‘83 Ranger 5.0HO swap

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

83RangerXLT

Sep 9, 2021
Central FL
The original 2.3 Lima in my ‘83 Ranger 2wd chucked a connecting rod, so I decided to throw a ‘92 5.0HO in it. The 5.0 came out of my ‘92 Mustang GT that I had coyote swapped, so the engine was just lying around in the garage. The engine is moderately modified with Edelbrock Performer cylinder heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, 70mm throttle body, and Ford Motorsports “E-cam”. Nothing special really, just 250-275hp/300ft-lb tq realistically. I’m going to be using Transdapt mounts, and possibly the Hedman swap headers, unless I can find something better that will work. My original intent is to rebuild the factory C5 transmission, with the correct SBF bell housing and converter. I’ve ordered all of the parts already. I’m trying to keep it simple and cheap initially. Sourcing the engine harness and ecu is probably my biggest combined expense. (I hope). To keep EFI on the 5.0, I will need to plumb a new fuel system, but I’m unsure if I will try to use the factory tank, or upgrade to a bed mounted Jaz cell or something. My eventual goal will be a prerunner truck, but that might be a while off. My next project will be swapping the anemic 6.75” rear for an 8.8 or 9”.
I’m early in the build, so if you have experience, please make suggestions! Thanks for following!

Attachments

Reactions: Turboyota

exp24

Jun 4, 2006
Ramona
We did the same setup on our ranger, ran it for a while stock than built it to a 331 stroker. We are running a C4 and went with the Edelbrock Proflow 4 EFI and Aeromotive fuel components. Super happy with the set up, we had trial and errors for many years working the bugs out. Here is a link to our build

83RangerXLT

Sep 9, 2021
Central FL
We did the same setup on our ranger, ran it for a while stock than built it to a 331 stroker. We are running a C4 and went with the Edelbrock Proflow 4 EFI and Aeromotive fuel components. Super happy with the set up, we had trial and errors for many years working the bugs out. Here is a link to our build
My goodness, that is a very nice build! Mine will be no where near as nice, but a man can dream!😂 Your truck is what the “poster on the wall” version of what mine will be. It gives me inspiration! Thank you for sharing.

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds