similar, except they use 1/4" mounting brackets to the sides of the frame, which wouldn't be bad, I could always double up the thickness, but I really don't think it is needed with the two bolts that are directly into the rear crossmember. The other big difference that i see in theirs vs mine is they are all C Channel design where mine is just an L shape. So I am definitely going to add a lip across the bottom to provide that additional strength. I'll post up a pic once I get it fixed.

Feb 5, 2010
San Diegoish
finally able to get back on this project. This past weekend I worked on a getting the truck running and finishing up the rear bumper. As I mentioned in my previous post, i wanted to add some stiffness to the bottom of the bumper. I just used the same 3/16" plate all around the bottom

I'm really happy with how the corners came out. I used my torch to heat the metal until it was glowing red, then a mini-sledge and a pair of vise grips to form the metal to match the curvature of the bumper. Then of course added some more booger welds and ground everything down smooth

as for the first start up since replacing the fuel system, it went surprisingly well. A friend of mine has a really nice pressure gauge so he brought it over so we could get the regulator on the rail up to snuff. I did not know the exploder 5.0 had an on-the-rail regulator, but it does on the back of the intake. I went through and did a final tighten on all the fittings, and spending money on good parts was worth it. The fuel pump kicked on immediately as it is supposed to, and the first turn of the key the truck started. There was a very small leak right at the pump where I didn't get one of the adapter fittings quite tight enough, but other than that, the truck ran awesome. Below is a video, although I'm not sure if it will work...

So now I gotta sell off this Ford truck I bought (you can see it in one of the pictures) and the money from that is going to finishing this phase of the truck. Jordan at Coin Jar will be adding bump stops, having the driveshafts made, adding the swaybar, and redesigning the engine cage, and rebuilding the shocks all around. After those, the truck should be wheelable. Goal is to have it ready for a shakedown run for Tierra Del Sol Desert Safari 2019.

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds