1993 ranger rebuild

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

marcytech

Mega Member
Mar 16, 2011
It's rusty because it's so tight it never leaked anything! lol

Yes, please do document this. I didn't think you could use OBD1. Already learning something.

THink you have to cut engine x member some? Besides that... what else? Are motor mounts the same?
most sensors will transfer over to the new engine. blocks are almost identical, so the auto fab mounts i have WILL work. lower "factory" engine cross member is good. im really hoping i dont have to cut the cage engine cross member out. i built it as high has possible and had to cut out the underside doubling of the fiberblass hood to get it to sit so HOPEFULLY its out of the way of the intake manifold. i saw some pics of other trucks and itll be close but i think itll be okay.
i know ill have to make new power steering lines
and im gonna need to pull either 97 explorer sohc fuel lines ( only year with return style) or add a costly aftermarket fuel pressure regulator
cam position sensor is not needed.
i gotta add the new injector plugs to my old harness (if they arent the same)
using my alternator
coils are exactly the same with the same plug

Reactions: ljubera0250

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
WEird, I thought I saw online before that the lower factory cross member had to be modded.

So, all mechanical style work. Doesn't sound like you will have to fab much of anything...

marcytech

Mega Member
Mar 16, 2011
im hoping to not touch the welder this go around. with factory engine mounts it hits on a 4x4 frame. auto fab mounts lift it a lil

charlie_brown

OG Member
Aug 10, 2004
OC/BAJA
just like on my swap.

one thing you will want to do is to get rid of the plastic thermal stat housing. cant get good ones from ford any more and all the pep boys ones suck ass. i used to have to change it once a year.

i found a guy that remade them out of casting. i put that one on several years ago and never again.

04yfzkid

I are smarts
Mar 21, 2007
Flagstaff, AZ
This thing is going to rip even harder than it already does. I'm on the LS bandwagon, but I think an SOHC is right at home for your truck. Stoked to see how it comes out.

One thing I might suggest is do a little research on the high volume oil pump. Well you might have already done this and I'm wasting the time to type this out lol. I have heard of many different types of engines, where people ran high volume oil pumps, and it shoved all the oil into the heads and left the pan dry.

marcytech

Mega Member
Mar 16, 2011
This thing is going to rip even harder than it already does. I'm on the LS bandwagon, but I think an SOHC is right at home for your truck. Stoked to see how it comes out.

One thing I might suggest is do a little research on the high volume oil pump. Well you might have already done this and I'm wasting the time to type this out lol. I have heard of many different types of engines, where people ran high volume oil pumps, and it shoved all the oil into the heads and left the pan dry.
Oh trust me. I’ve owned nothing but 03-06 chevys for the last 10 years so I’m huge on the LS engines but this sohc fits budget wise a lot better.
LS will bring a new trans and added stress to my flanged axle rear end. Two things I just can afford right now especially after recently having my c4 completely built.
I’m on track to do this swap complete for under 1000 bucks engine included.
I have all costs documented and will post it all when I’m done.

I did do some research but will look more into it now that you mention that. It’s only a 20% increase but you never know! Thanks for the heads up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bertismyname

Oct 1, 2018
San Diego
Add an oil accumulator with the h.v. pump. Foa was building some that were better priced than accusump or moroso. The added volume will keep the bearings alive during high r.p.m. runs.

marcytech

Mega Member
Mar 16, 2011
i did some more research and melling advises adding an extra half of quart of oil during oil changes, but people have been running it on stock engines with good results so, as of now, itll get installed!

ripped further into my engine lastnight. found timing chain guide parts in my oil pan so it looks like im definitely doing timing chains. yay ford!
anyone work at ford and wanna hook me up with a timing set? lol

has anyone done this? best brand timing set to buy besides ford oem?

04yfzkid

I are smarts
Mar 21, 2007
Flagstaff, AZ
i did some more research and melling advises adding an extra half of quart of oil during oil changes, but people have been running it on stock engines with good results so, as of now, itll get installed!

ripped further into my engine lastnight. found timing chain guide parts in my oil pan so it looks like im definitely doing timing chains. yay ford!
anyone work at ford and wanna hook me up with a timing set? lol

has anyone done this? best brand timing set to buy besides ford oem?
Good to know! I would probably stick with Ford just to be safe. I'm in the process of setting up commercial accounts at all the corporate parts stores, but it's still a few weeks out. I never actually did the timing set up on the cobra when I did the motors. Got paranoid after we snapped a headstud deep in the block and thought it was trashed. Ended being treated so well at Total Perfomance I paid them to do the rest lol. Anyways enough of this rambletron. Tousley Ford, now Autonation of Ford White Bear Lake, had commercial pricing online for svtperformance members. Might be worth a price check to see if it's still active.

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds