Project Elsie

Austinlb4

Sep 1, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
So let me start by saying this project was fucked from the start. That being out of the way, I found this beat up old pile for $150 near where I was living.

The previous owner had stripped the interior and cut a nice hole in the firewall and proceeded to dent the shit out of the surrounding metal.

On top of that, when I went to pick it up, the front hubs had been removed and the tires and seat were missing. I said fuck it, found some cheap Toyota Corolla rims and made it work and got it on the trailer and home.

After much debating, I decided to keep the ttb setup and just make it work for a 2wd, but leave the tabs and everything on in case I sell them or choose to go 4x4 later. So I ripped those rusty and greasy things off.

Before:

My buddy Matt welded them up for me after we decided how much wider to go (4”) and after I gave in and went with 35” tires.

And this is where we stopped until I can figure out what I’m going to do for radius arms.

Austinlb4

Sep 1, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
A couple days went by before I had the time, money, and energy to work on it again, but I ended up going to Vatozone and O’Reilly’s and picking up new bearings, hubs, ball joints, and beam bushings. Being my first time doing it, it was a pain in the ass. But got it all done, mounted the beams up with one of the 35s just to see how I liked the fit, and got excited for the progress that was made so far.

But looking at the front end got me thinking about what I’m going to do for a Powertrain. Thought about dropping in another 4.0 and putting a c4 behind it, and that idea lasted all of 5 minutes before I stopped by my little brothers house and saw his LS sitting in the corner. After a short search on a couple apps, I went to go pick up a 5.3 and a th400. Figured why not, the firewall is already cut out and that was all the reason I needed.

And that’s where I am for now, until I go to the swap meet this weekend.

Reactions: Travisfab

Austinlb4

Sep 1, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
Soooo swap meet didn’t pan out like I wanted because I got there late due to a tired brain putting in the wrong GPS destination. I did manage to pick up some brand new Kings and g50 deavers.

Going to try to move the truck to my brothers house tonight so I can get started on cleaning the front and decide how I’m going to mount up the engine and trans. Still debating hacking up this harness and saving some money or giving in and buying a standalone harness.

Austinlb4

Sep 1, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
Shoot for $150 I’d sit in my backyard in it and make vroom vrooom noises lol this thing should rip!
I’d be lying if I said I hadn’t made vroom noises in it already haha. I’m hoping that I don’t run into too many problems trying to build this truck, but I’m already in it triple what I’m supposed to be at this point and it still doesn’t roll yet. I wish the previous owner hadn’t hacked it apart like he did, but I’m making it work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: TotalPozerRaceing

zachwabbit

Oct 18, 2017
Jamul
I’d be lying if I said I hadn’t made vroom noises in it already haha. I’m hoping that I don’t run into too many problems trying to build this truck, but I’m already in it triple what I’m supposed to be at this point and it still doesn’t roll yet. I wish the previous owner hadn’t hacked it apart like he did, but I’m making it work.

Meh financial stability is overrated haha but look at it this way, it’s pretty much a blank slate to build the way you want

Austinlb4

Sep 1, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
Meh financial stability is overrated haha but look at it this way, it’s pretty much a blank slate to build the way you want
And I’m planning on doing just that. Although some things are an inconvenience, having everything stripped prior saved me a whole bunch of time wrenching and cutting. I’ve got big plans for the truck and as soon as I can get a better job, things will start moving very quickly.

Reactions: zachwabbit

Austinlb4

Sep 1, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
Bought some 35s and rims and got the front end together so I could load it up on a trailer and have my buddy haul it to my brothers house so I can start getting the engine and trans in it. Also changed the lines to braided steel and rerouting them. Steering is temporarily stolen from an f-250, but I have plans to switch to swing steering when I can figure out how I’m going to do it.

Reactions: zachwabbit

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds