Default rhino clutch problem

I did a search and after looking through 5 pages of what it could be I didn't find anything. sorry if I missed it.

ok so I borrowed a buddies rhino and the clutch went out. I haven't started tearing into it but I'm about to. I was driving it and the clutch got so hot is slung all the grease out and then it was stuck at a full speed range instead of going faster with speed/ rpm. I limped it almost all the way back and then the belt decided it wasn't happy about it, and decided to eject. when I borrow something I make sure it comes back in as good if not better than when I borrowed it.

ok my question. do I need to replace the clutch or is there a rebuild that I can do on this? if I have to replace the clutch, which one is best for the cost or should I go oem? the belt, should I go oem or aftermarket? any help would be much appreciated.

it is a 2006 or 2007 rhino 660 that is stock with bigger tires and wheels
    1491 GIANT MOTORSPORTS
    giantmotorsports.com

are there no rhino gods of DR?
    1491 GIANT MOTORSPORTS
    giantmotorsports.com

you are talking about the sheave right? the clutch is on the other side.
    Take off plastic cover on drivers side. 22mm nut to get sheave off with a impact. Sounds like you either melted the plastic sliders for weights in the sheave or some of the weights came out. If it was a machined aftermarket sheave the fins inside can break.

you should be able to just rebuild it w/ new sliders unless the fins broke.

what year is the rhino?

replace w/ stock oem belt only!! EPI suck as do all the rest.

pic of sheave w/ out weights and grease and no cover

pic of clutch. pass side of rhino
    Last edited by AZmxer; 01-07-2009 at 12:23 PM.

sounds like someone forgot to take the e brake off. Pretty common with the rhinos.

You should be able to rebuild it for lack of a better word provided you did not break anything inside the sheave. But the inner clutch, second picture could be damaged. As well as the shaft and outer sleeve for the inner clutch. I have had people do this and not check any of the internal clutch, and have constant problems down the road and could not figure out why.

If nothing was broke in the sheave, then you can just buy new weights and liners for the rollers and put new grease in it. Make sure to use the yamaha ultramatic grease, and only put between 2.5-3 oz of grease in it.

With the bigger wheels and tires i would recomend looking into one of the clutch kits from EPI. It will come with different roller weights and springs for the internal clutch, as well as a new spring for the primary clutch. Will help alot with the bigger tires. You can order these from rhinopartsandperformance.com.

If the sheave is damaged, the best sheave for your money in my opinion is the KMS sheave. I have installed about 50 of them without any issues, just make sure you put the washer in to space out the sheave when installing. You can also get that at RP&P. There is a core charge on the sheave though, so if it is damaged you will have to pay that as well. usually 125 bucks and the sheave machining is 75, so about 200 for the sheave.

If yo do go into the inner clutch, you WILL have to replace the gasket, it always gets destroyed when you take off the cover. I always jack the rhino up so it is leaning to the passenger side almost to point of tipping to get all the oil to the ride side of the motor, otherwise all the oil in the motor will dump out when you take off the inner clutch cover. Check it over well for signs of severe heat damaged, and check all the clutch plates for damage.

Sorry it is such a novel, if you have any other questions feel free to PM me.

and as far as the belts, i have never had any problems with the EPI belts, and in my experience they hold up better than the stock ones. Especially on the dry clutch conversions.

matthew

thank you for the help
    1491 GIANT MOTORSPORTS
    giantmotorsports.com

the machined sheave sometimes push the belt out to far and makes it shred belts because they dont machine all of them the same but oem on the belt for sure

Quote Originally Posted by AZmxer View Post
    pic of clutch. pass side of rhino
    That is the wet clutch not on the passenger side. That is on the driver side.
    www.Suspension-Tuning.com

Redlands,CA.
    *Psychotic Racing* STS Suspension Tuning Services by Tyler

Quote Originally Posted by tomynee88 View Post
    That is the wet clutch not on the passenger side. That is on the driver side.

yep. your right. It was 2 years ago that I slugged my wet clutch...kinda forgot. sorry for the bad info

Thread Information