Thread: Crumco Chassis

RAB

Default Crumco Chassis

Thought I'd start a new thread about Crumco Chassis instead of hijacking the trailing arm thread
    There is a lot of interest in these chassis and not a lot of info or pics available. Apparently at least one board member here has this chassis and another member works at Crumco. So guys how about some pics and some info
    RB

Do a search at race-dezert Plenty of info on that site alone.

Here we go, this one is mine.

877017090_xzfjn-l.jpgimg_0164a.jpg29138_1224045176162_1679981901_443426_5565103_n.jpg 010.jpg

wut kinda info do u want to know?? i cant give out any dimensions on anything incase someone on here is a fabricator. protection for crumco. i will try to answer any questions the best i can and as soon as i can.
    me

RAB

I have been thinking lately of ordering a CRUMCO chassis and mostly am looking for feedback from guys that have used them.
    RB

ok. heres another crumco car. El Centro Police Showcase Vehicle | El Centro | Imperial Valley Press. i really dont think you will get any good feed back from anyone on here unless they themselfs have a crumco chassis, thats just how people are. give crumco a call or come down and put a deposit down and we'll take you for a ride.
    me

Her name is Dielila vvvv WannaB-Class5's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by THORrider05 View Post
    i really dont think you will get any good feed back from anyone on here unless they themselfs have a crumco chassis, thats just how people are.
    I don't agree with this at all. I have kept my keyboard out of reach on this topic for a long time but here is what I think. First of all, you can walk by a car/chassis/whatever and get that warm and fuzzy feeling. After a decade in the off-road world, I can quickly see quality and good design and know a few things about a car without driving it. Now ask some of the racers with 30 years of seat time...you get the picture. Sure no one is ever right 100% of the time but that's not my point.

Also, I have talked to one of Rick's neighbors extensively about his cars. If what the neighbor says about some of the suspension design and more importantly about his un-sprung weight theories, I am not a fan of these cars. Part of my issue is they are being promoted as an affordable 5-open car, when all they are is a toy baja bug with cost cutting parts that CAN finish races but should never be considered 5-open quality. It rubs people the wrong way and that is why so many have issues with many of the claims they are hearing.

Example: My car will have 4" longer dual shock front arms, 15" travel, and 3x5 microstub dual shock 18" travel rear (when its done next month). Is it a 5-open? OMG no!!!!!!!! My car is a beater toy I like to race for fun. Crumco cars look fun, and will be fun I am sure. But they are not going to be what the very interesting "Crummies" (as I like to call them) say they will.

In the end, the car looks solid for what it is. I hope all the owners enjoy them. It just rubs me the wrong way that they are being promoted as 5-open race cars. All the little things that make it cheaper, make it a little bit weaker, and those things need to be discussed honestly.
    Quote Originally Posted by only1mikey View Post
    Just like everything offroad, it's going to break/fail, it's just a matter how and when.

I agree with you Pahl about the 5-open issue.. I do think they make some bad ass play/prerunner cars or even good 1300 cars though. I havnt got to drive one (yet) so my input really doesnt mean to much. I mean nothing against those who have a crumco 5! just my .02
    Last edited by mattd; 07-15-2010 at 11:20 AM.

i will be at the Freedom 250 this weekend with my Crumco car. Im racing it in 5-open, because thats what it is. RAB you mentioned your interest in buying one, come check out mine this weekend in person. The offer stands for anyone who would like to check it out. Im easy talk to too and open, Just dont be rude when your looking at my car in my pit is all I ask.

RAB

CheatnDeath- Thanks for the offer, it is a long trip from Utah and I have to work this weekend but I'd definately love to check it out.

Pahl- I totally agree with you. My interest in this Chassis is not as a 5 open but more as a 1300 and pre-runner type vehicle as mattd stated. For that I think it would be excellent. I also think that it could be a cool spec type class but as an honest to god 5 open no.
    RB

I looked at CheatnDeaths Chassis at the 500. Looks good for sure!
    Just like everything offroad, it's going to break/fail, it's just a matter how and when.

