I'm going to swap my 7.5 1994 ranger rear end with an 8.8 explorer rear end. I would like some input from anyone who has already done this about break system compatibility, drive shat yoke match up with a auburn limited slip diff, leaf match up... running stock rear end setup for the moment. Stock shock placement... or anything else that seems relevant. Any help would be cool.
    Ride it, Drive it or Fuck it

When somebody tells you nothing is impossible, ask them to dribble a football.

the explorers come with discs right? that would be nice. and i hear the 8.8's gears are harder to change, haha.
    i need to quote someone stupid......go ahead and type something

I would also liek to know what to do for this kinda swap since the exploders have a spring under set up. IS it a prime candidate for the 62 or 64 inch spring under bolt in kit form deaver/giant?
    drive it like you stole it

95 was the first year of discs. *any drum explorer 8.8 shouldn't have issues with the ranger's brake system. *if you have discs, you'll probably need to pick up proportioning valves and master cylinders. *i've read on some late model rangers, this is not necessary, and i would guess that this would be true for 98 and newer rangers, but i'm not positive. *

driveshaft match up shouldn't be an issue for the 94 ranger. *if you're running shocks under the bed, you'll have to torch the sway bar tabs and weld on some shock mounts. *

since you're probably going spring over, you'll need to weld on spring perches. *the spring perches underneath should be a good reference point as to where the spring perches should be up above. *as a matter of fact, it should be directly above it. *if you choose to go spring under, a la 64" kit, you could use the stock spring perch but that will probably give you a very high pinion angle, so you'll probably have to get rid of those. *with a prerunner pack, spring over, the pinion angle i'm using is 4.5 deg. *of course you'll want this to match up to the pinion angle at the transmission for whichever ranger you have, standard, long bed, or x-cab.

since you're swapping rear ends, it'd be a good idea to do the brakes, outer bearings, and gear oil (you sorta have to if you're going to do bearings). *napa has some sweet SKF bearings where the bearing and seals are housed in a single metal unit instead of the bearing plus a rubber seal. *and some useless tidbit, if the O-rings are crusty and or gone where the c-clip meets the axle, the correct size O-ring is a 7/8th OD and a 3/4 ID.

damn, i'd figure someone would chime in about this. 410fortune? heh, masta-t (i know you're reading this).

To do the swap all I did was put on spring perches, I got new U-bolts and spring plates since the axle tubes are larger in diameter. I bled the brakes on it, 1993 Ranger, and all my braking was excellent. As stated above if you wanna run shocks off the axle your going to have to add mounts to it because they are attached at the spring plate on Explorers. Your best bet is to get a spring plate off the F-150 or any other full size Ford truck and use those instead. As far as pinion angle with the rear end you should not have any serious problems simply going from explorer to ranger.
    1492 Co-Driver

Thread Information