FUK

Default Buying a dirt bike with no title or sticker??

i'm in the market for a second dirt bike for the g/f, and ive ran across some on craigslist with no title or green/red sticker. i always think its stolen but one guy told me he brought the bike from vegas where they dont require stickers and such and over time lost the title. sounds really BS but is there anyway to register it?? or verify if its stolen? or simply spend the extra 200 bucks and buy a stickered bike.

lmk.
    FAKE CHOW!!

BMH

Ask for a bill of sale?i bought a dirtbike with not title and no bill of sale but i dont plan on registering it,and trusted the guy(Hbdezertrunner)
    by Forget Regrets

The guy chasing me said something to the people in the car and I guess someone got out an kicked me in the face and fled.

FUK

so if i get an offical bill of sale, like the ones i can print off the dmv website it should be legit?
    FAKE CHOW!!

BMH

Well i know you can register a bike with the bill of sale.imma go check. BRB
    by Forget Regrets

The guy chasing me said something to the people in the car and I guess someone got out an kicked me in the face and fled.

i honestly dont see the big deal in green or red stickers anymore, outta the 1000+ times ive been riding ive never got hasseld by any cops in the dezert but i mostly ride tracks so i dont have much room to talk. you def dont need 1 at the there but i dont think youre gf will be riding tracks ? all of my recent bikes have been from factory riders so i dont have any kind of title bc they bought them over seas but if your worried get a bill of sale from dmv forsure

Quote Originally Posted by FUK View Post
    i'm in the market for a second dirt bike for the g/f, and ive ran across some on craigslist with no title or green/red sticker. i always think its stolen but one guy told me he brought the bike from vegas where they dont require stickers and such and over time lost the title. sounds really BS but is there anyway to register it?? or verify if its stolen? or simply spend the extra 200 bucks and buy a stickered bike.

lmk.
    make sure it has an MCO which is a Manufactures Certificate of Origin. I never register my bikes and never get hassled for it.
    Robbie Thompson

FUK

Quote Originally Posted by BMH View Post
    Well i know you can register a bike with the bill of sale.imma go check. BRB
    where do you check? i looked at the dmv website but i couldnt find anything.

lmk
    FAKE CHOW!!

If you are the legal owner of a bike, getting a duplicate title is very easy. I wouldnt buy anything without a title myself.

A sticker is one thing, that's like registration, it can lapse.

$200 is well worth the paperwork.

FUK

Quote Originally Posted by RThompson View Post
    make sure it has an MCO which is a Manufactures Certificate of Origin. I never register my bikes and never get hassled for it.
    where would i find that info?
    FAKE CHOW!!

where would i find that info?
    the owner should have it. its a piece of paper that comes from the manufacture. it should be passed on from owner to owner if the bike isnt registered. if he has it, its pretty much legit
    Robbie Thompson

BMH

where do you check? i looked at the dmv website but i couldnt find anything.

lmk
    i looked aswell,but no luck prolly gotta go to the OHV website.
    by Forget Regrets

Flat out, don't buy anything without a title. It's not worth the money you save.

Do you want to be out riding and have any worries in the back of your head?

Quote Originally Posted by Travisfab View Post
    If you are the legal owner of a bike, getting a duplicate title is very easy. I wouldnt buy anything without a title myself.

A sticker is one thing, that's like registration, it can lapse.

$200 is well worth the paperwork.
    bikes dont really have a title unless they are registered or have been regisitered at one time in cali.

the paper your going to be looking for is a MCO which is a Manufactures Certificate of Origin. it will only have this if the bike is from out of state or not registered at all. if its been registered in cali than it will have a title issued from the state.
    Robbie Thompson

Every bike I have ever owned has came with a pink slip, ie title.

Every bike I have ever owned has came with a pink slip, ie title.
    you buy them in california? and they probaly came registered to you to if you bought them in cali.

when you register a bike they take that MCO and give you that pink slip or title.
    Robbie Thompson

Yeah every bike I have owned has been in CA. They signed over a pink slip just like a car.

Yeah every bike I have owned has been in CA. They signed over a pink slip just like a car.
    yaa thats why.

when you get a bike out of state you get that MCO.

dmv takes that MCO and gives you a title and sticker when you register the bike.

when buying a bike in cali and its not registered and they say its from out of state it should have the MCO, if it doesnt than the bike is probaly sketchy.
    Robbie Thompson

FUK

so basically if there is no paper work, then dont buy it.
    FAKE CHOW!!

so basically if there is no paper work, then dont buy it.
    get the VIN & try calling around to the CHP & the DMV to see if it's stolen. If not, you can get a new pink without too much headache. I've had dmv people tell me they need the vehicle there, though, in order to run a VIN check...so your best bet might be to get the VIN & ask around for a cop on websites like this.
    "I know not what weapons world war three will be fought with, but world war four will be fought with sticks and stones"
    A. Einstein

BMH

are u gonna ride in places where they check the sticker or not?my bike is registered and never NEVER have i been asked about teh sticker.i also bought a 125 with no papers and no problems.
    by Forget Regrets

I'm dealing with this for a Ranger right now, nothing I've read insinuated it would be different for an OHV.

First, get someone to run the VIN for you, police officer/friend at DMV/ etc. if it comes up stolen or with a lien, you know that's the end.

If it seems legit, or their are no records, then go to the DMV and get a Bill of Sale, Statement of facts, and an application for title or registration.

If it's possible, get the seller to fill the stuff out so you can turn it in before you hand over cash, otherwise make sure you have valid unfo to track down the seller should things go awry.

Obviously I don't work at the DMV, but that is how the DMV rep at AAA told me to handle my Ranger without a title.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -Aristotle
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

Thread Information