Default 4.0 OHV to 4.0 SOHC Swap questions

So I just picked up a project ranger that came with a low mile engine on a crate and a dead engine and tranny in the car. The truck is a 1997 Ranger EXT with a 4.0 OHV, and the new engine is a 4.0 SOHC taken out of a 2001 or 2002 explorer (can't remember off the top of my head).

The truck still has all of the wiring harness still hooked up to the dead engine, it has the body harness, and the computer. The new engine has the wiring harness and the computer.

I've done some research, and am reading 1000 different answers from 1000 different people. Everyone has there own opinion. What I was looking for was some answers on what would be simpler (I'm not electrically or wire inclined at all.) To use the OHV wiring harness and make it work with the SOHC, or just use the SOHC wiring harness. I don't have a transmission yet and am planning on going with an auto.

So what would be entailed with using the OHV wiring harness and what transmission would work? would I need a stand alone transmission controller or not?

Just want this to be as easy and quick as possible. If anyones done this and wants to shoot over some advice or specifics I would aprreciate it.

obtaIN the wiring diagrams for both motors and engine bay harnesses.. and compare.
    why not just use the SOHC harness? everything outside of the engine harness and engine bay harness is simple rewiring.

youre going to have to do some splicing of some connectors.
    "Someone who thinks logically provides nice contrast to the real world"
    "Takes more than a 40 of King Cobra and a little hippy cabbage to make a car that bad." <-- on the topic of Dodge/Chrysler
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkypyro View Post
    Fastest way to a million dollars in desert racing is to start with 2 million.

did this swap, if you can swing the money, juanco performance (call fiberwerx) harness goes on so easy and has everything labeled and he tunes your computer so everything works smoothly. He is one of the 4.0L guru's.... He is hard to reach best bet is call fiiberwerx.
    www.facebook.com/keithminnicksracing KMR would like to thank KMC Wheels, FK Rod Ends, Yukon Gear, Lucas Oil, Rigid Industries, MPD Fiberglass, Icom, Primo Powder, Sway-A-Way, PRP Seats, Dana Sniff Trans, Fragola Performance Systems... Time to battle for 2014 class 7 championship...SNORE class 7 rep... #KMR7234

Quote Originally Posted by F.A.S.T.clothing View Post
    did this swap, if you can swing the money, juanco performance (call fiberwerx) harness goes on so easy and has everything labeled and he tunes your computer so everything works smoothly. He is one of the 4.0L guru's.... He is hard to reach best bet is call fiiberwerx.
    how much does that run for a harness and tuned computer?

I believe 1 g for both 600 for harness 400 computer
    amp engineering Aaron Ratke for any of your wiring needs 760-912-1902

I'll have to call him. If it's around 1k for harness and computer and it's plug and play it might just be worth not hassling with it. Unless there is an semi-easy way to do this that I haven't seen yet.

While I'm waiting to get ahold of this Juanco guy does anyone know if I picked up a wiring harness from a 1997 explorer if it would be plug and play?

i dont think it will be exactly plug and play, the explorer and ranger SOHC are slightly different.

go on autozone.com and look up their diagrams for both motors and see where the wires lead to in the computer harness
    "Takes more than a 40 of King Cobra and a little hippy cabbage to make a car that bad." <-- on the topic of Dodge/Chrysler

we put a 01 explorer sohc into our truck, gave juan the engine harnes and computer fro it and he did the work, turns our he had to get a different computer. Then we just plug it to all the corresponding parts on the motor and acc and then mounted the bulkhead connector and we tag the wires on the other side according to his layout/guide and the obd2 connector
    www.facebook.com/keithminnicksracing KMR would like to thank KMC Wheels, FK Rod Ends, Yukon Gear, Lucas Oil, Rigid Industries, MPD Fiberglass, Icom, Primo Powder, Sway-A-Way, PRP Seats, Dana Sniff Trans, Fragola Performance Systems... Time to battle for 2014 class 7 championship...SNORE class 7 rep... #KMR7234

Do you know if the dash wiring is the same? or are the connectors different.

They are going to be different.

Sent from your moms rancid vagina using Tapatalk

Thread Information