1994 Ford Ranger Cranks but Wont Run

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

stevyboy

Oct 12, 2010
Long Beach
www.youtube.com
So after enough internet searching I've come up with the following...

Probably a bad ground or a bad ECM.
Problem started after sending it big a few times at the TCB Ranch. Basically landed and the truck died on me. I was able to giggle said wires and the truck ran for about 1 min and then died again... My assumption was that I would find a loose wire easily but that has not been the case.

KOEO - No check engine light
KOEO - Battery light on only.
Adjusted both grounds that run into the main wiring harness from the fire wall forward. No change.
Pulled the ECM wiring and plugged it back in. Disconnected and reconnected all major connections.
Checked wiring to relays (all good) and swapped them around to verify. Also checked all fuses with volt meters. Everything's reading 12v.
Jumped fuel pump relay to verify fuel pump works... it works (Yes the inertia switch is down/working properly).
Opened up the ECM and didn't see anything fried. There was some corrosion on the metal prong things on the side but not sure what those exactly are for. Pictures to help

So basically with the Key On Engine Off (KOEO) the ECM is not sending power to the fuse box relays. From my understanding this is because of a ground possibly or a bad ECM.

How does one test this stuff with a multimeter? How do I the ECM or how do I test the grounds wires? Can I just test the continuity from the pin to the engine cage?

This stuff is always beyond my pay grade and I'm just hoping to drive the truck a few more times before I tear it apart for the rebuild.

Thanks

Attachments

85yota

TT Motorsports
Nov 18, 2004
Phoenix, AZ
Nevermind... found the culprit... Ended up being a bad EMC ground that looked connected well (even sand papered the contacts on connectors and frame) but wasn't getting enough contact under shrink wrap. When I gave her a good tug she came apart and bota-bing-bata-boom she is a runner again.
Glas you figured it out. Happened with the fuel cutoff switch on my brother's ranger after jumping once at Pismo since the inertia switch tripped. Luckily he knew about it and reset it and than later he bypassed it

stevyboy

Oct 12, 2010
Long Beach
www.youtube.com
Glas you figured it out. Happened with the fuel cutoff switch on my brother's ranger after jumping once at Pismo since the inertia switch tripped. Luckily he knew about it and reset it and than later he bypassed it
Yeah. Since I'm running all the the stock stuff (motor/gas tank) I figured I'd keep the inertia switch for safety purposes. I think since I've owned the truck it has only gone off like twice...

Latest posts

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds