The DangerRanger

Nov 9, 2008
Carolina South
So, I'm looking at the crossbar that the motor mounts to and wondering how much I need to trim out?

I've also noticed that my kingpin beans are almost completely straight

where as the OG beams are quite angled...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
^^trim till beams fit! That galley way in x-member will limit how far you can push forward... and up travel too...

And listen to Turdblo for sure on the angle of shock mounts. not only lower, but upper too.

Oh, and the radius arm ears for sure too. I don't like the "ear" attachment design for that reason. I prefer the pockets off back of beam.

PS. diggin the progress. I will probably be cutting out those same rivets next weekend. yipee! haha

Nov 9, 2008
Carolina South
Holy crap, those goddamn rivets!
Had to cut out and redo the trans crossmember.

Ford frame rails are not straight, so when I pushed the member fwd it was too wide. SMH.

Got them equal length beams all tacked together!

Reactions: Turboyota
Nov 9, 2008
Carolina South
^^trim till beams fit! That galley way in x-member will limit how far you can push forward... and up travel too...

And listen to Turdblo for sure on the angle of shock mounts. not only lower, but upper too.

Oh, and the radius arm ears for sure too. I don't like the "ear" attachment design for that reason. I prefer the pockets off back of beam.

PS. diggin the progress. I will probably be cutting out those same rivets next weekend. yipee! haha
Trim it till it fits! Will do
What's the advantage of the radius arms in the back pocket vs ears? Is it a strength thing or just looks better? I'm definitely open to suggestions.
I loved reading your builds (so much documentation and insite!) and excited to see what you do with the new one!

I'm open to advise or comments on my shit box, so if y'all sent something wrong or could be done stronger lemme know

Nov 9, 2008
Carolina South
With the beam at 11 degrees caster

, 0 degree camber at the mating surface of the brakes

, at ride height I should be able to build the frame mounts!

Suggestion? Ideas? Incoherent rambling? Let the fabricators speak!!!

mjlogan

space cadet
Feb 9, 2007
ontario ca
I'd build some quick and dirty temporary single shear beam mounts, tack them to the frame and get things swinging. That way you aren't dealing with things totally floating in space. This will allow you to more or less lock down the position of the beam mounts and move to the radius arm mounts. Mock up rad arm mounts in a similar fashion then you can get the big picture and easily cut tacks and move shit around til it's all happy.

Measuring true caster is kind of difficult. I'd find a square machined surface off the kingpin (maybe the top?) to stick your angle finder. The king pin bore may be angled differently than the forging at which you are measuring. The axis of the kingpin will be the true caster.

Nov 9, 2008
Carolina South
I'd build some quick and dirty temporary single shear beam mounts, tack them to the frame and get things swinging. That way you aren't dealing with things totally floating in space. This will allow you to more or less lock down the position of the beam mounts and move to the radius arm mounts. Mock up rad arm mounts in a similar fashion then you can get the big picture and easily cut tacks and move shit around til it's all happy.

Measuring true caster is kind of difficult. I'd find a square machined surface off the kingpin (maybe the top?) to stick your angle finder. The king pin bore may be angled differently than the forging at which you are measuring. The axis of the kingpin will be the true caster.
The single sheer Mount to find swinging clearances is great! Thank you. Bit to cut some metal and try that.

After reading the part about the KP angle you are totally correct. It's about a 3 degree difference. Thanks man

Reactions: mjlogan

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds