“Red Rocket” 88 ranger leftover parts build

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

toyotacole

Jul 13, 2014
Still chipping away at the little stuff:

Got the jack handle mounted on a spring loaded deal. Decided to make it bolt on since I didn’t want to grind back paint and re spray

Got the truck drooped out to measure for limit straps

Going to strap it right around there with 17” of the 18” bypass used.

Took the truck for another little spin today after work. Trying to get the 3rd member broken in as much as possible before the dirt. Not sure how much that really matters in a low hp application like mine

Called Juanco today to discuss my neutral safety switch issue. He told me even if I bypass it manually the ECU will still think there’s a transmission in the truck and put it in some sort of limp mode. He said he will tune it out as well.

I think it’s best I wait to have the ECU tunes and dialed before I take it out. I wanted to test this weekend but I think tomorrow I’m going to pull the ECU and send it down to him to tune. With the truck not having 02 sensors and a 4k rev limiter, I think there’s still a lot left on the table for the way the truck can run. I think it’s best I stay patient (which is so fucking hard for me) and wait until the truck is running completely dialed before testing.

I’ll use the time that the ECU is out being tuned to really go through and tidy everything up and make sure everything is perfect before testing so I have the best chance of success

Here’s a few more pics for those who aren’t on Instagram

She made it to the gas station

I have a few videos I might throw up later as well. Like I said I think there’s a lot of room for improvement on the way the truck is running. It feels solid and power feels decent but there’s lots of snap crackle pops on decel (I’m sure this thing is pretty unhappy without 02 sensors).

Also still gotta figure out what’s going on with my reverse gear. It definitely doesn’t feel like a linkage issue as I put it into reverse and I can feel it drop in. No lag either. But it’s slipping bad. Still no signs of slipping in any other gear. Super odd

84projectford

Sep 8, 2010
Phoenix Az
damn she came out awesome! Nicely done!!!

no o2's just puts it in open loop so under 2/3 to WOT, it would run the same as with the sensors. pops on decel are lean pops from cylinders shutting down, i wouldnt worry about it.

but that limp mode is shitty and for sure worth the wait to have fixed.

Reactions: toyotacole

toyotacole

Jul 13, 2014
damn she came out awesome! Nicely done!!!

no o2's just puts it in open loop so under 2/3 to WOT, it would run the same as with the sensors. pops on decel are lean pops from cylinders shutting down, i wouldnt worry about it.

but that limp mode is shitty and for sure worth the wait to have fixed.
I spoke to Juanco again this morning. Sent him a few pics and serial numbers off the ECU. He said the ECU I’m using needs a chip instead of reprogramming. So no need to send him the ECU he is just going to send me a chip.

I’d just like to have the truck 100% before I take it out. I’ve taken my previous trucks out half assed or almost finished and it never goes well. I’ll just be patient and wait. This will give my time to go through the front hubs and make sure everything is ready to roll. This thing is a blast to drive tho. Manual c4 is a lot of fun. Can’t wait to get it registered and painted with the glass on and drive it around more. Been ridin dirty on the last few test rips

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SByota

Jul 16, 2003
It’s right there in the thread name!

Fire engine red

Painting it yourself? I want to paint Rusty Red and have been looking at the Summit and Eastwood single stage urethane paint. It seems like a easy cheap way to go. I’m no @FasterNU his at home paint job came out awesome,but I want my truck to be all one color.

toyotacole

Jul 13, 2014
Painting it yourself? I want to paint Rusty Red and have been looking at the Summit and Eastwood single stage urethane paint. It seems like a easy cheap way to go. I’m no @FasterNU his at home paint job came out awesome,but I want my truck to be all one color.
My dad has painted quite a few of his own projects so I’m going to take care of the body work and have him spray it at home in the garage.

I also was checking out the Eastwood stuff. It’s a possibility that’s what I’ll go with, but I am kind of leaning towards doing a base coat clear coat. Makes buffing out scratches easier. But then again, the body on my truck is pretty messed up and would take extensive work to fix a lot of it. I will try to fix the major dents and dings and probably just spray it. It’s an off-road truck and it will be treated like such so spending a lot of time on paint and body feels kind of foolish

SByota

Jul 16, 2003
My dad has painted quite a few of his own projects so I’m going to take care of the body work and have him spray it at home in the garage.

I also was checking out the Eastwood stuff. It’s a possibility that’s what I’ll go with, but I am kind of leaning towards doing a base coat clear coat. Makes buffing out scratches easier. But then again, the body on my truck is pretty messed up and would take extensive work to fix a lot of it. I will try to fix the major dents and dings and probably just spray it. It’s an off-road truck and it will be treated like such so spending a lot of time on paint and body feels kind of foolish

That’s where I’m at. The body on mine is pretty beat up too. I know it’s going to get sand blasted by the desert and driven through bushes. I’m doing minimal body work and just putting paint on it.

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds