I guess we’ll call this day 7 update. I was alone today so progress is a bit slower than usual. Got all the shocks rebuild and put back together. New shafts all the way around. Got the rear shocks final installed on the truc
Super stoked on the way these came out
After dicking with the shocks most of the day I got the front end final assembly done. Got the ball joints finally torqued down and started messing with the steering. What a fucking nightmare. Tried about 6 different orientations of the steering trying to get it to cycle properly and clear. At this point Joey showed up to help and we fucked with it for close to 3 hours before figuring out a way to orient the tie rods and get everything to clear at all points throughout the travel. I hate stock style steering I almost drew up a swinger to do a little single swing steering setup but right before I gave up we got it figured out.
I should probably go through these hubs as well. Never messed with d35 stuff and not sure what all it entails or any special tools I may need. Besides that the truck is pretty much ready to sit on its own weight. I need to bump it out and put a tire on it and see if I’m going to need to do some firewall “messaging”. I assume I am. I’m going to have to hold off on putting the truck back on the ground until Saturday afternoon when the front fenders arrive since I would like to make sure the tires clear the fenders at bump. The truck doesn’t bump high by any means and I’m sure the will clear but I would hate to blow my brand new fenders into pieces on my first mega huck brooooo!
Other than that these just a few little detail things to finish up and fluids that need to be topped off. Should be able to start driving this thing around early Sunday afternoon if all goes to plan
Day 8! Only 2 tech screws were used today so that’s a good day.
Got the truck just about buttoned up. Last 10% takes the longest every time
Mike got the rest of the firewall sealed off where the heater core was and siliconed in. After that he got all the interior wiring cleaned up and removed 4 potential fire hazards. Lots of Hispanic wiring was going on....
For right now there won’t be a dash. Just the gauge cluster zip tied to the column. You know you’ve done it.....
I worked on getting the firewall and inner fenders trimmed out the clear the tire at full bump/ lock. I think the only issue is going to be that at full bump/lock the tire is going to kiss the windshield wiper resi. Oh well
All the little detail shit is super time consuming. Steering got final assembly, loc tite, anti seize ext.
Made a little mount for the filler neck
Nothing too fancy it was pretty half assed but will do the trick
You know it’s getting close when you form a list!
I got one side front hub prepped, the other side the little pin that keeps the spindle nut from spinning is stuck in there so I can’t get it apart. If anyone has any d35 tricks to get it out I’m open to whatever since I would really like to prep the other side for peace of mind.
My dad came in this morning and plumbed all new brake lines for the truck and we got them bled. Interested to see how these willwoods work. Pedal feels really good so I think it will be able to lock them up
Got the diff topped off and the rear of the truck on the ground. Shocks are charged and bypass tubes are set so the rear is 100% done.
Slapped the hood back on it and took a step back to admire our creation
My buddy picked up the front glass so that will be here tomorow morning
After we get the glass mounted and trimmed to fit the tires at bump the truck is ready to sit on its own weight and essentially ready to be driven. A few little odds and ends to wrap up, trans needs fluid (it all leaked out when I pulled the driveshaft), front end will need a tape measure alignment, and it still needs limit straps up front
If I have time tomorrow I will do a little exhaust for it. It’s currently just cut off right after the cat but I have plans to do something pretty sweet so we’ll see
Didn’t get a lot of progress pictures today. It was just me and mike and we were just going assembly and mounting glass most of the day. Nothing too exciting. Mike was pretty proud of his first CAD part he designed for the battery hold down though!
So here it is. Truck is all finished up minus a lot of little details but we got it good enough to drive around and work out all the little issues(we quickly found some). Got the truck back on it’s own weight and did a quick half ass toe adjustment. I’m just going to dump a bunch of pics of the finished product here now
I figured DR was either going to love or hate this exhaust but either way dgaf cuz it will drop boxers on Instagram!
Mike taking it for a rip getting a feel for a truck with some real power
Hard parked in the middle of the street
I planned to drive the truck home today and begin daily driving it to work out any bugs it had but then this little fucker started leaking
Super annoying this was the only portion of the brake system we didn’t touch as it was already existing plumbed on the radius arm. Tried to tighten it down and it just spun so the threads inside must be stripped. Major bummer I will probably have to wait until Monday to get parts for it if I can even find somewhere still open at this point.
So there she sat
I let Joey set up the tail light wiring so no surprise it was hanging behind the truck at race mile .01.
I’ll continue to update this thread as I add little stuff to the truck. I plan to mount a jack, build a center console cup holder deal, and clean up some plumbing and wiring as I start to make the interior a little more comfortable.
For anyone who cares you can give me a follow on Instagram @_coleedmonds or @decomamotorsports for more daily truck bullshit and updated with this thing that I don’t deem dr worthy