“Red Rocket” 88 ranger leftover parts build

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

NOCONTROL

Aug 26, 2020
Parker AZ
I went back and forth between stock 5 speed and c4 but always had the speed sensor hooked up. Does it rev past 4k in neutral? It should. Throttle cable is right I hope ?

toyotacole

Jul 13, 2014
I went back and forth between stock 5 speed and c4 but always had the speed sensor hooked up. Does it rev past 4k in neutral? It should. Throttle cable is right I hope ?
Nope. Hits the same 4k cut when the truck is in park. That’s when I first realized something was weird. The day I got the tach hooked up I decided to rev to limiter in park to see where it was. Only hit 4k. Sent my buddy a video like “wtf this thing only revs to 4k?” He said that it limits it to 4k while in park or neutral but when in gear will rev out.

After doing a few laps warming the truck up around the block I decided to try to take it to limiter in 1st gear and hit the same 4k block.

If I hadn’t wired the tach I would have never know since it definitely feels like it’s above peak power by 4k

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

toyotacole

Jul 13, 2014
Isn’t @marcytech running this same setup? He was just active a minute ago. Maybe he has some insight.
Sohc motor on obd1 ECU tho…

I thought Maby it was in some sort of limp mode since I don’t have 02 sensors but being obd1 I doubt it’s smart enough to do such a thing.

I was going to try getting ahold of Juanco tomorrow and seeing if he has any insight as well

toyotacole

Jul 13, 2014
That’s also what I was going to say. “IF” you can get ahold of JuanCo he would be the man to know.
It’s crazy. Last time I tried to contact him I couldn’t find a phone number or any contact info anywhere. All I could find was a Facebook page that hand to been updated in years. Shot him a dm and he replied within 5 minutes on a Saturday. Go figure.

toyotacole

Jul 13, 2014
Post the number off the computer. What year is the engine ? Does it have a cam sensor in the back where a distributor would be?
Engine is out of a 92 explorer. Not sure on the came sensor. I can post ECU numbers tomorrow morning

mjlogan

space cadet
Feb 9, 2007
ontario ca
Anyone have any thoughts on this 4k rev limit issue.

Apparently there’s a 4k limiter when the truck is in park or neutral from the factory. With no electronics hooked up to the c4 transmission the computer thinks the truck is always in park thus always limiting me to 4k rpm.

I’m 99% sure I have the 5 speed ECU in this thing(I have like 4 ecus floating around but I’m pretty sure I used the one that was paired with this motor).

I understand the motor is probably done making power by 4k anyways. But the limited it hits doesn’t really feel like a rev limiter. It kind of cuts the truck off not allowing to bounce off limiter like you would want. I’d like to get this issue resolved before taking the truck out if possible.

I've converted a couple 4.0ohv/auto trucks to manual trans and can't remember anything that would rev limit it at 4k. There were 2 sets of wires I had to jump, one was the NSS and I can't remember what the other was. I thought only the SOHC trucks had the rev limiter in park.

How's fuel pressure look? Toss a gauge from the schrader valve on the rail and zip tie it to the cowl so you can see what it is doing when it hits this 4k limiter.

I ran into an issue on one of my 4.0 OHV trucks that I had 2 plugs hooked up backwards and it was grounding the fuel pump through a different circuit and causing it to run like crap.

toyotacole

Jul 13, 2014
I've converted a couple 4.0ohv/auto trucks to manual trans and can't remember anything that would rev limit it at 4k. There were 2 sets of wires I had to jump, one was the NSS and I can't remember what the other was. I thought only the SOHC trucks had the rev limiter in park.

How's fuel pressure look? Toss a gauge from the schrader valve on the rail and zip tie it to the cowl so you can see what it is doing when it hits this 4k limiter.

I ran into an issue on one of my 4.0 OHV trucks that I had 2 plugs hooked up backwards and it was grounding the fuel pump through a different circuit and causing it to run like crap.
Interesting. I will have to do that. Just odd the truck seems to run pretty well otherwise. Also odd it does it in park. If it were running out of fuel pressure due to a bad pump or clogged filter I would think it would amplify the issue under load?

I’ll try to get a video and throw it up as well

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds