Trophy Truck Acceleration

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

the bodj

1st post pg805
Mar 4, 2010
Moorpark
I'm in the final stages of getting my masters of education and teaching credential to teach high school physics. I try to write interesting problems for my students that I think they'll like, using real-ish world numbers. For example, I wrote a simple problem about a Mustang whose motor blew up and slowed to a stop from 140mph, and the students had to find the work done to slow it in a certain distance (rest assured, I used kg, m/s, etc to all the engineering nerds out there). Anyways, this got me thinking about the real world acceleration numbers of various objects. Humans, passenger cars, sports cars, motorcycles... when this video popped up on my youtube
[VIDEO]
and it got me thinking to the acceleration numbers of these trucks. Does anyone have any clue as to what rate they can accelerate at under ideal circumstances? Or if anyone has any HP/TQ figures at the wheels? Actually, I might not even need that. I could get a pretty solid approximation from Cameron Steel's 1/4 mile time on that youtube clip... the gears in my head are turning hah. I'll update y'all when I get a free minute to crunch some numbers.

84projectford

Sep 8, 2010
Phoenix Az
I'm in the final stages of getting my masters of education and teaching credential to teach high school physics. I try to write interesting problems for my students that I think they'll like, using real-ish world numbers. For example, I wrote a simple problem about a Mustang whose motor blew up and slowed to a stop from 140mph, and the students had to find the work done to slow it in a certain distance (rest assured, I used kg, m/s, etc to all the engineering nerds out there). Anyways, this got me thinking about the real world acceleration numbers of various objects. Humans, passenger cars, sports cars, motorcycles... when this video popped up on my youtube
[VIDEO]
and it got me thinking to the acceleration numbers of these trucks. Does anyone have any clue as to what rate they can accelerate at under ideal circumstances? Or if anyone has any HP/TQ figures at the wheels? Actually, I might not even need that. I could get a pretty solid approximation from Cameron Steel's 1/4 mile time on that youtube clip... the gears in my head are turning hah. I'll update y'all when I get a free minute to crunch some numbers.
i was just going to suggest camerons drag video. that would give you all the info you need for the kids. trying to figure it out based on dirt is too much a variable. As long as you know the vehicle weight (roughly 8-8.5k), you can derive a very close hp/tq from the 1/4 mile time. We have this discussion on the our diesel forum all the time because people want to post their retarded dyno numbers on a stock engine but track times dont even come close to backing it up.

May 30, 2006
Ventura, CA.
They accelerate approximately like a 2000 Toyota Sienna van up until around 70 mph then the actual hp kicks in after getting all that shit moving and they start clipping pretty good lol Hope it helps<3

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds