Default Bronco front suspension

ive got an '86 bronco and trying to decide between front suspension kits: camburg, spirit racing, autofab, or any others you can suggest. also, is the rear leaf of a 150 the same as a bronco?

Quote Originally Posted by vaderoni View Post
    ive got an '86 bronco and trying to decide between front suspension kits: camburg, spirit racing, autofab, or any others you can suggest. also, is the rear leaf of a 150 the same as a bronco?
    I would say Camburg or Autofab. Giant is also making beams now. There is a lot of company's out there. Call any shop and they can most likely do up some beams and radius arms.

As for the F150 leaf springs. 4x4 F150 and Bronco leafs are the same but the 2wd F150 leafs are narrower. Deaver springs get at most 16" and Autofab/National springs have cycled 18".
    Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons.

DeZeRt RaT

Get a hold of dave, maybe he can build u a set.

Quote Originally Posted by usmcgunrock View Post
    I would say Camburg or Autofab. Giant is also making beams now.
    i plan on keeping the 4wd. i really like this truck, so maybe something similar, just lower budget & w/ leafs.

JBO

I vote autofab.
    There are other companies modifying beams, but IMO the only real "kit" out there is autofab. You can be sure all the components are designed to work together, instead of trying to cobble a kit together. The "kits" are pretty comprehensive, modified beams (pay the extra $ to have them plated/reinforced), custom beam pivots (you don't get this with any other kits I've heard of), radius arms w/ crossmember, coil buckets (w/ optional ride height adjustment) with shock hoops and engine crossmember, limit straps, etc. The best par of autofab 4x4 kits is that they just plain work and handle awesome and they keep your 4wd functional and reliable.

i plan on keeping the 4wd. i really like this truck, so maybe something similar, just lower budget & w/ leafs.
    GIANT is doing extended D44 beams now.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -Aristotle
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

Quote Originally Posted by JBO View Post
    shock hoops and engine crossmember, limit straps, etc.
    is the bar at the bottom of the pic the engine crossmember? i dont see any limit straps or mention of them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4wdkit1.jpg  

JBO

Yes, it goes from shock hoop to shock hoop across engine compartment.
    You're right, limit straps are not pictured...I think they are included but you'd have to confirm that with autofab. I love the autofab suspension on my ranger, and I've ridden in SteveG's bronco and it handles great as well. He also has the national/autofab leaf springs and their 2-link/traction bars on the rear.

do you have any pics of the kit on steveg's? ive only seen his avatar. im kinda lookin at giants 64" kit for the rear, it says they make it for the 150 as well.

do you have any pics of the kit on steveg's? ive only seen his avatar. im kinda lookin at giants 64" kit for the rear, it says they make it for the 150 as well.
    You are not going to get over 20" with a 4x4 Bronco rear. Have you looked at how small your rear drive shaft is? There is a reason why people ditch the 4x4 or extend the wheel base on Broncos. If you are going to run leafs go with the Autofab/National Springs set up. 2 link to stop axle wrap, shackles, and springs that will cycle 18".
    Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons.

yeah forgot about that. if only i had a centurion...
    18" is fine by me though

I am linking the rear of mine. Still have not decided if I want to extend it or not.

you could probably do a 3/4 link without extending the truck. just take the fender and move the wheel well to the back corner like on a mini cooper, they do that so it will handle better. of you want it to look more factory, you might be able to have a 'glass company do it for you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 11704-2007-mini-cooper.jpg  

Call SOLO MOTORSPORTS they do very nice 4x4 beams.
    (626)815-1430

yeah forgot about that. if only i had a centurion...
    18" is fine by me though
    a centurian would be sweet, that would be like a mid '90s excursion prerunner.

Spirit Racing, been to their shop, very nice work.
    2000 Silverado, 63 Mercury Comet. Mild 302/T5

do you know how much spirit racings' kit costs? or the general range people pay for it; usually when a company doesn't have a price, it means it varies a lot.
    are all these shops pretty much in So Cal? im near sacramento so i kinda would like a kit that they can ship up, but if shipping costs more than a road trip, id rather come down.

As I understand it, the Spirit off-road products are now sold under the Spirson label. I don't have any personal experience with their parts but I've heard nothing but good things about them. Their bolt-on coil-over "bucket" is a very simple, well-designed, stout piece. AND, you can remove it without using a sawzall. It's better, in my opinion, than any production c/o mount made of tube. Personally I don't think it's possible to make a stand-alone tube coil-over mount that will hold up to years of abuse (without being tied into a cage structure for support).

When I was buying parts for the Bronco I almost ordered a coil-over mount from Jeremy at Spirit but decided against it because I already had the shocks to work with coil-bucket and couldn't get a clear answer on what spring rates and lengths I should use. The Autofab kit is well-sorted and eliminated all guess work. It's a bolt-on-and-play installation.

The one thing I don't like about the Spirit front end is their one-piece beam/radius arm assembly. I understand that many have used it without fail, but I just don't see the point in this application. A 2-piece design can hold up just as well, doesn't require in-house installation and can be serviced much easier. Although it's not likely that you'll wad up a well-built beam or radius arm, it's nice to know that if you do, you can order it and have a new one within days. Whereas with a one-piece design you'll either need to start from scratch or cut off damaged parts and rebuild... on the truck, not on a jig.

Quote Originally Posted by JBO View Post
    There are other companies modifying beams....
    Great point. A lot of fabricators have jumped on the TTB bandwagon and are producing parts, but not all of them have figured out that although the TTB is a brute, there are a some details that need to be sorted out to make it work right.

vaderoni, Keep in mind that the kits and parts shown on Autofab's website are not necessarily a good representation of what they are building these days. They have a ton of options for shock mounting, shock lengths and diameters. Call the shop or send an email and ask lots of questions.

Choose wisely. There are some surprisingly poor products coming out of relatively well-known shops.

Does Sprint or Spirson have a website?
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -Aristotle
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

thanks for the info steveG! i wont be buying anytime soon because im broke and going to Germany for Christmas, but i think ill look into autofab.

Desert Works Fab in San Dimas Ca. They have a very nice of 4wd beams!
    -Jeb

You could say I'm a little partial to the Camburg stuff .. haha

Really it comes down to what your budget is, what you're building and how you plan on using it. That will dictate what direction you go with. Like others have said, many shops are jumping on the TTB bandwagon and arent building parts correctly. Give me a call at the shop and I can give you some insight.

Going into my project I too am on a budget, but wanted to build something that can easily be upgraded down the road where I dont paint myself into a corner. Keeping it 4wd was important as plans are to use it as chase truck and prerunner. So far this is what I've done to my '95 Bronco. It's still a work in progress.

Front:
    Camburg extended/trussed front 4x4 housings (4" wider per side)
    Camburg heim radius arms
    4" lift coil spring
    Dual Bilstein 7100 remote res. shocks (custom valved)
    Drop pitman arm
    S/S extended brake lines
    5/8" ARP wheel studs

Rear:
    Deaver F-53 F-150 leaf springs
    Camburg F-150 MIG shackles
    Bilstein 7100 remote res shocks (custom valved)
    2" wheel spacers with 5/8" ARP wheel studs (temporary until I have a 9" rear end built)

Other:
    Hannemann front fiberglass fenders
    AutoFab rear fiberglass fenders
    KMC 17 x 8.5 Enduro beadlock wheels
    BFG 37" Project race tires

- Scott @ Camburg

Check out SOLO Motorsports in Azusa, they have done several nice Broncos and Explorers. They have a lot of experience building D35 and D44 beams. They can help with the whole setup on either model. Thier website won't be of much help, but you can call them at (626) 815-1430.
    90 Ranger, 92 Explorer
    www.SoloMotorsports.com

Spirson used to be spirit correct? Because my dad's friend used to do it but now his son Jeremy does the off road stuff. They used to do the Ford trucks and had a full sponsorship.
    2000 Silverado, 63 Mercury Comet. Mild 302/T5

Don't forget about that crazy setup Speed Unlimited did.

i know this thread is a little old and its rear suspension, but has anyone tried linking the rear of a bronco without extending the truck but doing something similar to this: bronco link fender copy.jpg
    it was a quick photoshop job i did yesterday.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bronco-link-fender-copy.jpg  

talk to high angle drive lines if you wanna take it to the max with the stock wheelbase thats the only way to go..... might be pricey tho lol

http://highangledriveline.com/

Wow nice necropost! Well, maybe someone can use this, but my bronco is long gone! haha
    Teach me, I may not know...
    (o\ ! /o)

how long is the rear driveshaft on a fsb? my eb driveshaft could cycle 18 if i let the shackes drop and the drive shaft could still do more. but maybe the transfer case output is higher in relation to the diff on fsb even though they are longer.

Thread Information