1993 ranger rebuild

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

charlie_brown

OG Member
Aug 10, 2004
OC/BAJA
I was going to say to make sure you change all 3 timing chains. when the sohc 1st came out the timing chain guides sucked ass. had failures in a fast order. may of had a recall on it if i remember right.
i changed mine before i put it in. after 20k miles, you may hear some chain slap at 1st start up.
to change the rear one you either have to cut a hole in the fire wall to access from inside or pull the motor.

are you planing on any mods? cam??

Reactions: cjhoffer93

marcytech

Mega Member
Mar 16, 2011
I was going to say to make sure you change all 3 timing chains. when the sohc 1st came out the timing chain guides sucked ass. had failures in a fast order. may of had a recall on it if i remember right.
i changed mine before i put it in. after 20k miles, you may hear some chain slap at 1st start up.
to change the rear one you either have to cut a hole in the fire wall to access from inside or pull the motor.

are you planing on any mods? cam??
Yeah all years of sohcs suck for timing chain guides. They were said to have updated it in 2002 but those still suck haha. No mods internally. Cams for this thing are like 800 bucks alone and need some other supporting parts and that’s just way out of budget.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bri_man57

Need to Build
Jul 11, 2005
Ventura, California
That sohc will most definitely run on your obd1 stuff. Mine is running off obd2 harness and computer. I get a CEL for a couple things though lol.

Thing should rip when you're done!

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

marcytech

Mega Member
Mar 16, 2011
I’ve got the engine just about finished up
Had some down time while waiting for parts so I got a lil wild with the spray paint haha. Spent more time cleaning this rusty pile rather than actually building it but hey... looking good is half the battle right?
I was thinking of tryn to swap this in before an event in April but I’m not sure I wanna risk it. We’ll see how long this rain lasts. It’s a factor since I’ll be doing the swap in my driveway.

Oh. Anyone got a steering pump for a sohc laying around?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

charlie_brown

OG Member
Aug 10, 2004
OC/BAJA
nice, you got the higher performance intake, and you got ride of the pain in the ass plastic thermostat housing.

$800 for cams? i have not research any but i would like to.

Last edited:

marcytech

Mega Member
Mar 16, 2011
nice, you got the higher performance intake, and you got ride of the pain in the ass plastic thermostat housing.

$800 for cams? i have not research any but i would like to.
yeah on tom moranas site they are 800 + what ever the necessary valve springs cost. yeah a few people including you told me to do the t stat housing so i figured i probably should haha.

Reactions: ljubera0250

84projectford

Sep 8, 2010
Phoenix Az
yeah on tom moranas site they are 800 + what ever the necessary valve springs cost. yeah a few people including you told me to do the t stat housing so i figured i probably should haha.
crower cam will turn your cams to what ever you want. for all 4 of my cam's, it was 400 bucks shipped. made a decent difference and even has a little of that "chop chop" :ROFLMAO:

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds