Default 2004 ranger wont start?

hey
    my gf has a 2004 ford ranger.
    last night we pulled u to get gas after fueling up i i went to start it and nothing.

we tried to jump it and nothing

the lights on the dash are really dim and flicker and i can hear something under the hood ticking when i open the door and the alarm light on the dash flashes with the ticking sound.

we cleaned up the battey and made sure it has good connection.

nothing at all happen when i try and start it but when i have cables hooked to it to try and jump it it makes a click...click sound.

what could this be?

AAA told me starter or alternator
    he also told me a new starter was $600 and i looked it up they go for $170 and cheaper so i dont know to take his word or not.hahah

thanks
    -RENEGADE-GARY

Just because AAA quotes an inflated price doesn't mean that they misdiagnosed the problem. It probably is the alternator, maybe starter. Get a second opinion from a mechanic first, then buy whatever it is and install it yourself. No idea why any of those would blow on an '04, lol that sucks

Edit: Whatever you do end up needing, shop eBay with a reputable seller and you can't go wrong.
    Last edited by 3xploder; 05-03-2008 at 04:10 PM.
    AXISoffroad
    1s1k motorsports

I would guess that your alternator went out and when you were going to the gas station, you were just running off battery, but it wasnt getting charged by the alt. Pull the alternater and get it tested. Same thing happened to my drag car one time.
    Long Travel Tundra:

.:CAMBURG.:.DEAVER.:.KING:.

the truck is pretty new never had anyprobles and low miles no sign of anything ever going wrong it just would not start haha

what should i go for firts to have tested alternator or starter?

it dont even wana start with a jump or anything

had a ranger not to long ago and alternator went out but with a jump it would stil start
    -RENEGADE-GARY

Alternator. Take it out and to any VatoZone, I believe that they test them for free.
    AXISoffroad
    1s1k motorsports

ok forsure
    thanks alot
    -RENEGADE-GARY

No problem. Don't let those guys convince you to buy anything remanufactured from them though haha, sneaky little bastards
    AXISoffroad
    1s1k motorsports

Also have the battery tested as well and then if the alternator is good then do a voltage drop between the block and battery negative and the positive post to the starter positive. Put the volt meter on dc voltage and run the leads from the points above and then if the reading is above .5 volts you have a bad connection, loose ground or terminal, corroded connection or a bad cable.

also the starter solenoids like to go bad as well. If it is bad you can jump it with a screw driver from post to post. It is located on the fenderwell.

what exactly is it doing?

Cranking and no start?

no crank? good lights and interior power

no crank with dim lights

then what happens when you try and jump it?

answer all those questions and I will tell you what is wrong with your ranger lol
    Starvation Fabrication
    Team Giant

Quote Originally Posted by Matt-1481 View Post
    also the starter solenoids like to go bad as well. If it is bad you can jump it with a screw driver from post to post. It is located on the fenderwell.

Cranking and no start?

no crank with dim lights

answer all those questions and I will tell you what is wrong with your ranger lol
    Haha READ MATT!

Quote Originally Posted by unleashedgary View Post
    we tried to jump it and nothing

the lights on the dash are really dim and flicker and i can hear something under the hood ticking when i open the door and the alarm light on the dash flashes with the ticking sound.

we cleaned up the battey and made sure it has good connection.

nothing at all happen when i try and start it but when i have cables hooked to it to try and jump it it makes a click...click sound.
    AXISoffroad
    1s1k motorsports

haha, damnitt, haha ok nice, well from what you said sounds like either the starter is bad and you also have either a bad alternator because it wasnt charging the battery back up or you have a bad ground or power cable because that also would not let the battery charge back up and then when you go to jump it with a good battery the ground cable doesnt let enough power to the starter to crank over the motor.

What exactly is clicking? the starter or the starter solenoid? or the ecm relay? or the fuel pump relay?

Ill say it is a loose ground cable on the block for $500 please.
    Starvation Fabrication
    Team Giant

What exactly is clicking? the starter or the starter solenoid? or the ecm relay? or the fuel pump relay?

Ill say it is a loose ground cable on the block for $500 please.
    Dammit Matt you ask as many questions as a girl! And I'm not Trebek, you're not Connery, so FUCK YOU !!!
    AXISoffroad
    1s1k motorsports

ok forsure
    thanks alot
    If the alternator and starter check out, take it to a reputable mechanic somewhere to figure out EXACTLY what's wrong and EXACTLY what you need.
    AXISoffroad
    1s1k motorsports

If I cant see the car and physically work on it, then hell ya I need to ask alot of questions! Trying to diag a problem over the phone is hard enough, trying to do it over DR with not enough info, come on now!

Im thinking, Ill take it to a good shop for $500 please! haha fuck you too!!!!!
    Starvation Fabrication
    Team Giant

Bahaha calm down there grease monkey you'll get your fix can't work on everyone's truck haha
    AXISoffroad
    1s1k motorsports

haha, waj, seriously

I think I live to fix and rig shit. Its all about bieng able to rig shit and fix anything with a home depot hand tool set and a harbor freight mulit-meter

Ill take how can I rig this into a bong for $500 please Alex

Do work, ok im off to the gym, FUCK YOU!!!!!!!!
    Starvation Fabrication
    Team Giant

Good times. FUCK YOU Sean! Late
    AXISoffroad
    1s1k motorsports

Also have the battery tested as well and then if the alternator is good then do a voltage drop between the block and battery negative and the positive post to the starter positive. Put the volt meter on dc voltage and run the leads from the points above and then if the reading is above .5 volts you have a bad connection, loose ground or terminal, corroded connection or a bad cable.

Cranking and no start?

no crank with dim lights

no cranke and dim lights.

when i try and jump it it make a click....click sound like it wants to maybe try and start
    -RENEGADE-GARY

Pull the battery and have it tested if you don't have a load tester.

If thats good and your confident in good connections at the cables and ground then check the solenoid with a test light. Should have a positive feed all the time on the large stud and when someone is cranking you should have power to the smaller wire. If you do have both, then I would go get a new starter.

If you battery was charged up and your alternator was bad then your truck should still start. It just wouldn't continue to charge the battery and on a newer truck like that it wouldn't run when the battery lost all of its charge as a result.

Personally, sounds like a bad battery to me. Is it the original motorcraft battery too? Hope this helps!

Oh yeah, I left something else out. Hit that starter a few times with a hammer. Not so hard as to break it but enough to give it a little jolt. Then, try and start it.

IT'S NOT THE ALTERNATOR!!
    If you tried to jump it and it wouldn't even turn over, there are 3 possibilities. 1. one of your battery cables is shorted to the engine/frame/body. 2. your starter solenoid is bad. Or, 3. your starter is bad.

The first thing I would do is pull the battery cables around some and try to start it. A exhaust manifold can melt through a battery cable like butter. Good luck.
    8/14/2010
    ==Only the ones like us that were there and lived the event will understand.==

open your fuse box and replace check your fuel pump fuse for me i have a feeling thats it and check other fuses to.. let me know what ya find...

sounds like ur starter. if it were ur alternator it would have started when u jumped it and then die when u unhooked cuz u would have been running off somebody else's juice. take off ur starter and go get it tested for free at autozone
    my mom said i'm not slow, everyone else is fast!

Quote Originally Posted by 5.0ranger-sully View Post
    open your fuse box and replace check your fuel pump fuse for me i have a feeling thats it and check other fuses to.. let me know what ya find...
    how do you figure its the fuel pump if it doesnt even crank

I dont believe its your fuel pump becuase the lights are dimming which i dont think would be an effect of a fuel pump..

Default 04 ranger

sence that noice flicks with the alarm light it could be the kill switch on your alarm that would be a good place to look

its your starter solenoid as posted above. That is a very common thing to go wrong with fords happend on my old ranger my expedition and my f 350. They are 20.00 new at Napa. Replace that and you will be up and running agian.

back yard build literally silranger's Avatar

so funny one guy says alt and everyone agrees with him typical dr guys that think they know what there talking about. Was it hard to start before this ?? Check the batt not thats what I think it is but it is easy to check. Idk why everyone is saying the starter when the starter can't crank over they make the click noise the truck is not getting enough jucie. So check batt then that alarm if its not that dont go thorwing money at it check all your gounds and you wires

i say check the fuses cuz well everything he said even down to wht the tow truck driver said is what happend to my truck which was an 04 ranger and they had a wiring harness problem so i say check the fuse at least try before spending money

get a know good battery and try to crank it over

sounds more like its a starter problem....
    and also with trying to crank a starter, think of how much amps/ current its drawing...why do u think theres 2awg wire going to the starter, could have low bat. voltage, making the lights dim, could have fucked with ur alarm, and the clicking sound u hear is the alarm box, not allowing u to even start the car...so put it in the run position, by pass the starter, IE jump it like matt said and see if it runs, to be on the safe side, clean the post on the battery, and on the block
    I'll always love you dad- 3-14-45 - 9-03-2011

Quote Originally Posted by Mike@pitb View Post
    MIG welding.... giving people with a complete lack of knowledge of how to weld the ability to fuck shit up since a long time ago...

how about taking a volt meter and checking the voltage at the battery on the lead posts,then try at the outside of the cables where they connect at the battery,then at the connection on the solenoid and at the frame or where the ground cable connects on the truck.start with simple things first and then work down the line.it could be anything from a bad connection to a bad or reversed cell in the battery.can you hear the fuel pump running or at least the relay turning on when you cycle the key?and when you jumped it did you try at the solenoid and on the actual lead posts?

like RCD, but thinking LT Lefty04LevelII's Avatar

I had this just happen to me not long ago.

I was 10 miles+ outside of town and had to call a friend to try jumping me. Symptoms were exactly as you describe. Dim lights, clicking when trying to crank (even when trying to jump it too) and while cranking lights would dim until dead. Radio kept resetting and I was getting an annoying clicking from the SJB on passenger side.

Unfortunately I ended up being towed about a mile until I could get to a downhill to pop my clutch. Drove home no problem, I get home, kill engine, and try to crank her over and same thing. I undid the battery and alternator, took both to autozone and had both fail testing. I ran the alt test 3 times.

New battery and alt and she's been fine since. Make sure you get the right alt!!! Checking both autozone's and checker's (schuck's/kragen) website listed alt ranging from a 90amp to a 200amp for an 04 4.0. Oem alt for me is a 115amp. 4.0 SOHC exploders run a 130amp. Only alt I could find locally was a pepboys and a 130amp. Stealership wanted 400 for the alt and closest one was 1000 miles away. I think I paid 150 for the alt from pepboys.
    '04 Ford Ranger FX4 LevelII
    - RCD coilover conversion + f31 Deavers + 12x2.5x700# hypercoils
    - project: BW13-54 electric to manual - need extension housing with OSS sensor hole and shift linkage bosses

thanks every one

well it was just the battery was gone

i picked up a new one and works as if new

thanks again for all ur help.
    -RENEGADE-GARY

thanks every one

well it was just the battery was gone

i picked up a new one and works as if new

thanks again for all ur help.
    batterys done really just go..im not saying anything bad, but something hurt that battery, if its the OEM on with the truck then yes i can see it, even if it still is, did u leave lights on, or kill the battery a few times, do u have a system or somethin, and check the cables for corrosion(sp),
    I'll always love you dad- 3-14-45 - 9-03-2011

Quote Originally Posted by Mike@pitb View Post
    MIG welding.... giving people with a complete lack of knowledge of how to weld the ability to fuck shit up since a long time ago...

Quote Originally Posted by newkirk246 View Post
    Pull the battery and have it tested if you don't have a load tester.

If thats good and your confident in good connections at the cables and ground then check the solenoid with a test light. Should have a positive feed all the time on the large stud and when someone is cranking you should have power to the smaller wire. If you do have both, then I would go get a new starter.

If you battery was charged up and your alternator was bad then your truck should still start. It just wouldn't continue to charge the battery and on a newer truck like that it wouldn't run when the battery lost all of its charge as a result.

Personally, sounds like a bad battery to me. Is it the original motorcraft battery too? Hope this helps!

Oh yeah, I left something else out. Hit that starter a few times with a hammer. Not so hard as to break it but enough to give it a little jolt. Then, try and start it.
    Aw feels good. I've been out of the practice for about a year now and still have some of my touch... haha

Thread Information