“Red Rocket” 88 ranger leftover parts build

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

toyotacole

Jul 13, 2014
Today I got the upper links pulled and the jam nuts installed. Made this little jig to keep them the proper lengths while I cut the tubes down for the jam nuts to have room.

Started on the upper link mounts. Got one pretty much wrapped up.

My tungsten was too short to reach into the deep corners so I’ll have to get some more before I finish these up and get them on the truck. Btw these were only tig welded because the mig welded was all the way over by the truck and my welding table is on the opposite side of the shop and I didn’t feel like dragging the welder across the shop…. Oh well it’s good for me to practice

Once the upper links were finalized and bolted back into place I was finally able to cut the tacks holding the housing to the back half and start on cycling.

So far here are the numbers I’m able to gather. 14” of up travel from ride height or 9” of shaft showing on my 18” bypass. I’m sure the truck will sit closer to 10” of shaft showing at ride height to get it closer to level with the front.

As far as I was able to get the truck to droop out before the axle hit the floor was 26.5” of travel. Shock still had 2” of shaft inside the body so I’ll probably assume somewhere around 30” rear wheel travel. Will likely strap somewhere around 28”.

Definitely happy with the numbers in the rear especially the up travel. Had to throw a wheel up next to it for motivation.

In this picture the front suspension is at ride height as well as the rear. The front tires are off the ground about 2” and the rears if they were bolted to the housing would be about 4” off the ground. The truck should have a nice low ride height with plenty of up travel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

toyotacole

Jul 13, 2014
Update:

Got some things from Amazon to mount in the dash and get them all mounted.

Yes that is a knock off switch pro Amazon unit…. It actually seems pretty high quality. Aluminum construction, nice fuse panel that comes with it, and under $200 for a unit that does the same thing as the $650 switch pro. We will see how it works out.

Picked up a set of rear coilovers for the truck as well today. Called my buddy at 4wp and they had a set in stock (a little fancier than I wanted) and he got me a sweet deal so I went and grabbed them. I’ll have to get some extended rod ends and convert the hoses to 90 degrees and they will be ready to rock. They are 2.5 16s performance series with the compression clickers.

Not sure what the best way to get 90 degree fittings comming out of the top cap is. I don’t want to do a whole new hose. I’d like to just use a 90 degree fitting out of the top cap and screw my existing hose into that? Anyone have part numbers for this? Kartek website is confusing and there’s a bunch of different options…

Got my radiator in today as well. It’s also an Amazon unit. Direct replacement for 4.0 rangers and explorers. All aluminum and $150. Seems like a quality part and looks a lot better than the plastic oem.

Started trying to mess with the sway bar as well. The bar itself isn’t long enough. It’s off my buddies explorer and was mounted just outside the frame rail so it’s to narrow for the tube I built into my back half. Also don’t really like the way these arms look. Super short. Not sure how it will affect the bar but I may end up chapping the arm in half and building off the end of it to make a longer and better looking arm. The way I see it the longer the arm the more leverage and the looser it will feel?

Nov 9, 2008
Carolina South
Dash looks tits!
I got a marine grade "switchpro" off amazon and it works awesome! No complaints.
The truck is looking less spare parts/scraps and more next level badass Prerunner/race

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk

Do Dah

May 13, 2012
That looks like an ORB/s.a.e. fitting.
2.5”s usually use -8 fittings.
I ordered some 45° elbows recently from O’Reilly and had them the next day.

toyotacole

Jul 13, 2014
Dash looks tits!
I got a marine grade "switchpro" off amazon and it works awesome! No complaints.
The truck is looking less spare parts/scraps and more next level badass Prerunner/race

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk
Thanks dude. I had a lot more spare parts for this portion of the build that I opted out of using. I had another dash that was jacked up from being in another truck to use, I was going to re use the mix matched shock package, but I made a little bit of money when the rzr sold so I set aside a chunk of money to spend on the truck so that I am happy with it this time around.

I like to think of it as like an MDR era 1450 truck. Low budget truck with a stock motor and small tires. Those dudes had more fun

toyotacole

Jul 13, 2014
That looks like what I need if it’s the right size. No way to really know unless I pull the shock apart. I live 10 minutes from Earls so I was thinking of just bringing the shock down there and getting the right stuff the first time around

Reactions: Horunner

85yota

TT Motorsports
Nov 18, 2004
Santa Maria, CA
www.tt-motorsports.com
On my fox shocks the factory fitting had the size stamped on it. My 3.0 shocks had a 12 on the fitting and they were -12 fittings. Even my 2.5 fox coilovers i used to have had 08 on the fittings which was --8. I would check them out and see what it is and then tear them apart and swap it out.

toyotacole

Jul 13, 2014
On my fox shocks the factory fitting had the size stamped on it. My 3.0 shocks had a 12 on the fitting and they were -12 fittings. Even my 2.5 fox coilovers i used to have had 08 on the fittings which was --8. I would check them out and see what it is and then tear them apart and swap it out.
Interesting. I’ll take a look tomorrow. I assume it would be the same size male and female end?

Latest posts

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds