“Red Rocket” 88 ranger leftover parts build

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

bullnerd

Feb 1, 2008
I dig your back half tube design/layout, (don't get exited, I live in NJ, this means nothing), looks simple but strong.

toyotacole

Jul 13, 2014
I dig your back half tube design/layout, (don't get exited, I live in NJ, this means nothing), looks simple but strong.
Haha thanks man. I’ve always been a fan of the dual stacked spares. I’m pretty happy with how this laid out and the fact that there’s been a good location for everything so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

toyotacole

Jul 13, 2014
I was out of town this weekend so no weekend updates butttt

The axles came in from Dutchman

35 spline 4130. Shouldn’t have an issue with breaking them with this power plant.

Got one mocked up today and she’s a wide bitch. I fucked up somewhere when ordering the axles and had to machine the center bore of my rotors out another 1/4” but it’s done and everything fits well

Still waiting on my 3rdmember. Cant do shock mounts until the 3rd is in and driveshaft is made since I am concerned the driveshaft will want to enter the cab at full bump. Once all that shows up I’ll do upper shock mounts and the rear will be almost wrapped up

toyotacole

Jul 13, 2014
Swapped the rod ends out on the new rear coil-overs after work. Fox puts a HEALTHY amount of red loctite on these things. I had to apply a serious amount of heat to get them to come free. So much heat that it ruined the anodizing…. Good thing I’m not using these anymore

Got the coilovers mocked up on the truck. Still need to install the 90 degree fitting

I think these are going to work out. Same length rod end as the bypass. I think I’ve decided to just go ahead and build the rear shock mounts. My 3rdmemeber is still who knows how long from being done and if the driveshaft wants to come into the cab at full bump then so be it. Grab the 4.5.

Anyone see any other reason not to do shock mounts without the driveshaft? I have a feeling by the time the third member comes the trucks going to be almost finished and I don’t really feel like waiting to do shock mounts and bump stops…

85yota

TT Motorsports
Nov 18, 2004
Santa Maria, CA
www.tt-motorsports.com
I would do the shock mounts and know that if driveline contacts something you will have to clearance it so if willing to do that and can "Mock Up" a driveshaft and see what it may or may not hit then you'll be fine.

toyotacole

Jul 13, 2014
I would do the shock mounts and know that if driveline contacts something you will have to clearance it so if willing to do that and can "Mock Up" a driveshaft and see what it may or may not hit then you'll be fine.
Exactly how I see it. I crawled under there today and did a little eye ball action using a tape measure off the end of the trans to approximate pinion location and it looks like if anything it’s going to be close or possibly just need some massaging with a sledge hammer….

Reactions: SByota and 85yota

partybarge_pilot

Uno mas Cervesa!
May 14, 2004
Boringsville
internet expert time lol.

Is there enough of a flat for the shock bolt head in the side of the trailing arm? Looks like the weld sticks up past the surface and the shock boss isn't big enough around.

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds