Round 2 Ranger

HBFENDERBENDER

V8 Ranger
Sep 7, 2008
Signal Hill
Looking for some insight here from the ibeam guys....

I bought this kit off a dude in san diego a few years ago. Its j beams so the radius arms and beams are fully welded together. Now that i have the beams installed and set the bump position etc to make everything cycle, the radius arm mounts land way too far outside the frame rails.

My old beams had traditional radius arms with mounts that are positioned directly below the frame.

With the new setup i dont see how i can make a radius bracket that will fit inbetween the frame and the exhaust and be properly mounted without kicking the radius arms in more to land at the bottom of the frame as the old ones used to. With this said Either i cut these beams up and kick the radius arms inward or find a new beam kit with radius arms and hubs.

Due to the fact that im running 37's on this truck i have the front end pushed forward more to clear everything. I think this kit would work fine on 35's with the tires pushed slightly closer to the cab thus kicking the beams back futher and landing the radius arm mounts closer to the frame but thats not what i want to do.

Its either change these beams or get a new setup i dont know who even makes good beams these days.

I do really like the camburg hubs and spindles i would like something that i can run these on..
http://camburg.com/shop/suspension/f-150-2wd-race-i-beam-spindles-w-camburg-hubs/

20190225_163229.jpg
20190225_163236.jpg
20190225_163900.jpg

Thoughts?

yltaco05

Jan 18, 2006
Fullerton, CA
Im running into the same issue with my bronco. I decided to cut the radius arms off, set beams where i want them, build new radius arms to existing mounts. Also may do the desolate way (i know others do it too) of radius arm mounts at the beam to make life even easier. hard to tell from your pic, but you may be able to do that as well without changing much else.

Attachments

Reactions: HBFENDERBENDER

HBFENDERBENDER

V8 Ranger
Sep 7, 2008
Signal Hill
Thank you for the Replies--- I actually just sent kevin a DM on instagram before seeing this thread. I love those beams hes making thats exactly what i would want to get.

Not sure what he charges im sure he will get back to me sometime soon. The desolate way is an option for sure and would be my best option as far as reusing my existing beams. Im also not sure what hub upgrades are available for the kingpin setup that i have on there now or how strong those stock kingpin hubs are.

Im not sure if most equal length beam mounts and steering is pretty much similar? Say hypothetically if i go to kevins beam setup i dont really want to change my beam mounts cause those are fully welded to the frame.

yltaco05

Jan 18, 2006
Fullerton, CA
I don't think there are any direct hub upgrades for the king pin knuckles. BUT you can get a fabricated knuckle that would allow you to use essentially whatever hub you want. D44, 2.0, 2.5, etc. With the desolate setup, you may be able to reuse your radius arm too. cut off beam, weld on mounts to beam, cut radius arm to length and weld the new tube for the bolt and done. My plan at least if i go that route.

Reactions: HBFENDERBENDER

HBFENDERBENDER

V8 Ranger
Sep 7, 2008
Signal Hill
I don't think there are any direct hub upgrades for the king pin knuckles. BUT you can get a fabricated knuckle that would allow you to use essentially whatever hub you want. D44, 2.0, 2.5, etc. With the desolate setup, you may be able to reuse your radius arm too. cut off beam, weld on mounts to beam, cut radius arm to length and weld the new tube for the bolt and done. My plan at least if i go that route.

There we go! Ive been kind of browsing around for guys that make the knuckles. I mean im sure i could make them myself with the snout blocks and uniballs but im trying to get this truck driving sometime this lifetime.

I think the desolate way will be the most affordable and probably the easiest and quickest as far as getting the truck finished. I guess my biggest concern is spending the time to get these beams setup properly and then run into more issues, i dont want to get this done and regret not buying a legit beam setup.

Call me the black sheep i wish this truck was A arm.... im not a fan at all of ibeams

hxckidd

Clean-Dezert.org
Feb 14, 2002
so cal
www.clean-dezert.org
There we go! Ive been kind of browsing around for guys that make the knuckles. I mean im sure i could make them myself with the snout blocks and uniballs but im trying to get this truck driving sometime this lifetime.

I think the desolate way will be the most affordable and probably the easiest and quickest as far as getting the truck finished. I guess my biggest concern is spending the time to get these beams setup properly and then run into more issues, i dont want to get this done and regret not buying a legit beam setup.

Call me the black sheep i wish this truck was A arm.... im not a fan at all of ibeams
now your crazy. i would take beams over arms anyday.

Reactions: jeepspeed

96f-u250

Sep 27, 2013
VenTurA 805!
I was speaking to Darren ( I think).. at Autofab yesterday about a hub upgrade for 7/8” kingpins, which they sell but dont have on their site, and he seemed very knowledgeable with the setup and made it seem like the weaklink will be the kingpin bushings in the beam end, and they will just be a maintenance item like wheel bearings... I would say cut the radius arms off and make them bolt on to the beam, you should even be able to use the old rad arms and just weld a big piece of tube to the end to slide a bolt through with some tabs on the back of the beam. Then mount the rad arms wherever you want to the frame. Seems like the quickest cheapest way.

Reactions: Turboyota

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds