Wiper arm clearance for cage? First gen Tacoma

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

breynolds710

Oct 4, 2016
Looking to add these tubes to my cage and I'm not really sure how to modify the wiper arms in the cowl to make it all jive together. What can be done here? My thought was to turn the wipers on and see how far the arms travel then bend up a piece of 1/2" solid rod into a trapezoid a little longer than the travel of the arm and weld it in place before cutting the arm out for tube clearance. Pardon my super sick Photoshop skillzzzzz lol

Not even sure I can get a MIG welder in there to do this but it may work? I also have a TIG which can be fit in tighter areas...
Screen Shot 2018-12-15 at 6.36.10 AM.png

bdL9i5B8TSWm9E7A8LRJ+Q.jpg
Xp+9hNlWSUigV%bbfbGIGw.jpg

breynolds710

Oct 4, 2016
Some people notch the tube and plate it in for wiper arm clearance. Not sure if that's am option for you.

Sent from my SM-G900T3 using Tapatalk
I'll have to see. I think that would work for the driver side as the arm is lower in the cowl but the passenger side would be directly in the middle of the tube it looks like. Re routing the arm around the tube was the only way I thought of that wouldn't compromise tube strength at all.

bri_man57

Need to Build
Jul 11, 2005
Ventura, California
I'll have to see. I think that would work for the driver side as the arm is lower in the cowl but the passenger side would be directly in the middle of the tube it looks like. Re routing the arm around the tube was the only way I thought of that wouldn't compromise tube strength at all.
Ya it would only work if it's a portion that needs to be notched. I think you can get away with going around the Tube. When I did mine I was young and moved the wiper motor (it's a ranger) because a tube "just had to go there". Ended up making my own linkage, motor mount, and have had some problems with it. It's works okay at best. Definitely regret doing that lol.

Sent from my SM-G900T3 using Tapatalk

85yota

TT Motorsports
Nov 18, 2004
Phoenix, AZ
Put the tubes as close to top of cowl then just bend the linkages a bit to clear. That's how much tacoma is and has wipers still.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Oct 1, 2018
San Diego
I was reading this yesterday while buying tires and had a similar thought. Bending the linkage or building new rods bent for clearance seems like the best option while maintaining the geometry of the linkage. The other thought I had was to go to one large center mounted wiper or offset to the driver's side. With the single arm I would increase the number of sprayer and use copious amounts of rain x.

breynolds710

Oct 4, 2016
Put the tubes as close to top of cowl then just bend the linkages a bit to clear. That's how much tacoma is and has wipers still.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
Thanks Tommy. I was thinking about this last night and bending the rods might be an option. The wipers themselves are splined so they can be installed in whatever orientation. And they’ll always travel the same amount unless I change the spot where the arms bolt to the discs under the cowl (not sure if this is making any sense).

Do you have any pictures showing how much yours needed to be bent?

breynolds710

Oct 4, 2016
I was reading this yesterday while buying tires and had a similar thought. Bending the linkage or building new rods bent for clearance seems like the best option while maintaining the geometry of the linkage. The other thought I had was to go to one large center mounted wiper or offset to the driver's side. With the single arm I would increase the number of sprayer and use copious amounts of rain x.
I’d like to stick with the parts I have and I know I have options to do so. While completely re-engineering it is possible, I’m going to stick with changing around what I have.

Thinking out loud again. Bending the arms, will they have to be bent the same amount? The driver side needs almost nothing to clear the tube but the pass side needs a bit more. They work in conjunction with each other so bending one more than the other might put them in a bind (?) I know bending them will change the overall length but not sure how that would affect how they move. Maybe there is enough slop that it won’t matter.

breynolds710

Oct 4, 2016
Got a wild hair and decided to get some done on this side of the project last night. Air body saws are the shit! Don’t know how I’ve been fabbing for this long without it

Just have the driver side tube to make then I’ll pull the arms out and modify them.

Latest posts

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds