The Mullet

chewy0288

Mega Member
Dec 11, 2011
near sacramento
WTF? An actual spool? This is getting way too fancy.
I know right! I missed an excellent opportunity to keep the build in character. But I’ve never trusted the ol’ lincoln lockers. And I’m often that guy who drives his play truck, to go play, and drives it home. So I wanted to be safe with the spool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Turboyota

chewy0288

Mega Member
Dec 11, 2011
near sacramento
Not sure how much hill billy rock KrAwLeR response I’ll get about this. But I’ll ask anyways.

Steering Tie rod from pitman to knuckle, in an ideal world is the same length, as the pitman arm, and mounts on the same 2 plains. (Planes?)

The mullet is not an ideal world. (Shocker; I know)
Due to the cast sections on the ends of the axle tubes it’s going to be a challenge to get the axle side panhard bar any closer to the knuckle. As of now, it looks like about 9” from the steering arm.
The frame side mount I have will put the panhard bar 9” longer than the pitman arm. So I can achieve the same length... but with a pretty big off set between the two.

So, is here a magic length the panhard should be in this scenario?

Should I try, at all cost, to get the axle mount closer to the knuckle?

How much offset is reasonable?

partybarge_pilot

Uno mas Cervesa!
May 14, 2004
Easton, KS
Get them as close as possible without reinventing the universe. Make them the same length. The only time you will notice anything is when it articulates.

chewy0288

Mega Member
Dec 11, 2011
near sacramento
Lmao, honestly gave it some good thought this morning.

Anyways, what about something like this?
(Prepare yourself this is a great drawing)

Push the coilover out and squeeze the track bar behind it mounted to the C

84projectford

Sep 8, 2010
Phoenix Az
You’re overthinking it. Do like barge said. The radius arms are going to be more of an issue over time than the panhard bar will be. Biggest thing is keeping them at the same angle looking from the front and same length. That will hold off the bump steer

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds