Thread: Flux core wire?

I recently just switched from welding with mig mix and solid wire, too using flux core wire. It seems like it dosent weld very good at all but once you wire brush it off it seems to turn out pretty good. Also i was told that it penetrates more than running gas.What is your opinions on it? Should I keep running it or go out and buy some gas?
    CAB FAB

its usually not the best in the looks department, but i've also heard that it burn hotter than solid wire sheilded with gas. there is usually more spatter, but if you grind or sand it off and then paint it, it will be fine. Its also good for welding outside if its windy. you might as well fill your tank too, just so you can have a nice spatter free weld if you need to.

also, what size welder is it?

Mega Member

flux core does burn hotter...does splatter more, and had more ease when it comes to mobility...ie-from location to location....

a lot of things commercial and industrial are flux welded...it is definatly strong and will work, but it just spits everywhere....i would just run shielding gas and solid wire...if you still have a problem run co2 in the tank instead of a mix...it will burn hotter than a mix, but does splatter more...from my experience the splatter isnt as bad as flux core...
    \"Cause he's a no good having, cock blocking ass bitch!!!\"

Dirty Hookers 4 Life!!!!

Pain is one of the best teaching tools!!!!

Mega Member

for different conditions you can also runa dual shield...lol....no1 on here will probably ever need it, but it uses flux core with an external shielding gas....

Dirty Hookers 4 Life!!!!

Racer

burning hotter isnt always better! there is a good window of heat for ideal penetration of the material. ive also noticed that in my experience, flux cored welds seem to have more impurities in them, creating a brittle and weaker weld. structural specs demand different kinds of strength and performance, there is a VERY GOOD REASON why all fab shops use a regular gas-shield welding system. we do however, keep flux cored wire for the desert, great for on-site repairs as its much more compact, cheaper, and ideal for out-door windy conditions.

why not just forget about mig altogather and get a tig welder =) lol
    "no you see, this one goes to ELEVEN"

flux core welds are usually stronger than the solid wire with shielding gas. But they are brittle. Most welds will flex a little before they break while flux core will just break not give any.

that also depends on the type of material(type of steel) the wire is made out of. there is several different types with different strengths, characteristics, etc.

i think the flux core buring hotter is only an issue with smaller welders such as 135 and below, where the max is needed to fully penetrate thicker material.

Yeah this is running in a little hobart. I just bought the flux core because ive been wanting to try it and i ran out of gas on a sunday so i couldnt get it filled. But with the flux core in a hobart 120 i can burn right though 3/16" and .120 wall no problem, well it usually can running gas too.
    CAB FAB

Mega Member

ideally with the smaller welders it is better to run solid wire and use co2 as the shielding gas instead of using flux cored wire....same/similar affect.....better, cleaner weld......

like mike said really the only advantage of flux core is its portability....

Dirty Hookers 4 Life!!!!

Question

All I have run so far is flux with Lincons "Handy MIG" I love the penitration and it does an amazing job of heating up the metal I'm working on. The splater is very noticeable, but I bought an "anti-splater" spray that is made by lincon (found it at Home Dept.) and it cuts the splater in half.

It seems the hotter and higher voltage I go, the better it works. I would suggest trying it if you are worried about splater, what it doesn't get, a simple grind & sand will.

As far as the slag, that comes right off witha few stokes of the wire brush and flux can make for quite a nice, finished weld if you spend the time cleaning it after.
    ME ------>\"Woh, what the hell did I just hit?\"
    Spotter ->\"......a boulder\"

RIP 2000 Ranger.......hoping you are having fun Mikey

Thread Information