“Red Rocket” 88 ranger leftover parts build

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

toyotacole

Jul 13, 2014
Yes I forgot to update. Took the truck out to Lucerne last weekend. I’m happy to say the truck did not back half itself, the bedcage didn’t fly through my rear window, and I would definitely put my kid in it!

It was wayyy underpowered (as I expected) which meant it didn’t mash whoops super well. But it did go fast enough to jump!

Took a couple hits at the wall

Pretty sure mikey was driving for these photos

Feeling out the camp jump about 5 minutes off the trailer

Hard parked

The truck was really only capable of 1st gear off-road which meant it was kinda in that awkward speed for getting on top of the bigger stuff. It absolutely puked oil out of every gasket in the motor the entire time but that was really the only issue I had all weekend. I didn’t take it on many long distance runs since I didn’t want to hold the group up with my top speed of 30 mph so I just stuck to hitting jumps and small sections around camp.

The truck handled the jumps super well. Did a little tuning to the rear and got it working a bit better.

Unfortunately it’s time to retire the 2.0 in favor of a little more power and getting the truck a bit more usable. In spirit of the “leftover parts build” I’ll be swapping in the 4.0 out of my other truck “the redemption ranger”. The motor seemed to run healthy durring the 15 minutes I drove it before parking it and cutting it in half so I think this will be a nice little upgrade for the truck.

I’m looking for a few parts for the swap if anyone has any leads on anything. I need a wiring harness for the ohv 4.0 seeing as that when I pulled the motor out of the redemption ranger I favored a sawzall when removing the old harness. Also looking for a 4.0 bell housing for a c4 to 4.0 ohv or even a turnkey c4 if anyone has any leads

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

President

ShakeWeight user
Jul 29, 2014
Fort Collins CO
As the pilot of this fine machine at the wall. It direly needs more balls. It really would rock your socks off it it had power and gears.

toyotacole

Jul 13, 2014
And for those of us on here who don’t update our build threads....

Definitely stoked for my friends on the way their trucks worked

Rode with mike on a night ride out to the sand dunes. Truck makes good power and sounds like a TT. He’s just waiting on a winning scratch off ticket to buy some bypasses and the truck will haul ass

And the crowd favorite.... joeys explorer

This think will probably go down as the greatest truck I’ve ever built(most complete truck I’ve ever built). Dude pretty much hit the face of every jump we found as fast as he could go. With the new valving in the rear coil overs (thanks to Kevin) the truck is handling night and day better. Cruised it around all weekend 4 people deep and pretty much out hucked all the 1450 trucks we were with in his mom car suv prerunner contraption.

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds