1993 ranger rebuild

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

marcytech

Mega Member
Mar 16, 2011
to add... the whine is only from the alternator. there is no issue when the truck is not running.
when the truck is running the noise increases when i start turning lights/ fans on. one noise level up with each switch. that leads me to believe its not really a power cable issue???? possible weak battery?

84projectford

Sep 8, 2010
Phoenix Az
your battery is your main noise and voltage/amp buffer for the alternator. if the battery is going down hill, it will no longer be able to buffer the incoming power as well as before, nor supply as clean of power as it could before. it would be best to load test the battery first to make sure it really is going down hill but what you are describing makes sense. otherwise, you would need to move your cables away from the power wires and see how that works

marcytech

Mega Member
Mar 16, 2011
10-4 ill take it to get load tested. its an optima that i bought from alan on here when he was selling "blems" had it for 4 years. forsure got my moneys worth. i have noticed that sometimes its a little weak when starting the truck

Reactions: 84projectford

Drayke

Always Baja Bound
Jan 29, 2007
Torrance
moving your headset & radio cables away from the power wires is a good idea anyway. Even if the battery swap helps.

partybarge_pilot

Uno mas Cervesa!
May 14, 2004
Boringsville
Do you have the ground wire on the intercomm hooked up? If so pull it and see if it goes away. Making it ground through the radio will eliminate any ground loops which create noise.

marcytech

Mega Member
Mar 16, 2011
Do you have the ground wire on the intercomm hooked up? If so pull it and see if it goes away. Making it ground through the radio will eliminate any ground loops which create noise.
If I remove the ground the intercom won’t turn on. It’s mounted to something that isn’t grounded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

partybarge_pilot

Uno mas Cervesa!
May 14, 2004
Boringsville
If I remove the ground the intercom won’t turn on. It’s mounted to something that isn’t grounded.
What brand is it? I have run all the PCI ones I have worked on with no ground. They will ground through the audio cable. It must be plugged in to make it work. This tip came from Scott Stienberger.

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds