yamaha kid's 94 Ranger Race Truck

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

yamaha kid

2073 KTB Racing Ranger
Nov 7, 2007
Menifee, CA
Rage was a freaking blast! I loved the course and I think its the most fun Ive had racing this year. I pulled double duty again and raced 7s Pro and 2000 classes. Had a good run in the Saturday morning 7s heat and finished first for the day. The truck developed a misfire half way through the last lap and we ultimately couldnt get it figured out so the truck ran on 5 cylinders for most of the weekend. Im not really sure how but I managed to pull off a second for the Saturday Class 2000 heat.

In the Sunday 7s Pro heat the truck started cleaning out at higher rpm and came back alive a little bit after the start and was running about 85%. I tagged a rock chasing Jeremy Henderson which caused a flat that we had a hard time changing and it ultimately cost us the win so we had to settle for second in 7s for the weekend. Started on the first row in the 2000 heat and got gapped unbelievably hard off the start lol. Truck went back to running like crap and we were getting passed by trucks that shouldn't have been passing us lol. I got so damn frustrated I just held the pedal to the floor and drove just to see what I could break lol. I was actually surprised nothing broke and we pulled off a third for the Sunday 2000 heat. Ended up 3rd overall in 2000 for the weekend.

With the way the truck was running I was surprised to even finish and to end up on the podium in both classes was icing on the cake.

4B5B6A2A-F284-4103-927A-71006AFDAA7F.jpeg
96FE3085-A9F1-42AF-AA46-CCA3F50D1E1D.jpeg
7CB00C41-13A0-4BE9-AB7E-A639624A7C90.jpeg

Aug 10, 2004
OC/BAJA
wow, what a year. i think a roll would kill my fun for about 2 years. i work very slow. sloth speed. double thumbs up for the come back.

i had the same problem with the ears on the dana 44 beam. until i fixed it i would grind down the alignment cam so it would fit better. carried spares in my tool bag because they would break in half. i bought some billet ends from geoff (giant) and he and i (mostly him) using his jig notch out the top one and kinda did a cut and reverse turn on my beams so i can get a lower ride height.

Aug 10, 2004
OC/BAJA
oh, and where did you get the idea for making your radius arms inboard of the frame? only a few trucks like that. it is a lot harder to make and any trans work is difficult. mine are just inboard of the frame but not to much so i can still pull the trans.

yamaha kid

2073 KTB Racing Ranger
Nov 7, 2007
Menifee, CA
oh, and where did you get the idea for making your radius arms inboard of the frame? only a few trucks like that. it is a lot harder to make and any trans work is difficult. mine are just inboard of the frame but not to much so i can still pull the trans.
I thought about it for a while after seeing the pics of the ranger on its side at ROR and then after seeing how good the Psychotic Tundra and other ODR built trucks worked. My truck isnt anywhere near as capable as them but I figured I would do something a little different lol. The truck was down for a while for the motor swap so I figured why not try it out and after mocking it up with scrap and cycling it I pulled the trigger.

My biggest regret is that its a PITA to pull the trans and it would be a ton of work to do in the desert if I ever had to. The front has to be drooped out and the radius arms unbolted and pivoted outwards to drop the crossmember before the trans will come out. But it works pretty damn good so I think the performance advantage outweighs the inconvenience. But what is convenient about a race truck anyways? hahaha

Jun 2, 2008
Hemet, CA
I figured its time to update this thread since Ive been terrible at it and mostly post on Instagram. Ive been pretty active with racing this year and have had the truck out quite a bit since I rolled it. I will update the events Ive done since then in chronological order.

The Juberas came by the week of the SNORE Caliente race in June and helped get the truck ready even though they couldnt make it to the race. Ryan kicked ass on scabbing the new top half off the cab on. View attachment 210433
This is how the truck looked on Wednesday the week of the race lol. I didnt have time to take any pics of the truck from this point on until after the “race” because in typical K Baugh fashion it was a mad dash to make it to the starting line. I put race in quotes because I did make it to Caliente but it was an absolute shit show. I made it off the line dead last, 30 mins late and with no codriver and the truck shut off a 1/2 mile later so I threw in the towel. This is the only pic I got in Caliente haha
View attachment 210434
Lmfao. Funniest pic I've seen on here in a long time.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds