“Red Rocket” 88 ranger leftover parts build

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

toyotacole

Jul 13, 2014
Idk why you dont have one.. are they stock brakes off something..? I dont remember what axle setup you have..
The brake caliper bracket should be bolted to whatever tabs you have on the axle and have been the main structure for the brake assembly.
Then these bolts or slide pins, bolt the caliper to the caliper bracket.View attachment 230181
Yikes. It seems as tho I may have fucked up big time here.

The brakes are just stock explorer rears from an 04? Explorer. I ordered the whole “oem replacement” brake kit on rock auto. Included calipers, rotors and pads. Did not even consider the existence of a caliper bracket. Just tabbed the axle for the caliper and bolted it on

Worked for the first testing session. Next trip out the spring thing on the back of the pad bent leading the the pad floating around ALOT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikey09120

Michael Gonzalez
Dec 5, 2009
Camarillo, CA
www.facebook.com
The brake caliper bracket should be bolted to whatever tabs you have on the axle and have been the main structure for the brake assembly.
Then these bolts or slide pins, bolt the caliper to the caliper bracket.
This.

EDIT: Looks like you realized your mistake.

Nothing some cutting and welding can't fix!

Those calipers only have one side with pistons, and thus needs to be mounted on a floating slide.

Thank god there wasn't a bus full of nuns around...

toyotacole

Jul 13, 2014
Pretty good test of those floating pins.
Capable of approximately 69 miles before catastrophic failure. It progressively got worse as well to the point I stopped using the brakes all together. Thank god for engine braking in the trans.

Curious if I will see improved braking after fixing the issue

Reactions: bullnerd

toyotacole

Jul 13, 2014
This.

EDIT: Looks like you realized your mistake.

Nothing some cutting and welding can't fix!

Those calipers only have one side with pistons, and thus needs to be mounted on a floating slide.

Thank god there wasn't a bus full of nuns around...
Yep. Makes much more sense now. Having trouble finding the caliper bracket tho. Only seeing listings on rock auto for front brake caliper brackets. Nothing for the rear

partybarge_pilot

Uno mas Cervesa!
May 14, 2004
Boringsville
Junk yard and 10 minutes.

I'm surprised that pads stayed there. The bracket is normally what keeps them located.

I use this to pre-run yards virtually.

Not sure if it works out there.

Reactions: mikey09120

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds