8Likes
  • 5 Post By F1sleepy
  • 1 Post By NODNARB
  • 1 Post By G.E.S
  • 1 Post By Prenissan

Thread: how far can tires stick out???

Default how far can tires stick out???

So how far “legally” can your tires stick out past your fenders and where do they measure from, top/front/backside.

Going to a wider tire and my old size stuck out about 2+” and I have never been hassled. But the new tires (same rims, 3.5” back space, 7”) will stick out about 4+” on the front.

Only have the hannaman 4.4” conversion front fenders and I don’t think they make any wider ones.
    The rear is fine, tucks up good.

so what is legal and then what do most people get away with?
    charlie brown goes to baja.

Quote from Ted Nugent: As long as the idiots don’t like you, it proves you are not an idiot.
    my 4.0 sohc motor swap. http://www.dezertrangers.com/vb/dr-rides/119213.htm

Technically, fenders have to completely cover the tires. Not sure where that is measured from. I'm sure you don't drive like a jackass, so I bet you will be ok.
    "I know not what weapons world war three will be fought with, but world war four will be fought with sticks and stones"
    A. Einstein

ya technically the tire has to be totally covered like a stock vehicle is so that rocks and etc dont get kicked up onto other vehicles. its up to the cop if they want to be strict on it or not - similar to window tint, you can get away with it 90% of the time, but then theres the 10%. it is a fix it ticket - temp mud flaps will get it signed off, but its not something Id want to worry about every time it gets driven.
    Hell, Ive got tools to fix tools...C'mon bitch, break somethin'

Avoid the freeway in the rain if you don't want to be hassled. Pretty much a dead giveaway when you put out a 12' spray from both sides of the truck LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by NODNARB View Post
    Technically, fenders have to completely cover the tires. Not sure where that is measured from. I'm sure you don't drive like a jackass, so I bet you will be ok.
    hahaaa, like you must of seen me drive before. i once got pulled over for going to slow.

Quote from Ted Nugent: As long as the idiots don’t like you, it proves you are not an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie_brown View Post
    hahaaa, like you must of seen me drive before. i once got pulled over for going to slow.
    Haha, that's pretty bad. On the way to pick up your AARP card? Haha
    emptyzrider likes this.
    "I know not what weapons world war three will be fought with, but world war four will be fought with sticks and stones"
    A. Einstein

1994 Pickup Duffco-Bilstein-National-Auburn-Richmond
    Build Thread: http://www.dezertrangers.com/vb/dr-rides/143608.htm

ORW Internet Division 1-888-679-5337: Ask for John http://www.offroadwarehouse.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Dethyota View Post
    there is one key word in that law that makes it an opinion of the person up-holding the law. trust me. i know 1st hand experance. it has a reallllllllllly big gray area of "measurement"
    I'll always love you dad- 3-14-45 - 9-03-2011

Quote Originally Posted by Mike@pitb View Post
    MIG welding.... giving people with a complete lack of knowledge of how to weld the ability to fuck shit up since a long time ago...

Quote Originally Posted by F1sleepy View Post
    Avoid the freeway in the rain if you don't want to be hassled. Pretty much a dead giveaway when you put out a 12' spray from both sides of the truck LOL.
    I JUST got pulled over and hassled for that exact thing today on the way home from gorman when it started pouring for a bit. I was spraying everything within a lanes distance to the side tho. Tires stick out about 3" and he didn't say anything about mudflaps or fenders, just yelled at me for doing 63 in a 65 because supposedly the speed limit is 10 mph. lower when its raining... Gave me a "warning"... It's gonna be like everyones saying... It'll all depend on the attitude of the cop who pulled you over and/or even more if your getting pulled over for anything else at the same time.

my tires stick out right around 4" past the glass and ive never been hassled but i dont drive around like a jackass so i havent been hassled about anything on my truck yet haha

I got pulled over in our ranger, the cop said we needed mud flaps in the front and rear... Because us "prerunner people" cause accidents by throwing up rocks at people behind us. He ended up just giving a warning after we agreed to putting mud flaps on the front and rear... but we sold it the next day
    Roads? Where we're going we don't need... Roads!

so.... charlie brown... there is no reason answer. it depends on the cop. been pulled over for the in the rain thing. well my sister was driving my truck. but i was passenger. he said some cops will measure from the top of of the wheel well. or the bottom front/rear. so in reality. choose your words nicely with the cop. and explain you have read up on the law. and it didnt state a distance. now with that being said. use your own opinion and ask yourself, can it cause a problem. if he wants to be a dick. hopefully a taller fullsize truck is in proximity and ask how yours is any different. sticking out an inch or 2. is probably ok. 4 or 5. your pushing your luck alot
    I'll always love you dad- 3-14-45 - 9-03-2011

Quote Originally Posted by Mike@pitb View Post
    MIG welding.... giving people with a complete lack of knowledge of how to weld the ability to fuck shit up since a long time ago...

Charlie if you're switching from a 10.5 wide tire to a 12.5 wide tire shouldn't the trackwidth only increase by around 1" per side?
    -----

^^^ ^^
    yea, it is only going to about an inch or so more. my 10.50"s stick out a few inches but when i mounted up one of the 35 to check for clearance, it really looked like a lot.

everyone's said it but i'll just add, it all depends on the cop. my old gmc had the fabtech "longtravel", 33x12.5's with 0 backspace, stock fenders. i was pulled over once for the tires sticking out past the fenders, was told i needed mudflaps for the front. asked the cop if fiberglass fenders would correct the problem and he said yes. 95% of the time, you wont be hassled. its only a fix it ticket or a warning anyway.
    93 F-250 4x4 7.3 IDI, banks sidewinder turbo, built e4od, D-60 sas, 37 inch humvee tires. current DD and tow bitch
    99 Tahoe
    93 Malibu Echelon

you'll need mud flaps if the tires are sticking out past the fenders. you may or may not get pulled over for it, but it's better if you had em.

dsci0158.jpgnf-shop-2-3-09.jpg

this thread needs some pict.

you need flaps.

Pic with a 35?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -Sean
    '04 Ranger Edge. DERTCO built.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE NUMBERS!!

I'd say depends on the cop and if he messures from green line or red line.tire-size.jpg That day his wife may not have blown him or he just spilled coffee in his lap. You never know...cops are people too.
    ljubera0250 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone View Post
    Pic with a 35?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    nope, 33"x10.50"

ha! im running 33x1250s right now on my colorado, with no bed on(bedcage process) and im pretty surprised i have not been pulled over, ive been paced for a few miles but nothing YET. lol and even with my bed on my rear tires stick out a solid 3" past factory bedsides. !

Long as you dont drive like an idiot I think thats a good deciding factor lol and of course if the cop is having a shitty day etc or bored. blah blah
    "Since i can weld things together too, does that mean im a fabercator?"
    1995 Ranger 4.0 ext cab - Equal Length beams, 4 Link'd WIPP
    2006 Colorado std Cab - Cali leaned on 33s, Daily.
    1995 s10 ext cab 4.3 - It had goodies.. R.I.P
    I Love the Dezert!

if the cop measures at the top of the fender, you should be good. if he measures at the bottom right along the rocker panel, you're boned. i had a cop tell me i needed front flaps even though the top of my fenders stick out past the tires, the backside is barely covered.

Mr Charlie brown.... temporary thread derail.

I noticed in the pic above that your bearings etc are exposed up front.

I'm sure you covered those up... but how?

I need to do something for my truck. I have the inside covered (just used a holesaw cutout from flat piece of place, tacked it on.. and hten RTV'd it to seal.)

I have no clue what to do with outside though. Not sure if I should custom make a "cap" that can bolt on or something.

As for the tires. I have seen somewhere where a guy made tiny mud flaps off the botton corner up front. Actually didn't look bad at all because he did a clean job. Just cant remember where I saw that!
    - Double A Ron

Go to home depot or any hardware store and get a rubber pipe cap. The kind that are secured using a hose clamp. Simple and easy to remove if needed.

Mike
    RIP Jon Butler
    You will never be forgotten!

Quote Originally Posted by FasterNU View Post
    Mr Charlie brown.... temporary thread derail.

I noticed in the pic above that your bearings etc are exposed up front.

I'm sure you covered those up... but how?

I need to do something for my truck. I have the inside covered (just used a holesaw cutout from flat piece of place, tacked it on.. and hten RTV'd it to seal.)

I have no clue what to do with outside though. Not sure if I should custom make a "cap" that can bolt on or something.

As for the tires. I have seen somewhere where a guy made tiny mud flaps off the botton corner up front. Actually didn't look bad at all because he did a clean job. Just cant remember where I saw that!
    on the inside i used freeze plugs, the out side is stock dana 44 full time dust cap. i got from here Team Grand Wagoneer: Search Results they just press in. used to use these back in the day when i race with a class 4 (full time 4-wheel drive J-10 truck) they would fall off after some hard racing so on my truck, i drilled a small hole and tapped it for a set screw.

Quote Originally Posted by only1mikey View Post
    Go to home depot or any hardware store and get a rubber pipe cap. The kind that are secured using a hose clamp. Simple and easy to remove if needed.

Mike
    that will work but i think it looks a little hokie (with out the pokie).

dsci0159.jpgdsci0160.jpgdsci0156.jpgdsci0038.jpg

put a 35" x12.5 today and took some shots.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie_brown View Post
    that will work but i think it looks a little hokie (with out the pokie).

This would how you would see them most of the time anyways.

Truck was never a show truck

Mike
    RIP Jon Butler
    You will never be forgotten!

Awesome! Thanks!

I think I will go that Jeep/D44 cover route. I was thinking to make a set screw just like that.

Or, if i don't happen to order them before i go.. I will do what Mikey suggested.

Don't want the hokie no pokie look! lol

Oh and the 35's don't look like they are sticking out a ton.. but wonder if the men in blue would still harass you for it. Notice you have some lines layed out to cut the glass, eh?

Thing is with your truck.. you can totally tell you are trying to abide by the law. I would htink the cop would have to be in a real bad mood to write you up for the tires/mudflaps
    Last edited by FasterNU; 11-11-2011 at 03:35 PM.
    - Double A Ron

i like the set up that mikey showed. defenitly would go that rout for a race truck or if you went to glamis alot.

my set up my be factory but it it ridget and i dont think they are the best seal. use some silicone.

i went to the junkyard got some parts from locking hubs. all you need is the big snap ring, the spline insert thing, and the cap its pretty easy leave all the other junk out

Thread Information