Then decided it’s that time in the build for the truck to come inside. Tired of the once a week scotchbrite...
Got the truck in the shop and chapped the shocks hoops. Going to be going with a real engine cage tied into the cab cage because why not?
I’ll probably be converting the beams to have a heim on the pivot end and give them a bit more width while I’m at it to better match the rear end. I have a set of 3.0 bypasses to add to the front as well.
Got the new links set up as well. Gained like 4 inches of ground clearance with these as apposed to the old ones
Going to build a simple single swing steering setup as well
Got started on and engine cage and figuring out front shock mounts
Packaging is kind of a bitch. These beams aren’t super wide so trying to cram the 3.0 bypass in there is a little tight.
Going to have to build new radius arms now as well. I’m pushing the wheelbase forward as much as possible to get the tire out of the firewall, and with the added bump travel I’m getting the tire wants to eat!
Going to have to add a steering stop as well since the tire wants to hit the bypass at bump/lock. I have the shocks setup pretty good to the point where I’m happy with the steering angle I’m able to achieve and don’t mind adding a stopper. (All my other beam trucks have rubbed tire into the radius arm at lock)
Have the heim threaded all the way out on the radius arms so they will work as a place holder for now while I set up shock mounts and the rest of the engine cage.
Trying something a little bit different with the truck. Building it with almost 0” of ground clearance at full bump. I’ll wait for the “that’s stupid that’s not going to work comments” but I’ve heard of a few trucks that were built like 4” into the ground that worked awesome.
Going to tack mock up shock mounts and if everything clears the frame at full droop and cycles properly I’ll run it
Weekend updates. Only got about 8 hours total on it but made decent progress. Got Botha side front shock mounts done
It was an extremely tight squeeze getting everything to work and clear. I’m actually going to have to take a small notch out of the frame to clear the coil spring at full droop.
Final numbers came out to 18.5 inches of travel bumped and strapped and 4 inches of ground clearance. Pretty happy with those numbers out of an unequal kit that’s not super wide. Think I gained about an inch of up travel over the way it was before which is cool and pushed the wheel base foreword 1.5”.
Only made one fuck up and realized the tube I landed to mount the Coilover off of is directly in the way for where my steering column is supposed to come through the firewall.... oh well I still think I can make it work but the steering column is going to look like a snake...
Here’s a few more pics for your viewing pleasure. Shocks bump out 90 degrees to the beam both ways. Next up will be steering and finishing off the engine cage with some more tube
Also tossed a tire up next to the rear end to check ground clearance for the rear. Where I have it at now the rear has 2” of ground clearance. Will probably come down to about 3 when I set up the rear shock mounts
If anyone wants to trade my 2.5 14” king coil overs for some foxs that would be great. I really don’t want to have mix matched shocks but I’m working with what I have for now. I believe the fox have a slightly shorter compressed length so worst case I set it up for the kinds and can swap to the fox down the road without re doing shock mounts.
That’s probably going to be it for the engine cage. Main tubes are 1.75 .120, cross tube and Coilover mount tubes are 1.5 .120 and the two supports I added today are 1.25 .120.
Going to Maby try to get it welded up after work tomorrow then I’ll start on the new radius arms.
Got these plates cut out as well to mount the new radius arms to the beams.
Going to ditch the “clamp” around the beam style radius arm in favor of one that mounts off these tabs off the rear of the beam. Ordered up some 1.75 solid stock that I’ll bore a 3/4 hole through the middle of to start the radius arms. Going to do a super simple high ground clearance style radius arm that incorporates tube up top and box plate for the bottom. Was going to do the tube .250 wall but I think 1.75 .120 will be plenty for this light truck. Should gain a few inches ground clearance with the new setup as well.