“Red Rocket” 88 ranger leftover parts build

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

toyotacole

Jul 13, 2014

Got my brake issues fixed Sunday and been driving it around since.

It has become apparent(and I knew this was going to happen) that the power plant in this truck is not going to work out. The motor actually runs really well. Runs super smooth, makes absolutely no noise, and fires up every time. But it is severely, severely underpowered. Like it’s almost comical.

So far I’ve been able to get the truck up to about 50mph and it’s about all it has

To keep up with the spirit of the spare parts build I have the 4.0 out of the “redemption ranger” sitting in the floor of my shop And I think it would be the perfect choice for this thing.

Does anyone on here have experience making a stand alone harness for a 4.0? I stay far far away from almost anything to do with wiring and the harness is the only part of the swap that wouldn’t be a breeze for me. If anyone has anything laying around or has knowledge on the subject I’d be willing to pay to have a harness built.

I will still definitely run the truck with this power plant for at least one trip but I have a feeling it’s not going to like me ringing it’s neck in first gear the entire time.

Also looking for a 2wd 5 speed for an ohv 4.0 if anyone has anything lying around. I’d prefer one that’s not blown up....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

toyotacole

Jul 13, 2014
What's the gearing in it right now?
Not sure exactly. My guess is 3.73. I was also incorrect on top speed of the truck. I used a gps speedo app and got the truck up to 62. That’s all it has. 3rd gear 62 mph and it just stops accelerating. 4th is completely useless lol

Just trying to track down a harness for the 4.0. Might end up buying a doner Explorer if I can find one for the right price. Harvest the harness and transmission and scrap the rest potentially breaking even on the purchase price of said explorer.

oorracing

<span style="color: orange;">DR Mod</span>
Jan 15, 2006
Long Beach Ca
My first Ranger was a 2.3l/5-Speed, 4:10 gears on 33” Tires and it was how you’re describing lol 4th gear was an overdrive gear, 5th was useless. The only few times i used fifth was if i could get it to hold 4,000rpm in 5th going downhill and it would maintain speed haha! Probably around 95mph, it was kind of sketchy. Regear the axle to at least 5:13’s and you’ll have fun in it, it’ll be peppy enough to snap tires loose on the street and you won’t be screaming it on the freeway

toyotacole

Jul 13, 2014
My first Ranger was a 2.3l/5-Speed, 4:10 gears on 33” Tires and it was how you’re describing lol 4th gear was an overdrive gear, 5th was useless. The only few times i used fifth was if i could get it to hold 4,000rpm in 5th going downhill and it would maintain speed haha! Probably around 95mph, it was kind of sketchy. Regear the axle to at least 5:13’s and you’ll have fun in it, it’ll be peppy enough to snap tires loose on the street and you won’t be screaming it on the freeway

Haha I think the 2.3 only made like 20 more hp than the 2.0. I think it’s probably not going to be cost effective to put gears in the 8.8. I have the 9” laying around that I was going to use in my other truck so I will probably just finish putting it together and use it in this truck

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds