Default 1985 CR500 for sale

My dad owns a 1985 Honda CR500. We were recently trying to plan a riding trip and we decided to go over the bike and make sure things were in good working order since it had been sitting for a while. We found out that the water pump had failed. The shaft had twisted apart inside the casing. The impeller is fine and so is the gear. We took the side cover with the water pump and cover to a mechanic to see if he had another one around his shop. He had nothing and was going to try and find one but, of course, had no luck. At this point my dad doesn't really want to spend the time looking for a replacement.

Sorry to ramble on. I'll get to the important part. Again, the bike is a 1985 Honda CR500. My dad is the 2nd owner (purchased from my uncle) so I'm not positive about the amount of hours or riding it had on it before we got it. I do know that my dad's only ridden it a couple times. The carb was cleaned and inspected when he bought it 5 years ago. The tank was drained and he ran the carb dry after his last ride and it hasn't been ridden since. It has an FMF Gold Series Fatty pipe and an old Answer spark arrestor on it. No other engine mods. We removed ONLY the parts necessary to get to the water pump. All parts removed are still in working condition. If you're interested in this bike, my dad would like to get $500 OBO for it. I live in Orange County, CA. PM me for a phone number only if you're serious about it or if you have a picture request of a certain part of the bike.

I apologize for such a long ad. Just tried to make it as detailed as I could because I would like to know about something before I buy it too.

Here are a few pics...

Last edited by jimbo486; 03-17-2008 at 04:30 PM. Reason: photo links didn't work

bump...

bump. i need this gone. someone make me an offer. i'm considering parting it out.

bump... i've got a couple of people interested. if you can do better than 400, it's yours.

bump. c'mon guys. need this thing gone. the one guy who was ready to pick it up seems to be flaking on me.

sold...I picked it up today
    Josh

Not Economically Viable J.Johnson's Avatar

Bad ass bike.! I owned one for 16 years. I am sorry I sold it. You can find the wp shaft from honda. I also repaired my old one and had it for a spare. These bikes were natorious for rotting wp shafts. Make sure u use Honda coolant and drain it if it is going to sit for a long period. Have fun with it.
    JAKE'S fabworks

You only have to be 10% smarter than what your working on!

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Jak...90439714330870

honda doesnt make the part anymore, unless you know somewhere else to find it?
    Josh

Quote Originally Posted by Josh1254 View Post
    honda doesnt make the part anymore, unless you know somewhere else to find it?
    check e bay and some older honda parts stores on line. Buy 2 if you can
    chink or die 200cc 3rd world moto adventures
    TBH

thanks josh! sorry guys. haven't been on here in a while, so i wasn't able to post that it had sold. it was a great bike and yes they're very notorious for water pumps rotting. same thing happened with my '85 250 which i sold cuz the water pump failed and the motor seized while i was 15 miles from camp in lucerne! that wasn't a fun trip. very important to do your preventative maintenance. and yeah if it's been sitting for a while, drain and replace the coolant. i've heard a lot of guys say that engine ice coolant is well worth the investment. anyone with a honda from '85 to '89 the part's discontinued through honda. if you can find a junker from '85 to '89 it'll work. josh, who bought the bike, told me that he found one from someone and was told it would work. so good luck josh! i'm not being sarcastic at all. i just gave up looking for one. so if you have a chance to make it run, you'll have fun!!

that gear on the shaft was the only difference from 85 to 01. The 85 was metal and the newer gears are a hard plastic. I have the new one in the bike and now just waiting for the gaskets! Thanks again
    Josh

Thread Information