Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
5Likes

Thread: How strong are the D44 or D50 TTB's?

Default How strong are the D44 or D50 TTB's?

I was just curious on a couple questions. I have heard that D44 is virtually the same as the D50 beams except some little change, can anyone confirm this? I know nothing about 4x at all so I am trying to learn here. The reason I ask is because I might be picking up an older f-250 and if I could just swap out the D50 TTB's for a set of D44 TTB's that are already trussed, turned, and widened it would make my life a lot easier.

With out spending a massive amount of money, would you say they can handle 600lbs of torque?

Also would you say they ends can be strong enough to support 37's and a crew cab f-250 style truck to be launched in the air some? Not something to jump the canal with, but to get some air here and there, and mash down barstow main.

Also if anyone has any links where I can read up on this, I would greatly appreciate it

Thanks guys,
    -Mikey
    - Mini Mike
    Hopes and Dreams Racing
    "The last 10% of the job is 90% of the work" - My pops

The only thing Ive heard about the D50's is that one beam(cant remember if its driver or passenger side) is drastically shorter than the other. Obviously the D44's are different lengths as well, but are close enough to allow for good travel #'s.

Anywho, point is, if you wanted to mount D44's up to D50 stock mounts, you would have to do alot of hacking on either the beams or mounts to make them work. It would probably be less work to do a crossmember swap that already had D44 mounts, then build new motor mounts if needed. Then you could go ahead and plate/gusset shit that would probably need it anyways....because who wants build a truck with the intention of just "crusing".

Easiest option would prob be extending the stock shit, limit the longer beam to whatever the short one is capable of, and call it a day. But it all depends on what kinda time/money you have on your hands.

O btw, since you mentioned 600 lbs of torque, im assuming your thinking of getting a diesel model. A shit ton of people on here told me I couldnt do a d44 swap on my 03 diesel, but Geoff at GiantMS thought it would work and even said he would do the swap. I would say call the beam master himself and get all this info because he would know best.

Theres got to be some trucks running d44's with over 600lbs of torque, old race trucks?
    Last edited by mconcha; 05-02-2010 at 01:24 PM.

I don't think the axle u-joints in a 44 will be able to handle 600lb/ft of torque especially with 37's if you plan on doing any serious wheeling. If you only plan on using low range when you get stuck I think they'll live.

If the 4x4 is used rarely and with caution it seems like you could make them last.

d44s are pretty tough, at least in my truck. nothing has happened to it and its a 93, and they use to put them on lots of different vehicles back in the day. but idk anything about the conversion you want to do. good luck on the search though.
    ...NOW YOU'RE MESSING WITH A SON OF A BITCH...
    71 Jeep Wagoneer Project
    http://dezertrangers.com/vb/showthread.php?t=113683

ive also got a truck with a dana 50 ttb 4x4 leaf spring truck im gonna start building soon. dont know what i plan on doing yet.

04yfzkid, didnt you have pics of a mcneil built f250 crew cab short bed, white in color? If I remember right it was a total sleeper, ttb's on coilovers, linked with the bed, even had the stock wheels and tires on it. I wonder what they did for the front end..

OTA Machine Gunner I Love Tacos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 View Post
    I don't think the axle u-joints in a 44 will be able to handle 600lb/ft of torque especially with 37's if you plan on doing any serious wheeling. If you only plan on using low range when you get stuck I think they'll live.
    It really depends on how you drive, but you can make anything hold up within reason.

My friend has 40" boggers on his blazer. 350/465/205 drivetrain and he's been able to keep the d44 alive.

but with 600 ft lbs of torque 37s or bigger and low range, in an f250 if you get traction you can blow up a dana 44 like confetti lol
    Nope

Wouldn't the confetti senerio most likely only apply if you are using ALL 600lbs ft torque at once or consistantly, in a place (assuming off road) that has a surface with enough grip for your 37's to hook up to the point of no return? And wouldnt the tire's width be a greater disadvantage than the overall height, because the more surface area in contact with the ground = more traction= d44 confetti? The entire issue of "strength" might just come down to the ground's surface in relation to how much traction your tire is capable of, the amount of hp/tq applied (not to be confused with total hp/tq numbers), and the rate at which the amount is applied.

Personally I think using the D44 would be fine in desert use if handled with caution and only engaged when absolutely needed. Rock crawling, well, probably wouldnt be a good idea.

A dana 44 can get a lot stronger with custom axles with big u joints.It would also be able to handle much more power with the wheels pointed straight ahead vs. when turning as well.
    Originally Posted by SF@DERTCO
    No matter how much shit you put on it .. Its still a dodge.

Quote Originally Posted by I Love Tacos View Post
    It really depends on how you drive, but you can make anything hold up within reason.

My friend has 40" boggers on his blazer. 350/465/205 drivetrain and he's been able to keep the d44 alive.

but with 600 ft lbs of torque 37s or bigger and low range, in an f250 if you get traction you can blow up a dana 44 like confetti lol
    About a year ago I broke the original drivers side U-joint in my brothers '78 Jimmy so they can last. This was with a tired out 350 with the stock 3.73 gears on 35's and I was just climbing a dirt hill. I wasn't even on it. Not that with 300,000 miles it had any power anyways but it finally let go after 30 years of abuse. We recently dropped a 425hp/450tq 383 in it and the U-joints are doing fine behind it but we wheel it easy. If we were to wheel it like we do his FJ40 I don't think they'll last as long as the originals did.
    Last edited by 94cobra69ss396; 05-03-2010 at 03:06 PM.

Mocha that other truck isn't 4x. Going to try to find the photo's in a minute. I will have to call geoff when I pick up a truck and get more serious with cash. I know he is going to tell me I am stupid trying to build such a heavy truck, but I just might be .

Edit: found them

Quote Originally Posted by lstrong View Post
    A dana 44 can get a lot stronger with custom axles with big u joints.It would also be able to handle much more power with the wheels pointed straight ahead vs. when turning as well.
    Really that is good to hear. I was planning on doing some built to the hill axles and what ever else is needed. I am planning on making it one hell of a truck I don't have to worry about but I am not going to abuse hard. 4x will be used a lot during the winter, and maybe once a year in the desert at glamis if that. I don't plan to do any serious wheeling in it, but I don't want to be limited to desert only you know? Maybe the money is better spent in the 50, I just figured I would have more options with people knowing how to build strong 44 housings and such. I just want maybe 5"s wider a side, still working 4x, coilover and bypass, and hopefully around 17" of travel with the heater and all the jazz still hooked up.

Yes I do plan on building a diesel so maybe even more then 600ft/lbs of torque. The plan is just chip, exhaust, intake, intercooler, turbo, and maybe other little things.
    Last edited by 04yfzkid; 05-03-2010 at 04:34 PM.
    - Mini Mike
    Hopes and Dreams Racing

I ve got alot of f250 stuff for sale 2wd stuff and 4x4 stuff two comaplte rear ends. Couple of rims bunch of stuff for sale

Damn, maybe you would be better off doin a d60 swap with a good set of lt springs and 3in shocks, cause those D44 ttb axels would probably get shredded to pieces real quick with the kind of power you plan on making. Or build a link system like the straight axel dodges run.

The beams for the D44HD (leafspring) and the D50 (leafspring) are nearly identical in length and shape. The D50 is more common. The pivots however are no where close to the D44 TTB (coil spring) The D50 could be extended near the pivots to match the D44 (coil spring) pivots.

The other option is you can take the D50 center chunk and bolt it to the D44 (Coil spring) beams. The spline count on the D50 spiders are the same as the D44's.

Unfortunatly you will be stuck using D44 axles. The D50 U-joints are similar to the D60 joints in size. The D50 knuckles and mating C are bigger than the D44 to allow for the larger D50 U-joint clearance needed.
    1987 BroncoIV. Runner in the works. '92 4.0L, A4LD, manual t-case. D44 TTB Long travel, 8.8 spooled rear axle with durango leaf springs, 5.13 gears. 35" ProComp muds.
    My Truck Build on DR

1992 Slammed Ford Ranger DD.

Mikey, I'll save Geoff some time and tell you your an idiot if you plan on selling the ranger for a F250 "prerunner". With that much power and the way you drive your going to destroy this truck and or kill yourself. Keep the ranger in storage, get a pile of crap car to take with you to N Dakota and save your money to get the ranger race ready when you return.

Mike
    RIP Jon Butler
    You will never be forgotten!

What can be done with the 2 wd f250 beam ends

Her name is Dielila vvvv WannaB-Class5's Avatar

Mikey you better not sell your Ranger...are you nuts? Oh what is the Air Force doing to you...so sad. HAHA
    Quote Originally Posted by only1mikey View Post
    Just like everything offroad, it's going to break/fail, it's just a matter how and when.

Quote Originally Posted by Copykat View Post
    The beams for the D44HD (leafspring) and the D50 (leafspring) are nearly identical in length and shape. The D50 is more common. The pivots however are no where close to the D44 TTB (coil spring) The D50 could be extended near the pivots to match the D44 (coil spring) pivots.

The other option is you can take the D50 center chunk and bolt it to the D44 (Coil spring) beams. The spline count on the D50 spiders are the same as the D44's.

Unfortunatly you will be stuck using D44 axles. The D50 U-joints are similar to the D60 joints in size. The D50 knuckles and mating C are bigger than the D44 to allow for the larger D50 U-joint clearance needed.
    Ok so since the pivots are no where near, it would be just easier to start from scratch on the D50 beams or D44HD, depending on what would come on the truck. That really cleared a lot of stuff up, thanks man! Do you think someone can build strong enough axles to handle that power since I am assuming that would probably be the weak link.

Mikey, I'll save Geoff some time and tell you your an idiot if you plan on selling the ranger for a F250 "prerunner". With that much power and the way you drive your going to destroy this truck and or kill yourself. Keep the ranger in storage, get a pile of crap car to take with you to N Dakota and save your money to get the ranger race ready when you return.

Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by WannaB-Class5 View Post
    Mikey you better not sell your Ranger...are you nuts? Oh what is the Air Force doing to you...so sad. HAHA
    I will probably only use the truck in desert maybe once or twice in 4 years if that. I don't want to launch the big jumps or rail at 80mph everywhere. I am finally getting a lot of that out of my system. I have destroyed too many trucks in way too short of a time frame. I make about $1200 a month, so there is no way I can pay my bills, storage, and have any fun while I am up there. I am buying a diesel no matter what and already have the cash for that. I don't know if you know the back story but lets just say I cannot have a car up there. Why not make a cool prerunner DD out of it that is all around a good truck that I can do anything in. My dad told me he would keep it at the house but he really doesn't want to at all. He sure made that very clear to me and actually wants me to get something like this going . Nothing is set in stone I am just doing my research first.
    - Mini Mike
    Hopes and Dreams Racing

Quote Originally Posted by 04yfzkid View Post
    I will probably only use the truck in desert maybe once or twice in 4 years if that. I don't want to launch the big jumps or rail at 80mph everywhere. I am finally getting a lot of that out of my system. I have destroyed too many trucks in way too short of a time frame. I make about $1200 a month, so there is no way I can pay my bills, storage, and have any fun while I am up there. I am buying a diesel no matter what and already have the cash for that. I don't know if you know the back story but lets just say I cannot have a car up there. Why not make a cool prerunner DD out of it that is all around a good truck that I can do anything in. My dad told me he would keep it at the house but he really doesn't want to at all. He sure made that very clear to me and actually wants me to get something like this going . Nothing is set in stone I am just doing my research first.
    You move way too fast, I can't keep up with all this shit!

I though you enlisted to better yourself, save cash for your truck, carrier opportunities, etc, what's the new plan now?

Is it really that hard to buckle down and save while your up there or are the temptations to be like your surrounding peers and "blow your load" on imports and big diesel truck too hard to ignore?

Do you really even need a car up there; wouldn't you be living on base?

I would think $1200 a month with little to no bills would be pretty legit, Can't you have your dad rent a storage garage near your house and park your truck there and have them send the bill to you in N Dakota or whatever?

Maybe I don't get it cause I'm not there, but this sudden change of plans seems odd and I'm only giving you shit because I care. Can't you mash on and huck a heavy ass diesel HUMVEE to get your fix while your there, oh wait that's the Army, wrong branch.

Mike
    RIP Jon Butler

You move way too fast, I can't keep up with all this shit!

I though you enlisted to better yourself, save cash for your truck, carrier opportunities, etc, what's the new plan now?

Is it really that hard to buckle down and save while your up there or are the temptations to be like your surrounding peers and "blow your load" on imports and big diesel truck too hard to ignore?

Do you really even need a car up there; wouldn't you be living on base?

I would think $1200 a month with little to no bills would be pretty legit, Can't you have your dad rent a storage garage near your house and park your truck there and have them send the bill to you in N Dakota or whatever?

Maybe I don't get it cause I'm not there, but this sudden change of plans seems odd and I'm only giving you shit because I care. Can't you mash on and huck a heavy ass diesel HUMVEE to get your fix while your there, oh wait that's the Army, wrong branch.

Mike
    Hahaha having someone talk sense into me is always good though. I joined for the school oppertunities, the job training, and because I wanted to do something I was proud of. With any luck I should be able to buy a house and go to school as soon as I get out. I probably wont buy a house just quite yet then though.

Yes a car is necessary. I am not walking around in -20 degrees. It does get down to about -50 degrees in the winter too. Saturday the high was 39 I believe . I will be there for 4 years, so eff not having something to drive. You know me I love to drive. I put 5k miles on that red ranger in a matter of 3 months I think.

Still have car insurance, cell bill, $100 a month for GI bill, internet, and who knows what else I have never lived on my own before. I could get storage around here for I believe $250 a month is the cheapest I remember seeing.

Life has just been turned upside down since I got here. I am making the same I was before I came in except now I am still netting the same as I was at home, well about to be less when I start paying for some bills I forgot when I lived at home . I would say I could mash on an airplane, but they give us tiny hammers so we don't beat the piss out of them if we get mad hahahaha.
    - Mini Mike
    Hopes and Dreams Racing

What's wrong with the red ranger? Why can't you take it up there?

Mike
    RIP Jon Butler

What's wrong with the red ranger? Why can't you take it up there?

Mike
    2wd, and we already have a deposit from the new owner on it. Besides that truck is way too tits to take the abuse of the cold and salty roads. Also my parents don't want me driving anything that small. Black ice is a summabitch when someone slides into on coming traffic, the biggest vehicle always wins . I can sit here and justify every reason in the book why this is smarter but I can also say it's dumb for all the same reasons lol.
    - Mini Mike
    Hopes and Dreams Racing

Mikey, my dad is running D44 axleshafts in a D60 rear housing in the sand jeep, and you know how much power that thing has...
    8/14/2010
    ==Only the ones like us that were there and lived the event will understand.==

Black ice is a summabitch when someone slides into on coming traffic, the biggest vehicle always wins .
    Black ice doesn't exist, IMHO. It's a lame excuse people use, that don't know how to drive fer shit, and are not paying attention to road conditions.
    1987 BroncoIV. Runner in the works. '92 4.0L, A4LD, manual t-case. D44 TTB Long travel, 8.8 spooled rear axle with durango leaf springs, 5.13 gears. 35" ProComp muds.
    My Truck Build on DR

1992 Slammed Ford Ranger DD.

Quote Originally Posted by Copykat View Post
    Black ice doesn't exist, IMHO. It's a lame excuse people use, that don't know how to drive fer shit, and are not paying attention to road conditions.
    Ture

i broke a D60 front shaft on my dads super duty....in the sand lmao

Quote Originally Posted by 84prerunner View Post
    i broke a D60 front shaft on my dads super duty....in the sand lmao
    I can always have someone build some heavily rated axles, correct? I am asking because I don't know, never dealt with 4x stuff or even rear end stuff very much.
    - Mini Mike
    Hopes and Dreams Racing

ya there are stronger axles. for example the D60 outer shaft that i broke was a 30spline, dana makes a 35spline version and other companies make 35spline cromo axles.

Leaning towards a superduty now and just sticking with a solid axle for reliability reasons.
    - Mini Mike
    Hopes and Dreams Racing

Bump back to a TTB set-up. With the chip I am going to buy it will have multiple settings so I can run a low setting when 4wd is engaged to save everything. I still want to build it strong. So a 35 spline upgrade, chromo shafts, and a built third.

Should I lean more towards air locker?

Also will I need to beef up the transfer case while I am doing all this?

Lastly what do you guys think about a rear end? I don't know what stock axles with upgrades will take this kind of power or abuse, and would rather not spend the money on a 40 spline Full Floater because I would to still have a limited slip.
    - Mini Mike
    Hopes and Dreams Racing

if you get the stock sterling 10.5" axle with the posi, it should last forever. those things are full floaters from the factory and stupid strong. i personally would not run a locker in the front, these truck will go almost anywhere they will fit with a good driver and a posi in the rear. a locker just puts more stress on the shafts, u joints, hubs and steering. i did the entire mojave road in my dads SD and never once got stuck or anywhere near (i know, not a hard trail). as for the transfer case, if you smart and dont try to do pavement burnouts or play tug-o-war in 4wd it will be fine.

No one has any more info . Time to hit up priate4x4
    - Mini Mike
    Hopes and Dreams Racing

mikey,

this sounds like it will be a unique build. i definately say you go through with it. id just cut/turn/extend the factory D50 so you can run an 8 lug setup still with the bigger brakes. id definately consider a cage though for safety reasons but also because these frames are really weak in the pre 97 trucks. you want your frame to be as solid as possible.

people say its a bad idea and your wasting your time. look at all the dodge diesels that handle awesome i dont see why a superduty couldnt do so either.

this truck probably wont be as fast as some super sick gnar linked ranger but life isnt about hauling ass everywhere though. i think you should definately do this build and keep everyone updated as it progresses.

Quote Originally Posted by cuz_im_CR View Post
    mikey,

this sounds like it will be a unique build. i definately say you go through with it. id just cut/turn/extend the factory D50 so you can run an 8 lug setup still with the bigger brakes. id definately consider a cage though for safety reasons but also because these frames are really weak in the pre 97 trucks. you want your frame to be as solid as possible.

people say its a bad idea and your wasting your time. look at all the dodge diesels that handle awesome i dont see why a superduty couldnt do so either.

this truck probably wont be as fast as some super sick gnar linked ranger but life isnt about hauling ass everywhere though. i think you should definately do this build and keep everyone updated as it progresses.
    Yeah from what I have gathered I am going to need a d60 hubs and possible spindles, 35 spline axles, 1480 u-joints, and then going to have to spread the beam pivots out more to clear the 1480 u-joint. There is a guy on Pirate 4x4 that did this and everything sounds super beefy.

Haha yeah I am debating between a cage, or links because the truck will be street driven for those 4 years. I bent the frame on my f-150 and that was only an extra cab short bed with a 351. This truck is going to be tons heavier and would hate to do that again to such a nice truck.

Exactly, I am not shooting for some crazy fast truck either. Well have good power for the street though . It will make a good prerunner to prerun races with and go a lot of places with working 4x4.
    - Mini Mike
    Hopes and Dreams Racing

basicly same thing im gonna do to my 94 std cab service truck, but will be more of a chase/trail/ and recovery vehicle with a solid axle. i vote cage over the link, that thing with it liek 200" wb will be smiling at you from the side in no time. i plan on building a tire rack/roofrack/exo-abortincage for mine, should be pretty hillbilly but that the only way ill fit in at truck haven and keep me from cuttin yet another one of my trucks to pieces.
    Mike Lara
    GIANT MOTORSPORTS

sort of related,use the 50 inner pivot axle on the 44.it has a larger outed c clip u joint and the inner splines are the same in the carrier and the axle end.they get about 5 degrees more travel.we've been doing it for years and if you use the earlier bolt on style it makes life easier since you dont have to remove the carrier to pull a c clip to change the joint or inspect it.

Anyone know anything about the sterling 10.25 rear ends? I would prefer to not have to spend all the money on a full floater rear end with the truck already having one. Can they hold up to that power daily driving and be strong enough when trussed in the dirt on such a heavy truck?
    - Mini Mike
    Hopes and Dreams Racing

Anyone know anything about the sterling 10.25 rear ends? I would prefer to not have to spend all the money on a full floater rear end with the truck already having one. Can they hold up to that power daily driving and be strong enough when trussed in the dirt on such a heavy truck?
    lots of good info here.
    mid engine ranger
    Originally Posted by SF@DERTCO
    No matter how much shit you put on it .. Its still a dodge.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information