1968 Ford F250 1400 Type Have Fun Truck Build

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

84projectford

Sep 8, 2010
Phoenix Az
I got mandrel bent tubing but my exhaust is minimal the Y pipe to turbo. Than a single 3" exhaust out of turbo out the back.
You’re gunna want 4” at min if you can swing it at all and make it fit. Being a t6 1.32 housing, it should be a 5” v band outlet. Choking it down to 4” already hurts flow some, 3” is gunna add some back pressure.

84projectford

Sep 8, 2010
Phoenix Az
You can try it but leave your self room for 4”. It will make a difference regardless of straight pipe or not. Choked off exhaust means higher drive pressure. Higher drive pressure is what hurts engine parts, not boost (to an extent). Youre in a real grey area at 3” on 15+ psi of boost. In an N/A situation at 600hp, most guys are running dual 2.5” or even dual 3”, you want to cut that down by half. Yes the boost can make up for that bandaid but you see it on the drive pressure side. If you want room to grow and up power safely, you will have to go bigger.

Turbo or not, remember it’s still a big ass air pump. You want nice flow in and nice flow out. I’d rather have the heads/cam be the restriction and since you are in the build phase of this still, try to make all this work so you don’t kick yourself later for not doing it.

85yota

TT Motorsports
Nov 18, 2004
Santa Maria, CA
www.tt-motorsports.com
OK just need to find some 4" mandrel bent exhaust tubing and will return this 3" exhaust kit that I got now. I believe I only need 2 roughly 45deg bends so 1 90 I can use and then a 90 to turn it out the bedside before the rear shocks.

85yota

TT Motorsports
Nov 18, 2004
Santa Maria, CA
www.tt-motorsports.com
OK gonna go with 4" after I check a couple local muffler shops and a diesel shop to see what they have as take offs or how much.

Cheapest 4" stuff i'm finding it's better off to check the angles I need OR to buy a complete exhaust from a 24V diesel cummins.

85yota

TT Motorsports
Nov 18, 2004
Santa Maria, CA
www.tt-motorsports.com
OK ordered some 4" stuff and a dynomax bullet muffler since I'm planning on driving this on the street and don't want it super loud.

Griffin Radiator showed up today as well as the turbro. Now I'll get to mock that up along with more stuff so than I can fit the shocks and everything else and have nothing look like an afterthought. Also fabbed up a 5" to 4" exhaust reducer out of stainless. The reducer I had cut out was 5 to 3" so once the tubing shows Up i'll mark where it hit and cut it to not reduce any flow. Also I don't have a slip roller so did a lot of slightly angled bends on my press brake than hammer formed it around a piece of heavy pipe I have. Sometimes having a certain tool would make things easier but if you don't have it or need to use it very often there is a will there is a way.

Attachments

FlapJack935

Oh i Member
Jun 26, 2017
New Mexico
OK ordered some 4" stuff and a dynomax bullet muffler since I'm planning on driving this on the street and don't want it super loud.

Griffin Radiator showed up today as well as the turbro. Now I'll get to mock that up along with more stuff so than I can fit the shocks and everything else and have nothing look like an afterthought. Also fabbed up a 5" to 4" exhaust reducer out of stainless. The reducer I had cut out was 5 to 3" so once the tubing shows Up i'll mark where it hit and cut it to not reduce any flow. Also I don't have a slip roller so did a lot of slightly angled bends on my press brake than hammer formed it around a piece of heavy pipe I have. Sometimes having a certain tool would make things easier but if you don't have it or need to use it very often there is a will there is a way.
Have a part number on that rad? Same style im looking for for the back of the taco

85yota

TT Motorsports
Nov 18, 2004
Santa Maria, CA
www.tt-motorsports.com
Also looking at packaging for this turbo and everything I was going to run a flex joint on the y-pipe before the turbo so I could hard mount the turbo to the roll cage BUT i'm pretty sure I won't have room for everything and that so I'm gonna ditch it and make a mount to hold the turbo to the motor so there isn't risk of cracking the crossover tubes with that heavy turbo boucing around on them.

littlebird

Feb 26, 2019
NY
Turbo Subarus have some serious exhaust plumbing with no flex pipe and no cracking issues. Good idea to mount off motor and not chassis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds