Default chevy 350 heater hoses

ran into an issue today. the motor i put in this jeep is out of an 85 blazer. the heater set up on it has the hot water coming out of the intake manifold next to the thermostat, then returning to the tank on the radiator, not back to the motor. well, the aluminum radiator in the jeep does not have a port to return to. does anyone know if there is a spot to return to on the motor or if i can simply plug the heater hose outlet next to the thermostat? worried i might get air trapped or something since i have 0 experience with SBC motors.

ya just pug it
    they do it on boats all the time what manifold is on it if its a after market on and u want to run a heater just drill and tap but most after market manifolds have a couple pipe plugs in them
    Last edited by TRD SRP; 06-28-2011 at 02:16 AM.
    srp

Quote Originally Posted by TRD SRP View Post
    ya just pug it
    they do it on boats all the time what manifold is on it if its a after market on and u want to run a heater just drill and tap but most after market manifolds have a couple pipe plugs in them
    stock chevy manifold. keeping the heater would be nice if its easy, but plugging it also works.

Your water pump should have a fitting for the other heater hose.

yup when my heater was hooked up, the hoses were connected to the water pump and the manifold. im not sure if they can both go to the manifold, you might need one with a higher pressure than the other to circulate through the heater core.
    SGC RACING

Most SBC water pumps have the fitting above the pulley and above the lower radiator hose. Either will work on those.

If your water pump doesn't have it you could always spend $20.00 and get one with the fittings in there from an older model truck.

The water pump was plugged, so we put the fitting in and hooked up the heater hose. With the heater hoses hooked up as is, the heater hoses get really hot and the radiator doesn't, which makes us think it is just circulating hot water through the heater.

What's the temp on the gauge say? T-stat may be stuck and not opening up.

Also lots of vehicles have a heater control valve. Napa sells them with a simple lever you can hook up with a cable to let water go to heater core or not.

No temp gauge yet, still waiting for it to come in. With the heater hoses crimped shut, the radiator gets hot so the thermostat should be fine

does anyone see an issue with the routing in the pic alon posted above? ran it a little today and it seemed to work but it was only sitting and idling. electric fan was cycling on and off so im guessing it wasnt over heating lol

hopefully the guages show up tomorrow so i can actually watch the temp. on that note, does it matter where i put the sender for the gauge. there are a million temp senders (stock) on this motor. im thinking either in the manifold or t-stat housing, ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by 84prerunner View Post
    does anyone see an issue with the routing in the pic alon posted above? ran it a little today and it seemed to work but it was only sitting and idling. electric fan was cycling on and off so im guessing it wasnt over heating lol

hopefully the guages show up tomorrow so i can actually watch the temp. on that note, does it matter where i put the sender for the gauge. there are a million temp senders (stock) on this motor. im thinking either in the manifold or t-stat housing, ideas?
    The way it is routed in Alon's pic is perfect you will not have any issues with it like that.

Quote Originally Posted by 84prerunner View Post

That's how the heater hoses have been routed on any SBC I've had. It's the same way they are on my '99 Suburban as well.

I've always run my temp gauge in the head on my Chevelle but you can run it to the intake as well.

What type of electric fan are you running? You may have trouble keeping the engine cool with one. We tried running a Black Magic electric fan on my brother's FJ40 but it wouldn't keep the truck cool on the freeway. It would do fine in city driving but not at higher speeds under load. He went back to a mechanical fan and hasn't had an issue. I guess I should have mentioned that he has an '88 TBI SBC 350 from a K5 Blazer in it.

we are running a flex a lite black magic...lol thing seems to move a ton of air.
    i wanted to keep the mechanical fan but there was no room for it.

After he pulled it off his truck I tried it on my Explorer and had the same issue. I also tried a factory fan setup that I pulled from a Buick at the wrecking yard which worked better but still would get hot when climbing hills.

as long as you have a good shroud the electric fan should work fine.
    SGC RACING

Obviously you haven't tried it. The Black Magic fan comes with a shroud and it fit perfectly around the radiator in my Explorer. Also, a shroud is not important at highway speeds. The purpose of the shround is to allow the fan to pull air through the entire radiator. The Black Magic is only 16 inches where my stock fan was 18 and I believe that attributed to my Explorer getting hot. I think that the smaller shroud was limiting airflow through the radiator at higher speeds thus not cooling as well.

Im running an elecric fan and water pump on my 355 and rarely see temps above 180. Ill snap a picture of my fan when I get the chance
    SGC RACING

i run the temp sender off the head for the best reading and i sometimes run one in line when i run a variable speed fan in a crawler so i can know if i need to adjust if it's getting hot
    "opportunity is missed by most people because people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work"
    "We, the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have now done so much for so long with so little, we are now capable of doing anything with nothing."

Thread Information