“Red Rocket” 88 ranger leftover parts build

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

toyotacole

Jul 13, 2014
I also realize I still need to finish cutting off the old engine cage and bump stop mounts but I’ve been procrastinating that task in hopes one of my friends will do it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
Agreed! I got luck that this truck was factory manual brakes. Allowed me to put the shocks pretty much in perfect position

I was just gonna say... how did you get the beans past the frank.... but then I see you have a manual master!? Does it stop well?

And when you are saying ground clearance what are reference points? (And are you talking tires with full air, etc)

I was looking at this stuff last week with my buddy over. If i don't have any tires on... i swear with 17"s I think I am like - 4" or something. Seems like some of these numbers I have heard would need a backiotomy.

Reactions: toyotacole

President

ShakeWeight user
Jul 29, 2014
Fort Collins CO
My truck bumps like.... maybe..... 4 inches off the ground with 250 PSI in the tires. I have never felt anything unusual and have had my fair share of hard hits.

Do whatever you want. I wouldn’t put my kid in it. Repeal the 19th. KiBbEtEcH bumps his stuff to be below sea level so clearly YoUlL bE FiNe.

toyotacole

Jul 13, 2014
I was just gonna say... how did you get the beans past the frank.... but then I see you have a manual master!? Does it stop well?

And when you are saying ground clearance what are reference points? (And are you talking tires with full air, etc)

I was looking at this stuff last week with my buddy over. If i don't have any tires on... i swear with 17"s I think I am like - 4" or something. Seems like some of these numbers I have heard would need a backiotomy.
The truck stops great hahah. Locks the tires up on asphalt no problem. I’d highly recomend.

For ground clearance I’m measuring fully inflated tire to lowest point on the chassis. In my case that’s the radius arm mount and lower king pivot. I know some people say measure the bare wheel for ground clearance numbers since the tire deflects and deflates or whatever but this is always how I’ve done it.

toyotacole

Jul 13, 2014
My truck bumps like.... maybe..... 4 inches off the ground with 250 PSI in the tires. I have never felt anything unusual and have had my fair share of hard hits.

Do whatever you want. I wouldn’t put my kid in it. Repeal the 19th. KiBbEtEcH bumps his stuff to be below sea level so clearly YoUlL bE FiNe.

“I broke my back. Spinal”

stevyboy

Oct 12, 2010
Long Beach
www.youtube.com
So question number 2 about the brake system.

Stock style Master: Presumably from an F350 since it drops out on the drivers side?
Did you buy a different peddle or using the stock assembly?
Front Wilwood 4 piston calipers: Does the front flex enough to soften up the peddle? Typically D44 stuff has a floating caliper.
Rears?

I'm redoing my system here soon and trying to get the brakes dialed in with a wilwood Masters (2: 1 front and 1 rear). Their peddle assembly, their floating calipers for the rear since i run a flanged axle and stock D44 calipers on the front.

FYI. I'm digging the rebuilt. I Always wanted to readjust the shock angles more in towards the vehicle to gain more leverage and hopefully smooth out the ride.

toyotacole

Jul 13, 2014
Got my 1.75 solid stock in. Took a few measurements on the beam and cut out the chunks. They are a lot smaller than I expected. The beam isn’t very wide so to keep the tabs off the back of the beam the piece could only be 2 1/4” long.

This leads me to change my radius arm deign just a little bit so I think it will just be this clevis at the beam end side and a 1.75 .250 wall tube to a bung and heim. Super simple design but I think it should be plenty strong. From what I understand radius arms take most of their load front to back not up and down.(if that makes sense). As in most of the load is keeping the tire from being shoved into the cab and not as much load as suspension cycles up and down. I’ll double pass tig weld these and probably call it good

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds