XJ valving recommendations

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

SByota

Jul 16, 2003
Looking for a little guidance on the valving for my XJ build.

1997 Jeep Cherokee

Front Suspension

Long arm 4 link with panhard bar about 10" travel with single 2.5 King smooth body. 235 in/lbs springs. Tall prothane bump stops inside the spring. Working 4x4 on 35" tall tires.

Rear suspension

Deaver G9 springs, extended shackle, 14" King 2.5 smooth body shock. 2.0 2" travel air bumps. 12"ish travel.

It will have a full T&J cage, roof rack and a full size spare mounted to the rear bumper.

Very similar to a Jeepspeed, but won't be beat nearly as hard. Built to be a kind of do all rig, something to go to the races and camping in. Able to move along quickly, but I know it's not a race truck. I have rebuilt plenty of shocks and have no problem swapping shims out. I'm willing to work on it, just looking for some input on a starting point. I'm willing to sacrifice some big hit performance, to gain a better ride at slow to medium speed. Let's be honest, a 4.0 won't push 35's very fast

My thought on a starting point.

Front Compression
1.75 .010
1.30 .015
1.75 .010
1.60 .010
1.45 .015
1.30 .015
1.15 .015

Front rebound
Straight .012 stack

Rear compression
Same as front

Rear rebound
Straight .008 stack

SByota

Jul 16, 2003
Never valved a jeep before but that sounds like a good start, might need to slow the rebound down a bit in the rear too. Also have at least one bleed screw open, maybe even 2
I was thinking 2 bleeds open to start. As far as the rear rebound, your thinking more like a .008/.010 combo stack? I was always under the impression that rear leaf valving was super light rebound to help the suspension extend. I'm a rookie at this just trying to expand my knowledge and foster conversation.

SByota

Jul 16, 2003
After much reading and talking to people, I went with 15's in the front and 12's in the back on the compression side, still using the stack I posted. Getting the front end mocked up now. For anyone who needs help with nitrogen, I have a nitrogen bottle and fill
station now. Located in Ventura.

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds