01-10 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Pics

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

04yfzkid

I are smarts
Mar 21, 2007
Flagstaff, AZ
So I am looking at a new DD and I am not sure what I am going to get. Either something nice or a beater. I am leaning towards a Explorer sport trac but I can't find the info I am looking for. Maybe some owners or people that know about them can chime in. I would like to keep this as a clean truck that the most beating it see's is a slide on a dirt road.

Do they all come with v6's? If so are they all SOHC?

How are they on realibilty?

What suspension do they use? (ie edge or regular ranger)

Do they all come with the rubber floors or is that an option / stripo model.

Thanks for everything guys
-Mike

Josh1254

Sep 1, 2005
Vista CA
I know they dont have a smaller motor than a 4.0 and Im pretty sure they are all sohc's. They have the same front end as an explorer and a ranger edge. I doubt they have a stripped down model...As for realiability they have the edge and explorer frame, motor, suspension, rear end, etc so I would say they are somewhat reliable.

Reactions: carlover

garagebuilder

May 2, 2004
Riverside, CA
all st's have 4.0 sohc's from 01-05, 06 the body changed and has irs and is available with a v8 now. there are a few 01-05's that have manual 5 speeds, but honestly the auto is pretty badass as it is a 5 speed also and the first 3 gears are close ratio.

all edge or explorer kits slap on as stated above, the rear is a different story, you could probably bolt on standard explorer springs if you wanted a direct bolt on, i have 64"s on mine but i got pretty custom with it and had to basicly replace all drivetrain parts from the trans back.

things that suck:

rear window seal
gas tank gauge
stock racks
odometer
rear doors fall off after extensive stock baja mashing
silly 4"od aluminumn drive shaft
gay bumpers
fiberglass is about $100 more a fender than ranger glass if you want good shit

things that kick ass:

those silly looking bed rail hooks, yea, you can open beer bottles with all 6
12v outlet in the bed
rubber floors(hose them out son)
sohc and 5r55e(or something like that)
16-20mpg
4 doors
rear seats fold very flat so you can sleep or get down, also storage behind seats
bolt on kits easy to get
awesome weight balances to power ratio (you dont get stuck at all)
grocery getter status (all the bitches flock)

i've been meaning to takes and post some pics of mine for a while now, maybe this thread will give me some inspiration to do that.

Reactions: carlover

carlover

Mega Member
Jan 23, 2007
fontana
St's are pretty badass. I keep tossing the idea of ditching my explorer for one. The only issue i see is the bedspace for making a cage/shock setup.

garagebuilder

May 2, 2004
Riverside, CA
St's are pretty badass. I keep tossing the idea of ditching my explorer for one. The only issue i see is the bedspace for making a cage/shock setup.
very tight but do-able on leaf springs, doing some sort of link setup would be a different story and definetly was tossed around in my head for a few months.
here is an older pic to give an example...

Reactions: SportTrac475

OceansideLocal

This is bat country!
Aug 31, 2007
San Diego , Ca.
Definatley i cool idea mikey! not to many of these things built around...And like stated above using edge/ explorer blot on stuff is a definate plus!

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds