1992 ranger redemption

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

toyotacole

Jul 13, 2014
I assume there’s still a few people on here and since I’ve documented all of my other builds on here I figure I might as well.

A few months ago I decided to give up on my f150 in the middle of an LS swap and sell it as a rolling chassis minus shocks as is. This is how the truck sat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: metalkicker

toyotacole

Jul 13, 2014
Ok just making sure I still know how to post pictures on here lol. So I had a lot of interest in the truck when I was offered a “partial trade” for this shitbox ranger. He offered to give me what I wanted for the f150 chassis and threw the ranger on top to please his girlfriend.... Dude sent me a couple pictures and the beam kit looked usable so I said whey not. This is how the truck sat right before I dragged it out of the field it had been sitting in for the last 2 years. seats sitting on a peice of wood. horrible mild steel engine cage but it had kings bro! so after dropping off the f150 I loaded this pos ranger onto the trailer and took it home. At this point I had all the shocks off the f150 and a ranger with a beam kit that looked semi usable.

Plans with the truck are to keep it simple. A lot of the reason for getting rid of the f150 was money. I didn’t have the kind of money for full floater rear ends and the type of power it takes to move a 6000lb+ truck around. Plan is to keep the ranger simple with 4.0/5 speed(s) and 9 inch flanged housing. Just something I can take out and be reliable with and hopefully get 4-5 trips a season without having to tear the truck apart.

First thing was to remove all stock interior parts and sheet metal.

Next I picked up 700 feet of 1.75 .120 4130 chromoly. The whole truck front to back will be 4130.
Started with the base of the truck wich is the cab cage. Engine cage and backhalf will be built off this so it seemed like the best place to start.

once everything was shared up the tubes starting flying

toyotacole

Jul 13, 2014
Nice and tight

Got the whole roof section done and burned it in then dropped down for 360 welds

The start of the back wall

Got the main section of the cage all done

Since I was waiting to find a deal on seats I figured I would behold an engine cage main tube layout for the sake of moving foreword

The x in the front and the cross piece will be on tubing splicers to get the motor out.
With that all wrapped up and burned in I decided to move onto the rear and get a set of links together.

These took forever to weld and ended up weighing almost 70lbs fully dressed

Having a plasma table is a game changer. Designed a set of upper and lower link mounts working towards getting rear suspension hung on the truck

Burned them

Hacked the rear of the truck off now it’s floating

Got everything mounted up and wheelbase set

And that’s how it sits currently. I started building the truck exactly 3 months ago and work on it whenever I have free time wich isn’t much between working full time for a local shop and doing work for person customers on the weekend. Updates will come periodically and as often as possible

the bodj

1st post pg805
Mar 4, 2010
Moorpark
Glad to see you're documenting this build! Been following on IG, too.

What I have been doing for pictures is uploading to FB (I change the settings to where only I can see them, so I don't spam everyone), and the you literally copy and paste the pictures into the dialogue box on here.

toyotacole

Jul 13, 2014
Glad to see you're documenting this build! Been following on IG, too.

What I have been doing for pictures is uploading to FB (I change the settings to where only I can see them, so I don't spam everyone), and the you literally copy and paste the pictures into the dialogue box on here.
Good to know! Hopefully the pictures I uploaded look ok. Photobucket seems to be super glitchy lately

Reactions: the bodj

GahnRacing

Bonsai Trimmer
Oct 5, 2012
Clovis, CA
If you're posting from your phone, click the attach files box just below the text box, it should bring up the photos within your phone. Upload them then select insert full image. It's a thousand times easier than it used to be. Also keep chuggin along on this thing. I think we all love raingutters

toyotacole

Jul 13, 2014
If you're posting from your phone, click the attach files box just below the text box, it should bring up the photos within your phone. Upload them then select insert full image. It's a thousand times easier than it used to be. Also keep chuggin along on this thing. I think we all love raingutters
Awesome thanks for the info. It’s been a while since I’ve been on here thought photo bucket was still the only way. Nice to see the website becoming more user friendly

toyotacole

Jul 13, 2014
Nice work! And damn, I think you are kicking my ass on timeline too apparently! I started G4 on 2/24.
Your a lot farther along than me! I’ve been following g4 on here and Instagram. Stoked to see it come together but I think your definitely going to beat me.

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds