Default Camburgs Long travel kit for Silverado wandering?

I have a 04 silverado with the camburg long travel kit on it. I am having a wandering problem. Trruck will not stay straight on the road. I have been stopped by the chp cause they though I was drunk. Its not easy driving this truck. Has anyone experienced this or know what the problem is??
    thanks

im no engineer, but just maybe the alignment's off

Besides alignment , Any worn heims , parts ect....
    Ryan Cinq-Mars Amanda Jones: your the first thing I think about every morning, every night, and everytime I look at anything remotely beautiful as you....I love you more then normal words can express

Quote Originally Posted by kingmotox View Post
    just to comment on the chingy thing. what would an abnormal word be?

Junior Member lanceryon_elliott's Avatar

check alignment, make sure none of your heims or bushings are worn out. My s-10 did it before and i had an idler arm and pitman arm that was out. If you jack up the front of your truck by the frame and get the tires off the ground jsut go out there and move the tires by hand side to side and up and down. if there is play moving the tire up and down most likely its a wheel bearing or balljoint side to side movement indicates a steering component issue..
    SOMETIMES I EVEN SUPRISE MYSELF

Tim

i have an 03 silverado with camburg lt. when my dad drives my truck he is all over the place but ive just gotten used to it i guess, if it goes left just slowly bring it back to center and vise versa, quick counter reactions are what make it look like your drunk. and to be honest i have driven friends trucks that are like mine with a wider front end and stock rear and they all act the same.
    2003 silverado camburg everything
    2007 crf250x
    2008 crf 450x

F.B.R's beer drinker itwassweet's Avatar

when i picked up my ranger the same thing happened....my mom thought i was drunk by the way i was driving and alo the tires were at like 40psi so i dropped it down and that helped then i got used to it...but deff check everything and make sure its good
    I'll always love you dad- 3-14-45 - 9-03-2011

Quote Originally Posted by Mike@pitb View Post
    MIG welding.... giving people with a complete lack of knowledge of how to weld the ability to fuck shit up since a long time ago...

thanks to all, after 30,000 miles of highway I don't think the hiems or uniballs are really warn, yet may be the alignment is out. I will check that. One thing though is the uniballs in the king shocks are alittle worn cause I hear clacking going on when I come to a stop.

Silverado owner! prerunsilverado's Avatar

might need to replace the rack. my uncles 05 silverado was all over the road when i would drive it. i checked everthing over and couldnt find anything out of line on the suspension. then the place we have the trucks serviced found the steering rack was having problems, replaced it and it solved the wandering problem. he had about 80k on the truck.
    MILLER OFF-ROAD MOTORSPORTS | FRONTIER FENCE
    1999 5.3 Single Cab Silverado - LINK TO THREAD
    1996 2.3 Single Cab Ranger - LINK TO THREAD

Yeah, thought it was the rack and had Lee Power Steering rebuild the rack and modify the pump. Still same problem, but before he fixed the rack the steering was smooth if you cycled the steering back and forth with the tires off the ground, since the rebuild it pulsated as you went from full left to full right. Tommy from Lee could not figure out why and to this day it still pulsates.
    Another problem that just started was the abs and brake light coming on and the dash saying service brake system. the dealer found the problem stay it was the abs not recognizing the tire size. So I reinstalled my hypertech and it did it again. Hypertech said its not on their side and must be an abs computer issue? Have you experienced this? I am starting to get sick of all the things going wrong on this truck it only has 65k on it.
    colin

F.B.R's beer drinker itwassweet's Avatar

check the ABS sensor and wheel speed sensor for any random peices of metal. and check ur fluid level...
    and the simplest way 2 see of ur actually wheels are off/ coils
    drive down a road u know is flat and let go of the wheel and see what happenes...goes straight...then the rack or something along that line is messed up..tires could not have much contact to over pressure
    I'll always love you dad- 3-14-45 - 9-03-2011

Quote Originally Posted by Mike@pitb View Post
    MIG welding.... giving people with a complete lack of knowledge of how to weld the ability to fuck shit up since a long time ago...

Tim

well i have 75k miles on mine and almost 40k miles with the long travel installed with the 35" tires and i do not have any kind of abs issue with all stock programming on everything...are your tires the same size all arround?
    2003 silverado camburg everything
    2007 crf250x
    2008 crf 450x

your tracking problem is most likely the fact that you are working with 2 track widths. your front tires are trying to follow one groove and your rear a different groove. Solution...buy a rearend with the same trackwidth. With the ABS light... My truck did the same thing on and off with bigger tires and permanetly with new gears. Solution remove your instrument cluster and put a piece of electrical tape over the ABS light. ABS sucks in the dirt anyways.

thanks, just checked the fluid level- its fine but it looks pretty dark- dirty. Need to take the wheels off to check the abs sensors. The solution of tape on the instrument cluster could work but what about the alarm that comes on and the screen keeps saying service brake system. On the issue of wandering- if I can't get a new rear end, with adding spacers to the rear hub would that help?

my tires are the same size.

I have no experience with wheel spacers but they might help. You would need get a 4.5 inch spacer per side to make it perfect, which is a little extreme i would think. (anyone know if closer is better or does it need to be right on when it comes to trackwidth?) The door/warning chime was eliminated on my truck when I put in a aftermarket head unit.

In-process of having a ^ LinkdChevy's Avatar

My money is on the alignment. My truck is night and day difference with a good alignment job. Mine wonders pretty good and is real touchy when it isnt aligned
    "Your bed is a racecar? Yea, but its a sweet racecar"
    02 Silverado-Fugitive front end-Cone 9in floater-F87's-3.0 tripples-SOLD
    02 Z06 Vette-MS3 Cam-Kooks LT's-440RWHP-Tuned by Jim at Cal Speed and Performance
    07 Street Glide

what do you mean by aftermarket head unit?? I don't understand. My problem is when the brake service message comes on so does the chime for about 1 min.

put some positive caster in that bitch

The easiest thing to check would be tire pressure. Sometimes mud terrains will have a radial pull, but it will be mostly to one side. Try a tire rotation. If you are capable, check all servicable parts on your front end, i.e. uniballs, steering, hiems, and hubs. If all checks out, get it aligned at a shop that is familiar with lifted trucks. They should be able to provide a print out of the specs, and be able to get a burg kit well within factory specs. Good luck
    What the flip was Grandma doing at the sand dunes?

the chime your hearing is the same as the door chime which is run through the stock head unit. Aftermarket stereo eliminates all chimes - door, seatbelt, ABS, low fuel, etc. I have an 03 with a cst kit, It wonders only noticably on the freeway where road grooves are the deepest and speeds are the highest. I was assuming thats where you were having the problems. bad alignment will make it pull which could aggrevate the situation.

Hampton Bro's Racing rharleyrider's Avatar

Just sell the kit to me

my truck kinda wonders too even with a good alignment, i thought maby it was the way my caster is set but i did wonder if its cause the front is so much wider.

Certain tires can be "grabby" and tend to follow the crown or the slope of a road. Some suspensions need caster, like most domestic trucks, but new imports like toyotas do not. If memory serves, a Chevy f.s. should have around 4 degrees caster, with a -.5 degree split. This is why a print out of your alignment is important, it will list factory specs, where your trucks specs are at, and any adjustments that the shop made.
    What the flip was Grandma doing at the sand dunes?

i really don't know much on steering but i had sloppy steering, and when i replaced my bushing on my steering rack, that helped. so check you bushings on your steering rack

Colinago, where are you located?

If you decide you need an alignment, I highly recommend Aligntech in Escondido for all alignment needs. (760) 738-4848

Their rack fits over 90" track width I believe
    Cal Poly San Luis Obispo - ME
    General Atomics Aeronautical Systems Inc.

The rack is leaking out of the bottom of the output shaft plus the bushings are totaled. So wonce I get that handled, Camburg is going to get it aligned properly after I get the hiems checked.

As to the abs light problem, I fixed that the dealer had programed the abs for the 35's and when I entered 35's in the hypertech programmer it could not recognize it. Got that handled. Now I have bigger problems, the misfire code I was also having ends up being some kind of leak through the head and fauling out #7 plug. The chevy dealer in Santa Monica was not able to find out what was going on for more than 2 months , just took it to Martin GMC in santa monica and guess what, they found the problem in a matter of hours! That is pathetic for chevy never going there again, going to gmc from now on!

Thread Information