Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
2Likes

Thread: sterling 10.5 axle Q's

Default sterling 10.5 axle Q's

came on 99 and newer superduties, anybody on here experts?
    i have some questions for mine and i have seen them used instead of high dollar 9" for desert runners so maybe it will help some other people

1. are they good axles for desert running? addressable weak points?
    2. should i get the rebuild for the stock L.S or get an aftermarket system like true track
    3. mine seems to have a lot of slop and has about a mm of side to side movement at the d shaft, im also getting a lot of vibration and sometimes clunking on hard acceleration i was blaming on my d shaft but now im thinking otherwise, when will i know its time to rebuild?
    Last edited by bajabugmobbin; 02-28-2011 at 11:02 PM.
    i'm gonna stop saying racist jokes cause racism is a crime and crime is for black people.

drawback for a desert truck: 8 lug, HEAVYYYY as fuck, diff hange kind of low allthough not as low as a 14bolt, not many gearing choices, cast center section.

Pros: full floater, strong, 35spline.

biggest issue is lack of gear ratios, and of course the weight. In reality, you can do a 9in for $1500, that's what I have spent on mine and it's ready to go in my truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -Sean
    '04 Ranger Edge. DERTCO built.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE NUMBERS!!

my rep. was 1 mill before jodaddy23's Avatar

GG likes them ,.... oh no zzzz
    https://www.facebook.com/#!/mcmotorsports.loopclub

Quote Originally Posted by roostthemoon View Post
    Dude...there real if you can touch them.
    Quote Originally Posted by GREGASAURUS REX View Post
    I don't think they work very well because I can't STOP winning races. haha

dont try to run a good amount of hp/tq in a heavy truck with a spool on the street, you'll snap an axle.

Garrett

Quote Originally Posted by SSpeeDEMONSS View Post
    dont try to run a good amount of hp/tq in a heavy truck with a spool on the street, you'll snap an axle.

Garrett
    sterling axles are one of the strongest stock axles out there. people run diesels making over 1000 lb ft of TQ and never have issues with breaking axles.

wanna see a picture of my broken one? 7000lb+ + 35" tires + 400hp/700tq + welded rear end + street drivin daily = broken axle.

Garrett

What do you expect with that setup though?

Quote Originally Posted by Travisfab View Post
    What do you expect with that setup though?
    nothing. though i learned that ill never run a spool/welded rear on the street EVER again.

Garrett

Quote Originally Posted by bajabugmobbin View Post
    came on 99 and newer superduties, anybody on here experts?
    i have some questions for mine and i have seen them used instead of high dollar 9" for desert runners so maybe it will help some other people

1. are they good axles for desert running? addressable weak points?
    2. should i get the rebuild for the stock L.S or get an aftermarket system like true track
    3. mine seems to have a lot of slop and has about a mm of side to side movement at the d shaft, im also getting a lot of vibration and sometimes clunking on hard acceleration i was blaming on my d shaft but now im thinking otherwise, when will i know its time to rebuild?
    This is for your diesel correct?

I have found very little info on them. No one preruns a diesel, so no one really puts down the abuse like these trucks see in the desert. I hear all the time of guys getting wheel hops on launches (even with 300whp trucks) and snaping the yoke off the front of diff. Heard of a couple people shreading spider gears also. Every powerstroke guy who has a tru-track seems to be very satisfied from it.

The only upgrade I know of was in one of the truck magazines I found searching on google. The only real upgrade for the 10.5 was putting in a 3 pinion spider gear or something like that. My terminology may be off, but we have a 2 pinion one in ours.
    - Mini Mike
    Hopes and Dreams Racing
    "The last 10% of the job is 90% of the work" - My pops

Quote Originally Posted by 04yfzkid View Post

I have found very little info on them. No one preruns a diesel, so no one really puts down the abuse like these trucks see in the desert. I hear all the time of guys getting wheel hops on launches (even with 300whp trucks) and snaping the yoke off the front of diff. Heard of a couple people shreading spider gears also. Every powerstroke guy who has a tru-track seems to be very satisfied from it.

The only upgrade I know of was in one of the truck magazines I found searching on google. The only real upgrade for the 10.5 was putting in a 3 pinion spider gear or something like that. My terminology may be off, but we have a 2 pinion one in ours.
    factory posi in ours worked bitchen. never does a 1tire burnout on dirt or pavement.

Quote Originally Posted by 84prerunner View Post
    factory posi in ours worked bitchen. never does a 1tire burnout on dirt or pavement.
    theyre said to work even better if you change the fluid and put in a little less friction modifier. that was the plan for my rearend but after we pulled the cover off someone we decided to weld it up.

Garrett

the axle weighs 333 lbs according to google, so its not as bad as i thought, i wonder what the weight of a built up trussed 9" thats comparable in strength
    i saw gears in them going up into the 5s so i dunnot if thats true or not, in either event it doesnt matter to me i have 700ftlbs of torque and a 6spd with a granny gear my 3.73s are plenty of gearing for that truck.
    i do really like the full floater aspect and the indestructable end bearings and seals.
    im doin all the bearings in the diff this weekend, just ordered the parts, even if this doesnt fix it, 180xxx miles of abuse towing and my dumb ass thinking its a trophy truck they prob need to be done anyway. 2 things im supposed to check for the ls unit, one is that its the proper plate/clutch/plate... setup on each side. i have heard that ford may stack two plates next to eachother to lessen the affect of the ls therefore lessening the wear on clutches. the second is i heard adding another clutch to each side will increase pressure and the limited slip action. both these will be my judgement call when i pull it apart. i also got new clutches so i will swap them in too.
    has anyone heard this stuff? it came from the almighty google last night since dr was down when i got home
    but less of the friction modifier is a good idea...
    also im not doin a locker no matter what or a spool or anything retarded like that i do drive a lot on the street and i really dont think it is that necessary for dirt use. adds way to much stress.
    the reason i ask about the axle in desert running is if it should hold up in my truck, or if it might be a budget option for guys who want to run leaf springs in a half ton and beat on it without problems
    i'm gonna stop saying racist jokes cause racism is a crime and crime is for black people.

i have heard several times about increasing the plates/clutches and it will help immensely. throw a truss on it and dont worry about it.

Garrett

the axle weighs 333 lbs according to google, so its not as bad as i thought, i wonder what the weight of a built up trussed 9" thats comparable in strength
    i saw gears in them going up into the 5s so i dunnot if thats true or not, in either event it doesnt matter to me i have 700ftlbs of torque and a 6spd with a granny gear my 3.73s are plenty of gearing for that truck.
    i do really like the full floater aspect and the indestructable end bearings and seals.
    im doin all the bearings in the diff this weekend, just ordered the parts, even if this doesnt fix it, 180xxx miles of abuse towing and my dumb ass thinking its a trophy truck they prob need to be done anyway. 2 things im supposed to check for the ls unit, one is that its the proper plate/clutch/plate... setup on each side. i have heard that ford may stack two plates next to eachother to lessen the affect of the ls therefore lessening the wear on clutches. the second is i heard adding another clutch to each side will increase pressure and the limited slip action. both these will be my judgement call when i pull it apart. i also got new clutches so i will swap them in too.
    has anyone heard this stuff? it came from the almighty google last night since dr was down when i got home
    but less of the friction modifier is a good idea...
    also im not doin a locker no matter what or a spool or anything retarded like that i do drive a lot on the street and i really dont think it is that necessary for dirt use. adds way to much stress.
    the reason i ask about the axle in desert running is if it should hold up in my truck, or if it might be a budget option for guys who want to run leaf springs in a half ton and beat on it without problems
    i couldnt be happier with the posi in ours. it litterally will NEVER spin only 1 tire. on the last trip i had it in granny first idleing with my foot on the brake, both rear sat there spinning at about .25mph untill it dug 2 10" deep holes.

My 250 has the sterling rear and I'm running 37 m16s (about 100lbs per wheel and tire) with a custom tune that puts my numbers at about 420hp/800pounds of torque. I can't speak for desert applications but so far it's been awesome on the street and in the thickest south florida mud I could find, it was a champ on so CO mountain climbs too.

A true trac is one of the best upgrades for the diff without going to a full locker. I know you can fool it into locking by applying a little brake and throttle at the same time.

As for gear choices I wouldn't go past 4.56 in a diesel app, I've heard a few people at the track shred the teeth off the ring. Cheapest place I found gear was on broncograveyard. Check out powerstroke.org that place is a honey hole for all things ford superduty.

x2 on powerstroke.org!

well i think i figured out why the ls unit sucked haha 2 of the clutch plates were broken in half. new clutch plates are in and tomrrow i will get the new bearings pressed on the pinion and ring gear and it will all go back together.
    this axle was really easy to tear apart it took about a hour to get everything out and on the bench and another hour to put together the ls clutches and set everything up.
    the bearings on the pinion were completely toast they slid right off the the pinion gear even though they are supposed to be a pressed fit

the bearings on the pinion were completely toast they slid right off the the pinion gear even though they are supposed to be a pressed fit
    you need a new pinion then. i had the same issue awhile back. the bearings spin on the pinion and wear the metal down. no bearing will fit tight now.

actually the new one does. the old bearing is .002 bigger ID than the old one and the bearing surface on the pinion is the same as a new one strangley. i have heard that some rear end shops bore out a set of bearings for the pinion gear to make setting up the pinion depth easier so you dont have to press it on and off everytime. the general consensus is that my pinion gear is fine and a shop must have done a bearing job before i owned it and forgot to take the bored bearing off. also the limited slip was set up wrong according to the factory setup si im thinking some shoddy work was done on it.

ooo...ok. never mind then, that is really weird.

just make sure you weld another couple hundred pounds of hot rolled to it to make sure it dosent break. lol

if it's good enough for the golden unicorn it's good enough for me!
    oh, and biggest/toughest race in USA? so you're doing the baja1K?

-the bodj

you are thinking of the sterling 10.25. pre 99 truck has a 10.25 axle, when they switch to the "super duty" style they upgraded to a 10.5 which has 3 pinion carrier.

Quote Originally Posted by matt_helton View Post
    just make sure you weld another couple hundred pounds of hot rolled to it to make sure it dosent break. lol

well on the positive side his axle will double as a hydro foil if he just keeps his speed up

you are thinking of the sterling 10.25. pre 99 truck has a 10.25 axle, when they switch to the "super duty" style they upgraded to a 10.5 which has 3 pinion carrier.

My bad, forget there was two different 10.25's. It still seems to say here that the 10.5 has a 2 pinion spider gear though

Ford 10.25 & 10.50-Inch Axle Tips - Sterling 1050 - Four Wheeler Magazine
    - Mini Mike
    Hopes and Dreams Racing

ya mine is the 3 pinion axle already so i guess im pre upgraded already

now all i gotta do is fix my drive shaft and transmission haha maintenance is fun!

My bad, forget there was two different 10.25's. It still seems to say here that the 10.5 has a 2 pinion spider gear though

Ford 10.25 & 10.50-Inch Axle Tips - Sterling 1050 - Four Wheeler Magazine
    wiki says 3 pinion lol
    who knows

wiki says 3 pinion lol
    who knows
    Obviously not me hahahaha
    - Mini Mike
    Hopes and Dreams Racing

10.25 is 2 pinion carrier.

10.5 is 3 pinion carrier.

Garrett

EvilRanger likes this.

So I am bumping this old thread. What's your guys opinion for a 10.25 / 10.5 in a smaller truck like a ranger? I know it's a lot of unsprung weight especially after adding a small truss to help those axle tubes stay in place.

Also I was looking into a 10.5 because I like the idea of disc brakes and an e-brake. The 05+ (maybe 04+) are about 4" wider total then the previous years, but the problem with any over 99 is they are a metric bolt pattern. I have seen 3 ways to covert them to 8 on 6.5. 1st is custom hubs that are expensive. 2nd is to redrill the bolt pattern and have 2 bolt patterns. 3rd is to drill out the metric bolt pattern and run a custom stud with a large knurl. I am leaning towards the third option but I'm not sure how costly it will be.

Option 2

Option 3

Left, off the shelf stud. Middle, machined stud, right, OEM F and E series stud.

E series 8 on 6.5 disc

- Mini Mike
    Hopes and Dreams Racing

honestly if it was going in a ranger i wouldn't even truss it, just weld the tubes to the center section. i know mine is still going strong despite the beating, 7000lbs, and 600ftlbs
    04yfzkid likes this.

sounds like a lot of work where a 9in with a simple truss will hold up fine, and you can use explorer discs for to have e-brake. also, what front end parts are you gonna use to match the bolt pattern?

Also, those things have terrible ground clearance...
    -Sean

Quote Originally Posted by matt_helton View Post

this^^ is awesome, too funny..
    Quote Originally Posted by Scraptor View Post
    No unless the sheep were all dead and the melon crops failed.
    Quote Originally Posted by HITMAN View Post
    wow, you went fishing, i went fisting. how is your mom doing?
    HELLRAISERS OFFROAD MOTORSPORTS

Quote Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone View Post
    sounds like a lot of work where a 9in with a simple truss will hold up fine, and you can use explorer discs for to have e-brake. also, what front end parts are you gonna use to match the bolt pattern?

Also, those things have terrible ground clearance...
    It may be a decent amount of work for a hell of a lot cheaper then a 9". d44 ttb converted over to 8 lug with chevy A-arm hubs, or d50 ttb ends on d44 ttbs. Explorer brakes would mean drilling out every new rotor to 5 on 5.5 if that that's even possible.
    - Mini Mike
    Hopes and Dreams Racing

what he said ^^ i dont understand people's fear of 8 lug. ya the rims are a tiny bit more expensive, but who cares. only if your racing does that come into play, but even then, we are talking about loosing a few seconds on tire changes.

I'm not afraid of 8 lug. It's just a needlessly heavy axle, that still needs to be trussed so the tubes don't come out of it, so now it's even heavier. And the ground clearance sucks. I already occasionally drag my 9in. I would hate to have a huge sterling diff hanging down another couple inches.
    -Sean

Go weigh a Sterling then weigh a 9" with 35 spline axles, truss, and a aftermarket center section. You will be surprised how close they are.

The older drum brake axles are heavy due to the drums. Car Craft did an article on weights of 12 bolt Chevy, Dana 60, and Ford 9". Once you stripped the brakes off they where within 30 pounds. The also had a good write up on how hypoid offset affects strength and efficiency.
    I give negative fucks.

Ground clearance would be a main concern for me as well. We recently made a 9" skid on carlover's 9" that's under his explorer. It hangs about 1" below the housing. We found some two-track in Barstow deep enough that it actually lifted the 35's off the ground!
    An inch or two can make a big difference.
    "I know not what weapons world war three will be fought with, but world war four will be fought with sticks and stones"
    A. Einstein

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information