1970 GMC K20 “Big Truck” - I’m back from the dead

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

UrbanAssaultVehicle

Mar 14, 2012
Chatsworth, CA
So where was I....

Oh yeah so next, I finished up the leaf springs and shackle flip. Had to move the hanger back 4” because I learned the original springs were 52s not 56s like I ordered. So no big deal. And of course had to take some mandatory droop pictures.

and also, for those of you who are into welding and fab, here are some in process pictures of the shock towers I designed and built, all 4130 chromoly plate, tig welded goodness...

I realize I’m starting to jump around so I apologize but my photos are mixed up so it’s making it difficult.But all while doing this I managed to button up the engine enough to throw it in too before moving it to the Bay Area ... begin year 3 of the build...

photos are in no particular order

BECC2837-7A9B-44EA-887F-DD27F8CC69D8.jpeg
0BABAF87-942E-468B-BE20-A3C6194E6915.jpeg
6C9EC07A-E06A-4D1E-8A55-9F2E80451B3B.jpeg

Attachments

UrbanAssaultVehicle

Mar 14, 2012
Chatsworth, CA
Definitely forgetting a ton of details so I apologize, at this point I’m just trying to bring you guys up to speed on where I’m at, I work on the truck damn near everyday so it’s easier to just bombard you.

So one of the most fun parts of this was creating a little brand for myself to use on the truck since Ive designed and made so many parts for it here and there, so based of a nick name I used to hate as a kid that my dad gave me... I decided that I’d call all this “McCroder Built” aka Mr.McCroder , the logo is based of a painting my dad did when he was about 5 years old, I just had the idea cleaned up and simplified and that was the birth of my logo, a turtle with a bowler hat... lol

with this, and a ton of back and forth with autometer, I got myself a full custom set of gauges (11 in total) that would tell me literally everything I would want to know about the engine. And they even worked with me to make my logo a part of the speedo and tach. These I mounted in a speedway motors gauge bezel that has been cerakoted and with this the first glimpse of the cockpit started to come together ...

Attachments

Reactions: Tanker Kranker

dsrtrcr01

Jan 31, 2005
A guy I knew in HS had basically this same truck. Nice lift, Nice wheels and tires and a motor with so much power that I remember pulling the drive shaft out from underneath when he turned it into a pretzel hard launching on the street one night. His was blue.

UrbanAssaultVehicle

Mar 14, 2012
Chatsworth, CA
We’re almost up to date folks! Will give you more details on the fabrication stuff as soon as we get there.

so with the engine stabbed in and the truck mostly together, I decided I couldn’t make the drive to Southern California to work on it for the weekend anymore... yes, I was driving 5 hours pretty much every other weekend to work on it. So I gathered my tools and huge parts pile and towed it up with the help of my dad and old lady.

once it was up here the first thing I needed to address was the fact my OEM replacement radiator didn’t fit right, go figure. I bought a nice aluminum griffin radiator with dual 16” spal fans that was a bit too tall for the factory mounts, so I maintained stock lower mounts and fabricated an upper mount to work with it (pictured below) I then permanently mounted the transcooler, also making a couple brackets to place it just behind the grille while leaving room for my AC condenser.

Then one day while perusing race dezert, I came across a set of walker Evans, I had planned on using them since the beginning but didn’t have the money at the time so I scooped those up. Then while debating if I should wrap them in my 34s or go bigger... I decided that I would just go for it and go for broke, went up to 37s. Without getting too deep into how they fit, I only had to do light trimming on the front corner of the wheel well.
And at this point, I have pretty much gotten the front end situated, the factory inner fender wells are cut for the shocks and bolt back in the factory locations, the radiator and transcooler are in, and I’m moving onto getting the fuel tank mounted next.

so here’s how it sits today, including a full droop photo Featuring yours truly, to put into perspective how much this suspension actually cycles. Full bump, before trimming the fender, and some of the mount detail....

hope you all enjoy! More to come, but now you’re up to speed!

BBD1570A-D9AE-4F57-835C-5E14430BDF51.jpeg
DE38299B-4B2A-4E9A-9D69-56321BB929D0.jpeg

Attachments

nomad

Jul 17, 2009
Very cool project and great work.
My first truck was a 1970 Chevy 3/4 4x4 with a 4 speed that I bought in high school in 1981.
At the time I lived in Monrovia , the engine spun a rod bearing so I had to rebuild it and I had Johnson do all of the machine work.
I still wish I had never sold that truck- these trucks are so simple but all you would ever need.
Keep up the great work!

Reactions: UrbanAssaultVehicle

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds