Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

So i have been searching on many different forums and havent found what ive been needing. i want to convert my 22re to a carbed 22r. i hate seeing all those wires and shit all over the place.
    so what im asking is that what is needed to do this conversion? and is it worth it?
    thanks
    aka B-Rad
    ES Motorsports
    Desertworks Fabrication
    BT Motorsports

why the hell would you want to do that? I had a carbed 22r and it was the biggest pain in the ass ever. very temperamental and didn't like whoops. just cut the stock fuse blocks out and make the truck run on 4 wires. Had my 22re running on 4 wires, have the 3.4 v6 running on 6.
    -B

Why would you ever want to do that? I have heard of guys going from carbs to fuel injection, but never the other way around.

yeah, the fuel injection is a lot less hassle, and less work orientated.
    i wish my grass was emo so it would cut itself

Quote Originally Posted by KartmanAZ View Post
    WTF is that? A giant fleshlight?

Racer/ Photog Go Go Gadget Arms's Avatar

whats the big deal with having a carbed motor? helton did it and his truck sure didnt have any problems winning the 2006 series. i think its a good idea if you put the right combination together.
    Flores Motorsports 1408

It can be done. Whatever floats your boat I guess. You'll need the vacume advance 22R distributer, a mechanical fuel pump (the EFI pump fuel pressure will be way to high), the intake manifold, the carb, computer and maybe the wiring harnass. 22R's don't have as much power and are not as efficient as a 22RE. I don't see any upside to the swap.

I have a 22R with low street miles and all the wiring, computer, etc. Depending on the mileage of your motor, lets trade.

toyota carbed trucks have almost as much wiring as EFi trucks. I'd just keep it EFI and try and put the wires in a nice loom.

hey don't let all these jackies f with you. I posted this same ? about 2 months ago and now i'm in the process of doing it. I decided that my new truck (1985 carbed yota) would be easier to leave carbed than to swap in a 22re and keep it streetable. so i talked to Helton and he said to get a 38mm Weber downdraft (what he runs). so i'm taking a 22re long block and converting it to a 22r- pretty easy actually u just need all the stuff off of a 22r motor ie.-intake manifold, distributor,fuel pump, etc. not much really. plus i have a good mechanic friend who will dial it in! LET ME KNOW IF YOU NEED HELP! I also have a post in fab shop about the build-"ESB ARMED 1985 YOTA 2WD"
    IF YOU DON'T LIKE BUCKSHOT, DON'T COME TO MY HOUSE, SAVVY!!!!!

85 yota- ur wrong on that! there is hardly any wiring on a 22r truck than a 22re truck. there is like 3x more wiring harness on a 22re alltogether on that truck. trust me i have both of each sitting in my yard!

sorry guys i was at the MORE race these last couple of days.
    thanks for the replys.
    i would like to keep the motor i have now cause it has less then 4000 miles on it and has a cam and some other goodies.
    but if i could get the EFI to work with less wires please tell me.
    if i went carbed i would like to go with the holley 500 cfm 2 barrel. so i would need the head, intake, distributer, and ignition
    i dont under stand the fuel pump couldnt i just run a fuel presure regulator like and other carbed motor or no.
    thanks

esbyota: what can a cut out and what do i need and what did you do.
    aka B-Rad
    ES Motorsports
    Desertworks Fabrication
    BT Motorsports

For the EFI pump it is not a good to regulate it because the volume decreases. The mechanical carb pump will have enough volume with the correct lower fuel pressure.

You don't need the head off of a carb motor as long as the RE engine is newer than 1985 and has the blockoff plate for the mechanical fuel pump which is driven by the cam. 85-95 blocks and heads are all the same and interchangeable with eachother.

for the money you will spend to do the swap, you could go buy a stand alone system and keep the EFI and get 12-15 HP extra out of the motor. You will have hardly anywiring on the truck at all.

i have the distributorless ignition so i have a little more to the wiring harness. There is very few sensors needed to run the stand alone system. It literally takes me less than a minute to connect all the wiring on my motor.

www.sdsefi.com for more info on the system. TCR automotive is a distributor for them and also a very big name with toyota motors and Tim would be able to answer any questions you would have about the motor. www.toyotaperformance.com

ok how much is a standalone computer?

SDS Pricing

Info for all the pricing on the SDS systems

so it costs a minimum of $880 to get minimum wires and 12-15 xtra horses? Helton said by just putting a larger 38mm aftermarket carb on would definately liven up the motor=more horsepower and with the carb it hardly has any wiring and I only spent $400.00. It kinda looks like the route i took is pretty simple and $500.00 cheaper!

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (woodystruck#2 @ May 28 2007,7:52)]so it costs a minimum of $880 to get minimum wires and 12-15 xtra horses? *Helton said by just putting a larger 38mm aftermarket carb on would definately liven up the motor=more horsepower and with the carb it hardly has any wiring and I only spent $400.00. *It kinda looks like the route i took is pretty simple and $500.00 cheaper!
    Do you have any other engine mods? I have a pretty stock 22r and was thinking about going with the Weber 32/36 DGES carb and probably just some headers/exhaust for a while. Not sure which to go with now though...

I still have the wiring harness somewhere i think. I just went to toyota and printed out the wiring diagram for the motor, same with the 3.4. found which wires need power, ran them to a switch and that was the main power for the computer. Ran a push button switch to the starter and it runs perfect. I have one the main harness which connects to the plugs in the motor, ie: fuel injectors and that crap but cut out all the other wiring bs like fuse blocks and stuff.
    -B

Quote[/b] (esbyota @ May 28 2007,10:05)]I still have the wiring harness somewhere i think. *I just went to toyota and printed out the wiring diagram for the motor, *same with the 3.4. *found which wires need power, *ran them to a switch and that was the main power for the computer. *Ran a push button switch to the starter and it runs perfect. *I have one the main harness which connects to the plugs in the motor, ie: fuel injectors and that crap but cut out all the other wiring bs like fuse blocks and stuff.
    let em know if you wanna sell that?

and with your harness there is no sensors or any thing right?
    aka B-Rad
    ES Motorsports
    Desertworks Fabrication
    BT Motorsports

Quote[/b] (woodystruck#2 @ May 28 2007,7:52)]so it costs a minimum of $880 to get minimum wires and 12-15 xtra horses? *Helton said by just putting a larger 38mm aftermarket carb on would definately liven up the motor=more horsepower and with the carb it hardly has any wiring and I only spent $400.00. *It kinda looks like the route i took is pretty simple and $500.00 cheaper!
    ya, if you already have a 22r motor. If you are doing a conversion from a 22re motor, there is alot more involved. Plus a 22r is already starting out with less HP than a 22re. Plus in the end, you dont have to deal with a carburetor. Before i went the route i did with my motor, i had asked everyones opinions on whether or not to go carb or stick with EFI, and it was unanimous to stick with EFI. The SDS setup is only a wiser choice if you already have EFI to begin with.

I have both motors and there is really not much more expense than throwing a new carb on it and intake gaskets. I'm using parts off of the carbed motor to make my 22re carbed. plus i want to keep this truck with the carbed motor and harness street legal- would be a bitch to convert a 22r truck harness to a 22re motor and keep the harness w/ lights, horn,etc. are u pickin up what i'm puttin down?

I'll check out what I have from it when I go work on the truck tomorrow. If you are going from a 22re there would be a bunch of working involved because of the stock wiring harness. Also the 22re has a different cam in it which makes more power then the 22r.
    -B

thanks ESByota let me know
    aka B-Rad
    ES Motorsports
    Desertworks Fabrication
    BT Motorsports

esbyota can you post some pics up of how you have your truck wired up......
    Bumble Bee Tuna

k you guys owe me:

Here are all the switches. Main, ignition, fuel pump, then others:

Then fuse board I made, turn main power on then the first fuse block gets power. It was computer power, dust lights, and some others. then the other is controlled by switches like fuel pump or lights:

Inside just cause:

Computer labeled and wired on 8 wires. Didn't have one of the plugs so i got wires from a computer store and made them fit into each prong that needed power:

And here is the hard part that I basically didn't do, Weaver or drawnattention on here did. Get the wiring diagram from toyota for your year, model, motor, then find out what ones need power and your golden:

All in all it was pretty time consuming but well worth losing all the stock bs. right now I have running lights, and brake lights. If you needed turn signals you would just have to wire in flasher and you would be fine, But you can just use hand signals!
    -B

i just picked up an 87 yota with a carburated 22r. what would u guys recomend for performance parts. im looking to drop about 3gs in the motor. should i just swap it out for a v6 or v8?
    blinger

Quote[/b] (chunks @ May 30 2007,7:16)]i just picked up an 87 yota with a carburated 22r. what would u guys recomend for performance parts. im looking to drop about 3gs in the motor. should i just swap it out for a v6 or v8?
    ohh and by the way it just turned 270000
    blinger

Thank you ESBYOTA just saved me so much hassel and bull....
    Bumble Bee Tuna

The only reason to switch to a carb from efi is for horsepower in my eyes. The only way to get huge power out of a 22r is a by using the carb set up. If ur running a relatively sstock motor (not bored or stroked) stay with an efi. I switched from a 22r to 22re bc of reliability. I broke two stock carbs from desert abuse. The stock carbs are not made to hammer whoop sections. There is more wiring for an efi harness but I stripped it down and got rid of what I didn't need. I have a brand new 22r head and carb if someone wants it???
    Live to Ride, Ride to Live

Any time, again like ^^ said the only reason I could see from switching to carb from efi would be to run dual webers. And if you are doing this I hope you know alot about carbs and will spend a lot of time to get them to run right..
    -B

dual webers are only good if you are going to spin the motor well over 7-8k rpms. which will be a VERY unreliable motor. 22r series motors do not like to be revved very high. IF you want a reliable motor for the desert, dont expect more than 180 or so HP from a 22r series motor.

With my current motor which makes 140 HP at the wheels, i was able to pull 6k rpms in 4th gear with 4.88s and 33s. You wont need to go any faster than that in the desert.

That was even at 7k ft elevation

91yota... what did you do to your motor? Who built it?

minitacoma

I say keep it a 22re, Intake, Header, Exhaust, Cam, Dual-Valve Spings, Stand-Alone Fuel Man., Tune and call it a day!
    The Stock 22re Injectors flow like at 165cc, dont quote me, A good injector up grade are Tacoma injectors, they flow at 240cc...My friend had them in his Turbo 22re for a little while....WORK great!!!

yeah im gonan stick with the 22re and do what ESByota did.

i already have a cam, valves, springs, and a header that im gonna throw on there.
    i dont know what intake im gonna go with yet, and those injectors sound like its something i should look into.
    thanks
    aka B-Rad
    ES Motorsports
    Desertworks Fabrication
    BT Motorsports

How are the LC Long Blocks? anyone have the stroker or the motor just below that one?

Quote[/b] (sleetdawg @ May 31 2007,9:19)]91yota... what did you do to your motor? Who built it?
    94mm Pistons, 12.5:1 compression
    Stage 2 head
    Dual Valve springs, Web Cam
    300CC injectors
    Fully balanced and blueprinted block
    Fully ported and balanced EFI intake
    Big Bore Throttlebody
    Dual Row Timing conversion with adjustable cam gear
    High Volume water and oil pump.
    I made a custom 6.5 quart oil pan
    SDS Stand alone with distrbutorless ignition.

All parts came from TCR automotive ( toyotaperformance.com)
    Tim is a great guy and very knowledgable. Been around toyotas for a very long time.

The LCengineering long blocks are ok, but LC isnt very well known for their attention to detail when building a motor. They want money more than anything else. TCR will send you in the direction you want to go and help you acheive what you are wanting out of the motor. He will be honest with you about the what it will cost to do what you want to do.

91 yotaprerunner- how much did u spend on that setup?

Quote[/b] (woodystruck#2 @ May 31 2007,9:00)]91 yotaprerunner- how much did u spend on that setup?
    A majority of it was sponsored, and what wasnt sponsoered i got through trade. Total i have about 1300 into the motor.

100% agree, Tim at TCR is a awesome guy and will be gettin my motor soon to do some work on when I can round up the cash. He isn't money drive like LC is.
    -B

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information