07 ranger rebuild

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

heezay

Smoke meth, hail satan.
Nov 27, 2011
buena park
Ive had this truck for a little over two years,

bought this truck from sean (mvloc66)

Original build thread here Champagne MS '07 Ranger

This was my commuter for a couple years, And I had posted it for sale before all this covid bs, but now with my down time (related) Ive started working on some much need maintenance and updating.

Plans are to still sell it after rebuild, but you never know.

This was the truck when i got it

heezay

Smoke meth, hail satan.
Nov 27, 2011
buena park
Fast forward two years, I bought a new 2020 tacoma to daily, so this thing went up for sale. Early into all this covid hysteria, I got laid off at work, I decided to pull apart the front end and clean it up, Initially I was just going to pull the kit, blast and coat, and reinstall with fresh hardware. But I noticed quite a few issues that I'd never taken the time to notice daily driving the truck (and the few offroad trips in the truck)

The main issues were:

The driver side upper arm was binding on the shock hoops, not allowing full droop, the strap still had 1+ inches left, and although I blame a very small part of this on the alignment cams slipping the shock hoops clearly was not built correctly.

So new shock hoops are in order.

I started pulling everything off and noticed even more, Cracks abundant, hubs are not installed correctly, and to top it off the control arms were mounted reversed (passenger arm on driver side, and vice versa)

At this point im still working on tearing everything down and cutting off all the janky stuff, cleaning frame, and reinforcing mounts and plating.

I drew some new upper control arm pivots and had them cut

Got new plugs/wires/headers and threw on some autofab motor mounts i had laying around

heezay

Smoke meth, hail satan.
Nov 27, 2011
buena park
Got a few things done. Front kit is all back on, still playing with caster numbers

Started grinding out and welding the cracks everywhere, along with welding up the pockets, but the pulse board on my machine seems like it took a shit so the welder is currently back in Tennessee getting repaired. Puts a little damper on progress but I’m still waiting on parts and my bender I’ll work on other stuff in the meantime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bullnerd

Feb 1, 2008
UCA mounts look sweet! (As Does the rest of the truck! )

Is that a common way to do it? With the frame notches?

armrunner

OG Member
Feb 12, 2006
Bakersfield, CA
Is that a common way to do it? With the frame notches?[/QUOTE]

It’s definitely being done. Wouldn’t say its a common thing though. Ive seen it more on rangers then anything else.

Reactions: bullnerd

DP_Ranger

Mar 13, 2010
dana point
UCA mounts look sweet! (As Does the rest of the truck! )

Is that a common way to do it? With the frame notches?
Yea I wouldn’t call it common but I’ve seen it done a lot before. I think it’s for droop travel. Either notch the frame or put a bend in the upper arm to clear the frame at bump

Reactions: bullnerd

heezay

Smoke meth, hail satan.
Nov 27, 2011
buena park
Yea I wouldn’t call it common but I’ve seen it done a lot before. I think it’s for droop travel. Either notch the frame or put a bend in the upper arm to clear the frame at bump
Yeah, with the edge the upper arm pivots are quite a bit inboard of the frame, limiting travel a lot.

The factory pivots are also massive pieces of shit, Swiss cheese holes everywhere, for the cams and (ventilation?) lmao I’ve yet to see an edge with factory upper pivots that aren’t bent or twisted.

I just tried to kill two birds with one stone and throw on something that should last some abuse.

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds