Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Lincoln Precision Tig 225

7 21.21%
  • Miller Syncrowave 200

24 72.73%
  • Thermal Arc ArcMaster 185

2 6.06%

Default Opinions Wanted: Lincoln Precision Tig 225 vs. Miller Synchrowave 200

I am looking to purchase a tig welder and have narrowed it down to the Lincoln Precision Tig 225 and the Miller Synchrowave 200. Now, I cant decide between Red or Blue.

The cost for theses two welders is exactly the same.
    I plan on welding aluminum (expansion tanks, radiators..) and 4130 Tube.
    I have done a good bit of research and so far the consensus is:

* Lincoln =
    Better build quality
    Lower Power consumption
    Not as good customer service
    Wider range

* Miller =
    More features.. ie displays
    Better aux plug locations
    Better customer service
    Draws more power

I was hoping someone on here has used one or the other (or hopefully both) and can help me decide on which one to purchase. Currently, I am leaning a little towards the Lincoln, because of its lower power consumption. I have a 50amp 220V feed in the garage.

Thanks for any help.
    F.a.b. I'd rather buy truck parts.

First!

Should've posted a poll to go along with this thread.. But I say Miller
    AXISoffroad
    1s1k motorsports

Default One more option Thermal Arc 185

One more option that I have been reading about is the Thermal Arc Arc Master 185. It is an inverter based Tig welder. From what I've read looks like a hell of a deal compared to Miller or Lincolns inverters. I own a thermal dynamics plasma cutter and have been happy with it, but I have not had any experience with their welders.

Has anyone dealt with one of these?

My local Keen Gas welding supply place has all three of the welders I am interested in, and all for about the same price.
    It looks like I need to make a choice between Red, Blue and Maroon.

I know they have a Arc Master 200 but its a little out of my price range.

Her is a link to their site: https://www.mythermadyne.com/thc/en/...bName=OverView

Thanks for any input.

Every single shop i have ever worked in ran all Miller..says something..

miller over lincoln for mig and tig.
    project GMobbinC
    estimated completion-2015

tube bumper How-To

more travel than good sam gg's ranger's Avatar

i have not used the lincoln but i do have a syncrowave and i love it. it comes with a lead for arc, some sample tungsten and a verry large manuel. the syncrowave also has a lug on the top to pick it up with a crane, cherrypicker or whatever. i put it in my truck for mobile jobs with a chainhoist. it has a verry user friendly feal to it and hasent gave me any probs. plus i think the blue looks better too.
    I got so mutch travel i need a good sam sticker.

I had a lincoln 225 for a week, returned it and bought a miller 200. for a few hundred more dont forget to look at the dynasty tig from miller, it will run on 110v and 220v and draws significantly less power on either tap. Your going to want a water cooler if you are doing aluminum so take a look at arc-zone.com they have a kit for 600 bucks that goes onto a miller and your hands will thanks you later. I can weld .125 sheet chromoly for hours without the torch getting hot now. I used to melt torch heads when i did aluminum witht he air cooled torch.

Miller all the way and buy it at a store that is also a authorized mille repair shop.
    I was against Obama before it was cool!!
    Jesus was a ford man, thats why he walked everywhere...
    Affliction Clothing
    Sinful Clothing

Unless you need the extra 15/35 amps, get the Thermal Arc, more expensive initially but mine has paid for itself a few times over in power savings, and there isn't much you can do with 225 amps that you can't do with 185, if you need the extra juice you need to step up to a 250/275 level welder. The TA also seems to have an endless duty cycle at full-kill, I've run mine hard doing aluminum at 185 amps to the point that the rubber torch insulation started to smoke and the fans only got into high mode for a few seconds. A water cooler is a nice addition, and you should be able to justify the cost after the first few electric bills. The only issue I've had with my TA185 is that I can't seem to find a cart layout that I like, even building it myself I'm not really happy with how it fits on, the Miller and Lincoln running gear is pretty nice, but they don't leave any room to store grinders and clamps on the welding cart.

Alright, it looks like mostly a Miller room in here. My main concern with the Miller is the current draw. I only have a 50 Amp feed running to the garage. Has anyone had problems with tripping breakers?
    I do like the fact that they are made in the USA.

To Outtacontrazy: Why did you return the lincoln?
    Also, I loved to get a dynasty, but I cant swing the extra $1k for it. Also, I've checked Craigslist, but I am on the east coast right now and the fabbing scene is nothing compared to the west coast. I've seen a bunch of redneck stick welders though.

The funny thing is, on the east coast everybody seems to be pro Lincoln. The sales guy at Keen said that even though they stock millers, he really likes the PT 225.
    He also said there is barely any mark up on both units, and they only make money on accs. Not sure how true that is.

To Maxyedor:
    On a welding forum, everyone really likes the TA 185.
    Roughly, how much of a energy savings are we talking about?
    Have you had the unit for awhile? Reliability issues are what I am concerned about with the inverters.

All that being said, I trust your opinions alot more then any salesmen. If I can run the miller on my limited amperage, It will be down to choice between Blue and Maroon.

Also, If anyone has pictures of welds done by anyone of these machines, I'd like to see them.

Quote Originally Posted by pipedreams View Post
    To Maxyedor:
    On a welding forum, everyone really likes the TA 185.
    Roughly, how much of a energy savings are we talking about?
    Have you had the unit for awhile? Reliability issues are what I am concerned about with the inverters.
    It uses around 40-50% less electricity, never thrown an ampmeter on the input to figure out exactly how much amp draw it has at full power, I do know that it's never tripped the 30 amp breaker at the front of my garage, I have a friend who has a Syncrowave 200 at his shop and it blew the 50 amp breaker constantly while burning Al. at full power, he had a 60 amp breaker installed and it seemed fine, he sold it and bought a big 3-Phase Lincoln before he had a chance to really use the 60 amp breaker too much. The TA185 does draw less current than my SP175 mig.

I've used mine a lot, but not to the point where I'd expect any issues, though I've heard nothing but good stuff about them, and I know there's guys with way more time on there's than I do with zero issues. Only issue I've had is that UPS destroyed the first one during shipment and Indiana Oxygen was less than helpful in getting me a new unit. The customer service at Thermal Arc got me squared away and overnighted a new welder to me then took care of the insurance/exchange BS with IOC.

Here's a shot of one of my welds, doubt it really tells you much, you need to find opinions and welds from guys who have used all three for a little bit of time. It's like Ford vs. Chevy, ask a Miller guy about a Lincoln and no matter how good it is they'll say t sucks.
    MG]

Just a hobby!!! rrp fabrication's Avatar

My recommendation is the Miller Dynasty 200 Series, hands down, its a little more but the best TIG welder I have used to date!
    http://www.desertclass14.com/
    RRP Fab
    CLEAN-DEZERT.ORG

I've used both Millers and Lincons at school, so I think they're booth great machines. However I've heard that Miller has better customer service than Lincon

Also, Millers are blue!

I have th eSyncrowave 200 here at home and I love it. Have used it twice, both on aluminum and it's wonderful. I get to start fixing our fence soon. That'll be fun
    Quote Originally Posted by Travisfab View Post
    You drive a Toyota, no need for a warranty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Special Ed View Post
    WD is not flammable!!!
    ARMistice Photography

I run a 50 amp breaker and 6 guage wiring on my plug and extension cord no problem.

I returned the precision tig because I bought a demo model that Lincoln used at the SEMA show in '06 and It kept producing sponge welds when I welded in AC HF on aluminum I wanted to enxhange it but they said i would have to pay more so i returned it went down the street to a miller dealer and bought the miller. I tried everything to correct it but read online a few others had the same problem

I paid 1600.00 for my sync 200 out the door. with running gear and accessory package. I paid 590.00 for my water cooler.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails picture-370.jpg   img_1088.jpg  
    I was against Obama before it was cool!!
    Jesus was a ford man, thats why he walked everywhere...
    Affliction Clothing
    Sinful Clothing

First of all they are great machines and all 3 will work fine. However, I am surprized that everyone is so pro-miller. I have had a Lincoln TIG-355 since 1993. It still works like new and has never needed a single repair. Longtime miller users who try it are shocked at how much smoother its arc is, how much better the start circuit works, and how much more precise the current control is. You can set the power to 400 amps, and still control an arc down to a 5 amp fuzzball. I havent tried the midrange welders personally, but for 350+ machines, I would rather have my 15 year old lincoln than a new miller.

Outta, we have a miller tig at Cutting Edge mfg that was making bad welds on aluminum. After several tries to get it fixed, it turned out to be the torch somehow.
    Last edited by scottm; 07-06-2008 at 11:10 AM.
    Whiplash and ASCC Class 8 Chevy 372sbc/th400/14bff
    Cutting Edge Mfg - cemaz.com

Just a hobby!!! rrp fabrication's Avatar

Both the Miller and Lincoln products are very good, I have used both company's products for many years. In my opinion and from what I have seen Miller has great products and are more technically advanced.
    http://www.desertclass14.com/
    RRP Fab
    CLEAN-DEZERT.ORG

Just wanted to thank everyone for their input.

I ended up purchasing the Thermal Arc AM 185.

The deciding factor ended up being size and aluminum welding options.

I definitely plan on moving off the east coast in the next couple of years.
    I would rather not lug around a 200lb. piece of equipment across the country.

Thread Information