Quote Originally Posted by CheatnDeath View Post
    i will be at the Freedom 250 this weekend with my Crumco car. Im racing it in 5-open, because thats what it is. RAB you mentioned your interest in buying one, come check out mine this weekend in person. The offer stands for anyone who would like to check it out. Im easy talk to too and open, Just dont be rude when your looking at my car in my pit is all I ask.
    Hey what number are you running? 503 again? I would love to come check out your car.
    If you see this sign stop by and say hey!

Yea. I'll be running the same number.

how long is the wait for a car right now ?

What makes it not a 5 open car? is it because it doesnt have a huge type 4 motor or a albins or fortin trans?
    Zack Smith

Uno mas Cervesa! partybarge_pilot's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zackpunx View Post
    What makes it not a 5 open car? is it because it doesnt have a huge type 4 motor or a albins or fortin trans?
    Pretty much, if you want to win in Baja thats about what you need. We raced 5 open for years with a Jimco chassis, Fortin outboard hubs and trans and a 3L T4. This car was running in the top 20 at the Baja 2K before the rental driver decided to screw the program. The Crumco cars might be competitive in Barstow with no real competition, but against what we used to run down South, it wouldn't stand a chance in hell.
    Redneck in training.

Quote Originally Posted by partybarge_pilot View Post
    Pretty much, if you want to win in Baja thats about what you need. We raced 5 open for years with a Jimco chassis, Fortin outboard hubs and trans and a 3L T4. This car was running in the top 20 at the Baja 2K before the rental driver decided to screw the program. The Crumco cars might be competitive in Barstow with no real competition, but against what we used to run down South, it wouldn't stand a chance in hell.
    even with putting a fortin or mendi in a crumco and your saying it still wont be competitive?? just because alot of people run a stock bus box and a smaller motor doesnt mean they arent competitive.
    me

Uno mas Cervesa! partybarge_pilot's Avatar

Oh, it will be fast with a bus box, right up until it grenades....... Of course with the little motors there running now, it might take a little longer.

If you have a 250HP FAT motor in there it's going to go pretty quick.

If you want to be fast for extended periods of time, it takes a lot more $$$$$$$$ in parts.
    Last edited by partybarge_pilot; 07-18-2010 at 06:00 PM.
    Redneck in training.

Quote Originally Posted by CheatnDeath View Post
    How did the race go?

It went really well, alot of fun! Started second, caught up to first through the rough stuff in the first 5 miles, then mile 6 came and it really opened up, 5090 got on the gas and disappeared, a few miles later, 5090 had a flat, putting me in first for a few miles. Then Scott Wagstaff blew by me; he’s really fast; and Michelle Bruckmann passed me up too. Then I hit a BFR in this wash/canyon area. Stalled the car, Crumco past me up there. Got the car going again. Past Crumco up (he was having engine problems). Held third till around rm28 when I ignored a caution sign and took a hard hit, that broke my distributer cap, and stalled the car once again. It took use about 15mins before we got back on our way, Thanks to a few spectators and help from the Checkers. Sometime during those few mins Crumco and Larry Antuna passed us. Battled for fourth the rest of the night. Lap two went flawless. Then ran into alot of electrical problems, Lights on lap 3, and starter lap 3, battery ground came loose lap 4, amber light lap five, and alternator lap 6. The electrical issues cost me about 2 hours of down time. Crumco lost their engine on lap 3. Michelle Bruckmann took first, Scott Wagstaff second, Larry Antuna third, 515 fourth, I took 5th; Crumco 6th, and 5090 took 7th. It was a great week, got to talk with Bruckmann, and Wagstaff, both really cool people. Didn’t get a chance to talk to Antuna, and 515 drove a smart race. Great Weekend.

As far as my car....it finished all required laps. Stock bus box had no issues, and the 1835 held up great. Suspension worked amazingly!

csc_0643.jpg
    4m.jpg

Thread Information