1993 ranger rebuild

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

marcytech

Mega Member
Mar 16, 2011
So yesterday I got the sohc in. Everything went relatively smoothly and I realized that I didn’t need to rush as much as I did during the whole process cuz I finished at like 3pm lol. But I did take some time to clean up my frame and paint some areas that were left exposed because of the engine being in the way.
Here’s what I gathered so far

The autofab ohv engine mounts bolt directly to the sohc block
Oil pan clears the lower engine cross member with no issues
My upper engine crossmember from my engine cage BARELY cleared the upper manifold but it does fit and I am able to put it on and take it off. So that’s sweet.

I put the ranger back in the garage for now. Waiting for the rain to clear up and I’ll start working on the wiring and stuff

....if the world doesn’t end today Hahahaha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

marcytech

Mega Member
Mar 16, 2011
damn. I barely got a motor out in a weekend. HAHAH
to be fair, a radiator drain and 6 bolts takes my core support off. trans bolts, engine mounts, 3 wire connectors, two fuel lines and a y pipe freed my engine. it was all pretty easy to be honest since its all sure stripped down

marcytech

Mega Member
Mar 16, 2011
started doing stuff after a week off due to rain and such. pulled the truck out and started mounting sensors
the ohv alternator fits on the sohc mount, except for one bolt hole. so ill make a little plate to abridge the gap there

the OHV crank position sensor bolted right up to the sohc block.
OHV ignition pack bolted right up in the sohcs units spot....i think the two are literally idential. ill check wiring specs later
OHV coolant temp sensor and oil pressure sensor also threaded right into the sohc
im gonna need to get a sohc throttle cable and plug wire set.
now im staring to strip the engine harness and gonna work on routing it nicely. most lengths of wires will have to change.

marcytech

Mega Member
Mar 16, 2011
Update on the sohc. The only sensor that didn’t have a home was the IAT sensor. On a ohv it’s it’s own guy. But on a sohc it’s integrated in the MAF. Since I used the ohv MAF I needed to keep the old IAT sensor.
I used this big port where the old egr system entered the intake manifold. Welded a plate and tapped it for the sensor.

Now that that was done, I finished routing all the wires and lengthening what I needed to.

Basicallly. It was just like putting in a another ohv. Connected all the sensors and gave her fuel and she fired right up! Pretty stoked it worked. It’s got good oil pressure and everything’s working as it should

Taking the harness out again and gonna wrap it up with heat shrink and stuff and I’ll start finally assembly this week so I can take her for a spin!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds